Netherlands (A) - 22/03/2024

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye it's why I'll never totally love him the way other scotland fans do. 

He seems more interested in drawing fouls than progressing the play, like his pal Grealish.

Pinged a few passes about in the first half, should have had an assist from a good cross. Gave Ake a lot to think about with runs down the line and held the ball up well

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye it's why I'll never totally love him the way other scotland fans do. 

He seems more interested in drawing fouls than progressing the play, like his pal Grealish.

Mcginn is quality, one bad game doesn't make a bad player

Agreed today he should have come off instead of gilmour but he is generally a soldier for the tartan army

12 minutes ago, Deego said:

Souttar absolutely horrendous. Andy Robertson’s accent horrendous n all.

Souttar was as bad as I've seen a player for Scotland.

Anyway, that was an anti-climax. Scotland were superb for 70 minutes and then a collapse. Shankland didn't look uncomfortable but that was a bad miss. Equally there were lots of bad displays up front - McTominay and McGinn too. Angus Gunn looked too ponderous when he finally had some pressure on him.

Overall, lots of positives. The Dutch are a horrible side though - full of play-acting cheats and divers. Hope they get horsed in the Euros.

11 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Frustrating night. Played well for 2/3 of the match but the collapse in the final third is concerning.

Shankland did okay, its not as if Dykes and Adams are prolific against the too sides.

We aren't going to unearth a top level striking talent but we need to be more critical.

Hopefully the players can restore some confidence against the six counties on Tuesday.

Adams barely touched the ball when he came on. Mind you, our defence had started falling apart by that time.

2 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Souttar was as bad as I've seen a player for Scotland.

Anyway, that was an anti-climax. Scotland were superb for 70 minutes and then a collapse. Shankland didn't look uncomfortable but that was a bad miss. Equally there were lots of bad displays up front - McTominay and McGinn too. Angus Gunn looked too ponderous when he finally had some pressure on him.

Overall, lots of positives. The Dutch are a horrible side though - full of play-acting cheats and divers. Hope they get horsed in the Euros.

McTominay didn’t remotely play badly tbh. 

31 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

We were badly found out against England, France and now Netherlands.

The elite teams take their chances, the average teams don't.

Is anybody really that surprised?

True but the Dutch will be worried too. How many times did we waltz through their defence or keep them pressed back. If they give chances like that to France, Spain, England or Belgium even, they'll be on the wrong end of a horsing.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

McTominay didn’t remotely play badly tbh. 

No, and most of them didn't either. Some horrendous final touches and missed chances though.

As much as Adams and dykes do the the off the ball shite.

They don't do enough on the ball shite

Shanklin is the best striker we have outside of putting mc tominay upfront. Which by the way we should try.

Between the 3 every time the guy who scores for his club wins out. Dykes maybe along side to set Shanklin up

I love Shankland, and thought he generally played well tonight and was a good focal point - I suppose being brutally honest you can argue that Adams could have done everything that Shankland did while providing more options down the sides etc. 

The argument for Shankland is around chance taking, and despite his miss tonight he is our best finisher. Even the very best miss chances, ultimately. 

I guess that’s the issue at international level though, you are judging someone based on one game - and in that game he was up against one of the world’s best defenders. 

Edited by No_Problemo

41 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Get every single starting outfield player wrapped in cotton wool for the next 3 months 

This is honestly my biggest concern between now and June.After listening to the interviews afterwards I firmly believe, even more than previously, that we have the makings of a special group of players (and lads) who are desperate to make history and get to the knock out stages. If we have our best available to us I genuinely think we will do it too but there are clearly a group of individuals we simply can't do without; Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Gilmour, McTominay and McGinn are absolute musts for us to be at our best. These guys are critical to the starting 11. 

As shite as Souttar was when he came on (very), i think putting him in on the left of a back 3 was a very poor decision when Cooper is on the bench.  Could have brought him on for Porteous if you're wanting to give him a run

The subs all made us worse but the last 3 goals were just all catalogues of errors.

Shankland played fine but he's got to put that chance away and he'll have nightmares about it.

Hickey being fit feels massive for the summer

It hard to know how to feel after that game. We did quite well before collapsing, but probably a bit of a reality check before the Euro's - that might help. I thought McGinn and Robertson were spot on with their post match interviews and so I'd agree with that and leave it there. There's a gap between us and the pot-1 teams. It feels like we have to perform perfectly for 90 minutes to be fully competitive with them unless they're not at it, so that tells me we're a bit short still and it's probably defensively and up front which we all know.

I'm not overly worried ahead of the Euro's, but it would have been nice to have more difficult opposition to put things right against. We can and should win against Finland, Gibraltar and Northern Ireland and it won't tell us a thing ahead of the Euro's. This was the test.

Edited by 2426255

Souttar has been talked about as being a potential option in that role if Tierney wasn't fit, and has played on the left of the centre of defence for Rangers, so it made sense to try him there. It was an absolutely stinking performance and he definitely will have put some doubt in Clarke's mind, but I'd still expect him to go if fit.