Open Goal Podcast

If you were to do a Venn diagram of Scottish football fans, you would have

Old firm fans

Childhood fans of old firm clubs who now support a lower league team

fans of premier league teams who think that anything below them are an irrelevance.

lower league supporters.

The top two categories will exclusively like OG and Clyde super scoreboard.

the rest will like AVFTT and Off the ball. 

There will be a small overlap on all. 

Fair fucks to open goal for taking it this far. Something’s clearly working for them although I do think it tends to attract some losers

Tam Cowans dated & cryptic patter on Off the Ball and the toe curling scripted jokes on AVFTT make them pretty dull listens. 

If AVFTT is for bearded hipster wrestling fans and Open Goal is for OF 'lad' types who love hearing Paul Slane say "am horny", what type of football fan listens to that PLZ Soccer Show with Alan Rough and Tam McManus?

I remember watching just to find out if Charlie Adam was signing for us, anything else on there was a chore.

5 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If AVFTT is for bearded hipster wrestling fans and Open Goal is for OF 'lad' types who love hearing Paul Slane say "am horny", what type of football fan listens to that PLZ Soccer Show with Alan Rough and Tam McManus?

I remember watching just to find out if Charlie Adam was signing for us, anything else on there was a chore.

People who listen to PLZ are from a certain clade of men in the UK. I don't know what to call them, sub-Deanos?

They don't aim for the crushed velvet, Barrett Home and Audi on finance middle-management dream, they're not as consumerist. They don't have the sleeve tattoos and whitened teeth, but tend to try follow other fashion trends, all be it with a bit of trepidation. They will go for a mullet, but be too scared to follow it up with a moustache. 

But yeah, just generally pudgy, soft looking lads in their 20s. Souped up Ford Focus, average girlfriend who he'll probably marry without a thought, generally pretty shy, not loud and obnoxious. If he still has mates after years working in a commercial garage they're not a "pack of lads" like Deano and crew. The odd one somehow earns £50k a year doing electrics on the oil rigs or something, but has absolutely nothing to show for it except a lengthy Just Eat order history. Wears funny boxers with Peter Griffin on them still. Doesn't really "do" anything or have any particular tastes in music or anything. His mum hoovers around his feet.

Edited by Jives Miguel

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

What the f**k is 'the Message'?

Eugene Peterson's modern-language paraphrase of the Bible.  Was quite popular among a certain kind of mainline/ more moderate-facing evangelical Presbyterians in the mid 90s to early 2000s, but you don't really hear much about it these days.  Surprised it's come up on this thread tbh. 

I didn't think hipsters were real but then I saw a guy with a beard riding a penny farthing in Edinburgh.  It happened and we let it happen.

I find that OG feels like its trying a bit too hard, so I struggle to get into it.  One thing I did enjoy though was the documentary they did on Slaney getting back to fitness.  I thought that was really good, and that he came across as a really sympathetic character, and it was interesting seeing the difference in fitness levels.  After that I gave OG a go, but nah, I just like my Simpsons memes too much.

I do listen to the Terrace podcast occasionally, but the TV show always feels so wooden and scripted.  Its like they only have one camera, and after one person tells a joke with the camera straight on him, it cuts to one of the others reacting with a wee gesture, again with the camera straight on them.  It just doesn't feel very natural!  They're too spread out, the camera cutting is too abrupt, and there doesn't seem to be much natural flow.  They could take a lesson from OG in that regard.

48 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If you were to do a Venn diagram of Scottish football fans, you would have

Old firm fans

Childhood fans of old firm clubs who now support a lower league team

fans of premier league teams who think that anything below them are an irrelevance.

lower league supporters.

The top two categories will exclusively like OG and Clyde super scoreboard.

the rest will like AVFTT and Off the ball. 

There will be a small overlap on all. 

I'm a little ashamed to say I fall into the second category.  

I was a rangers "fan" as a young kid because all of my mates and my step-dad were too (along with a very large proportion of the population of Glenrothes to be fair).  Strangely enough though the first game I was ever taken to by my step-dad was a Rovers-Dundee United cup tie at Stark's in the late 80's.

Started following Rovers when I was about 12 and started wanting to actually go to games.  It probably also helped that it was the early 90's and we were just starting our most successful period.  

Definitely fall outside the diagram though as I don't like OG or super scoreboard.

I also now completely detest rangers and everything about them.  Thoroughly enjoyed watching them lose in the europa league final a couple of years ago while surrounded by loads of their fans in the sports bar at haggerston castle.

If I go a few days without shaving, and have a bit of stuble does that make me aspiratioinally middle class? 

Over Christmas and New Year I must be solid middle class. 

Got a job interview, strict university of life, school of hard knocks working class. 

Right now, middle class but worrying about rising interest rates. 

Open Goal to me attracts that kind of people you’d use at a gif who clearly out their face on something, 2 pints in each hand swinging in the air spilling over everyone and when the band play one of their classic well known songs they pile thorough to get to front 

5 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

in the past they have talked about;

• Rangers/Celtic players running down their contracts
  • what happens when your Hartson's, your Sutton's, your Darcheville's are out of contract
  • what changing room are really like with pictures of the queen hanging in them
  • money and what Rangers/Celtic footballers really think about appearance bonuses etc etc 

IE what really happens as they have been at Ibrix and the Jungle.

FTFY.  

NINTCHDBPICT000270497952.jpg

20 hours ago, AUcal said:

open goal back when it was first getting going. Couple decent stories and insights on occasion. But its all just far too old firm focused. f**k that.

This....

It's just the same thing over and over again.

It was ok at first but it feels like it's just been on repeat for years.

Only the names change.....

9 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

you forgot to mention the average Open goal listener would batter f**k out of the average Terrace listener  😀

I'm joking im joking before you hipsters get your panties in a muddle.  

Absolutely shat it.

I'd just like to go on record as saying that not only am I absolutely solid and among the top 5 hardest on the forum, but I'm a good AVFTT man to boot.

Happy to go ahead with 10 of your hardest v 10 of ours.

No weapons.

Any man save.

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

Absolutely shat it.

I'd just like to go on record as saying that not only am I absolutely solid and among the top 5 hardest on the forum, but I'm a good AVFTT man to boot.

Happy to go ahead with 10 of your hardest v 10 of ours.

No weapons.

Any man save.

come ahead, toxic masculinity would f**k up you woke wanks every day of the week and twice on sundays