Netherlands (A) - 22/03/2024

Some overreactions on here, how often do you see substitutions disrupting the game plan or tactics in friendlies? 

Shankland seemed to help bring out the best in the midfield going forward and we were right in there until the last 15.

Only concerns should be right back and other options up front. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

If we ditched players after a single poor performance we wouldn't have anyone left. Souttar has played well for us before, he's clearly not a starter but he's got enough about him to be part of our squad for the next few years.

This !

I thought the midfield were excellent last night although McGinn was off it a wee bit, McTominay was excellent as was Gilmour.  There's an argument to say either McGregor or Gilmour not both. 

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Never got to see this last night but it sounds like we actually played well despite the scoreline 😂 just some calamitous defending being the difference.

It still irks though that we seem to have a rather wide issue of club allegiances dictating who finds themselves in the firing line while on international duty.

You have some folk saying Shankland played well with others saying his performance proves he isn’t international class.

Similarly you have some saying Porteous was decent and others lambasting him.

You can rarely get an objective evaluation or consensus when it comes to our team.

I think we can all agree, with no hint of prejudice, that Souttar was shite though.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Never got to see this last night but it sounds like we actually played well despite the scoreline 😂 just some calamitous defending being the difference.

It still irks though that we seem to have a rather wide issue of club allegiances dictating who finds themselves in the firing line while on international duty.

You have some folk saying Shankland played well with others saying his performance proves he isn’t international class.

You can rarely get an objective evaluation or consensus when it comes to our team.

About half the folk saying he isn’t up to it after one start are Morton or Dundee fans. Proves your point really.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I think we can all agree, with no hint of prejudice, that Souttar was shite though.

Aye. I never seen it but by all accounts he had a nuke.

I also didn’t think Hendry was as bad as lots of folk seem to be saying on social media. Again I’m assuming it’s mostly Celtic fans who have a weird dislike towards him.

10 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I also didn’t think Hendry was as bad as lots of folk seem to be saying on social media. Again I’m assuming it’s mostly Celtic fans who have a weird dislike towards him.

Henry was excellent for most of the game

3 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Henry was excellent for most of the game

I thought he was very good in the first half. I couldn’t pay as much attention in the second half but he didn’t stand out as having a complete mare from what I saw.

3 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Central defenders ?

Out with Tierney they are all much of a muchness unfortunately, we are seriously lacking quality options. For me Hanley is a massive miss if he can't get fit and stay fit. 

12 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Out with Tierney they are all much of a muchness unfortunately, we are seriously lacking quality options. For me Hanley is a massive miss if he can't get fit and stay fit. 

Bring back liam cooper.  Jack Hendrys holiday in Saudi Arabia is making him worse 

16 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Not the most important thing obviously, but it already annoys the shite out of me that the three Adidas stripes on our new shirt are white, while all the other trim elements (and there are a lot of them), are yellow. Grrrr, etc.

It's to match the badge of yellow and white. Which it does fabulously imo.

4 hours ago, AJF said:

Souttar was calamitously bad, that's a fact no matter which side he plays for, it's a definite no from me, he just isn't good enough. Shankland was okay until he got his one on one chance, which he failed at miserably. It's ironic for him as that's what he usually excells at and why he is in the side.

I'd be more inclined to give him another chance and bin Souttar, we have other players better than John for his position, while not a lot in Shanklands.

Just now, tree house tam said:

Souttar was calamitously bad, that's a fact no matter which side he plays for, it's a definite no from me, he just isn't good enough. Shankland was okay until he got his one on one chance, which he failed at miserably. It's ironic for him as that's what he usually excells at and why he is in the side.

I'd be more inclined to give him another chance and bin Souttar, we have other players better than John for his position, while not a lot in Shanklands.

I never said Souttar wasn’t bad, I haven’t even seen it. I even mentioned that by all accounts he had a shocker. My comment was aimed more at the vastly wild takes I am seeing for players such as Shankland and Porteous, as the opinion of their performance seems to vary drastically dependant on what team someone supports. I’ve no idea whether they were good or bad judging by the online comments.

Just now, AJF said:

I never said Souttar wasn’t bad, I haven’t even seen it. I even mentioned that by all accounts he had a shocker. My comment was aimed more at the vastly wild takes I am seeing for players such as Shankland and Porteous, as the opinion of their performance seems to vary drastically dependant on what team someone supports. I’ve no idea whether they were good or bad judging by the online comments.

Shankland missed a sitter but otherwise was okay. Porteous fell asleep near the end and never closed a guy down quick enough but otherwise was okay. Not sure Ryan starts if everyone is fit but I think he deserves to be on the plane (and that's from someone who used to ridicule him while at Hibs).

Having just watched highlights for the first time I’d be tempted to give Craig Gordon the gloves on Tuesday night to see where he’s at 

Nothing about Gunn from the highlights says safe pair of hands

Souttar I’ll refrain from comment altogether 

Other than that some tidy play

Think Shankland has maybe done enough despite the miss to be considered our number one option up top

Which I didn’t think would be the case