Netherlands (A) - 22/03/2024

Souttar on the right, fine.  Left side of a 3, absolutely not.  Especially as it completely negates his passing as we saw last night.  

I'd blame others far more for the goals we lost than Souttar though, no idea what Porteous is up to at the 2nd and he's poor at the 4th.  He was good up till then right enough

7 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

My first time the Johan Cruyff ArenA ( been living in NL for 20+ years ) impressive when you first enter but ultimately soulless 5/10 I'll no be back.

Agreed. It's like a multi storey car park and inside incredibly steep. It was giving me the fear never mind all the auld boys struggling 

13 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Agreed. It's like a multi storey car park and inside incredibly steep. It was giving me the fear never mind all the auld boys struggling 

Aye like a shopping mall with no shops, I was in the Dutch end in the section next to the Scotland section with my Dutch father in law ( who loves Scotland, his wife and my mother in law is Scottish, he's actually an Arbroath season ticket holder ) we had some friends and family over, in the Dutch end they had escalators all the way up but our friends said they had to take the stairs all the way.

There was a group of 30 something's next to us who were utter cnuts they kept shouting w**kers at the Scotland fans which I found quite bizarre as the Dutch I know have always expressed a love for Scotland, we both had to sit there silently and accept that they were the real w*"nkers.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Porteous fell asleep near the end and never closed a guy down quick enough but otherwise was okay. 

Looked to be caught in no man's land for the opener as well.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Shankland missed a sitter but otherwise was okay. Porteous fell asleep near the end and never closed a guy down quick enough but otherwise was okay. Not sure Ryan starts if everyone is fit but I think he deserves to be on the plane (and that's from someone who used to ridicule him while at Hibs).

We know Porteous can play well for us .

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Souttar on the right, fine.  Left side of a 3, absolutely not.  Especially as it completely negates his passing as we saw last night.  

I'd blame others far more for the goals we lost than Souttar though, no idea what Porteous is up to at the 2nd and he's poor at the 4th.  He was good up till then right enough

This !

So it could be between Hendry , Porteous and Souttar for RCB ?

( if Hanley is fit ! )

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

What I am saying will have been said already but just adding my tuppence worth.

For 68 minutes, that was pretty good stuff generally. We were more than a match for the Netherlands and created plentiful opportunities while restricting them well. Obviously we were terribly wasteful when given good opportunities, a Scotland trait over decades. But have to say up to that point, I was content.

The way the roof collapsed in on us after that was pish. Dreadfully weak goals to lose with a bucket load of preventable errors and lack of concentration. The issue is that it has become the norm in games since the summer last year. We coasted through the autumn and our standards have slipped defensively.

Stating the obvious but Tierney and Gilmour are vital based on last night, particularly if McGregor struggles for fitness. Gilmour was excellent generally, a lovely player.

A lot of the rest of this post will be negative. Shankland did fine but no more than that. Had a very good first 20 but felt like he faded as the game went on and a sitter of a miss. He's fine but I prefer Dykes in that type of game, Shankland I think will be a good impact player later on in games.

Patterson, he needs out of Everton. The regression in his all round play compared to 2021 is stark. I thought he was the weak link up until the subs.

Souttar was just horrendous, gave me PTSD of his equally horrendous performance in Haifa in 2018. Porteous was dreadful after the subs were made, the first time I feel like we've seen Hibs level Porto in a Scotland jersey. Hopefully a one off.

Hendry wasn't a big offender but I do think he's lost a bit of edge since his move to Saudi.

I think it was useful to learn what we learned last autumn again, calling for players to be given a chance is fine and dandy but actually there are very few capable of coming into our best 11 and keeping things on par let alone improving it. We can afford to deviate by 1-2 players at most from our best team, and Clarke knows that hopefully. He experimented against France and Netherlands, had his hand forced defensively and in goals in November, with depressing defensive results.

8 hours ago, pub car king said:

I thought the midfield were excellent last night although McGinn was off it a wee bit, McTominay was excellent as was Gilmour.  There's an argument to say either McGregor or Gilmour not both. 

It has been both in many good performances before though.

10 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Patterson, he needs out of Everton. The regression in his all round play compared to 2021 is stark. I thought he was the weak link up until the subs

One of the worst things was you could see how much he could still offer as an overlapping fullback, he got in some great positions looking to combine with McGinn but was so rusty and lacking in confidence. Hickey has been brilliant for us but Patterson would be a great option and attacking wise offers things Hickey can’t. Everton has been a terrible move for him. He needs to find somewhere the manager trusts his natural game, not Dyche.

Edited by TeeMan

3 hours ago, TeeMan said:

One of the worst things was you could see how much he could still offer as an overlapping fullback, he got in some great positions looking to combine with McGinn but was so rusty and lacking in confidence. Hickey has been brilliant for us but Patterson would be a great option and attacking wise offers things Hickey can’t. Everton has been a terrible move for him. He needs to find somewhere the manager trusts his natural game, not Dyche.

Aye I was thinking this too. My cousin thinks Patterson is a better player than Hickey, which I think is nonsense tbf, but I do think Hickey made the better decision regarding his move away from Scotland. 

Patterson would be absolutely flying if he was in Serie A.

Looking at the highlights, we played well for 70 minutes then fell to bits. I wonder what the outcome would have been if that Shankland effort had nestled in the top corner. Then the second goal goes in shortly after. Then the third and fourth go in and it’s another heavy defeat.

Patterson making the move to Everton made sense as he wasn’t getting a chance ahead of Tavernier at Rangers. Think the best thing that could happen for him is them getting relegated.

Reflections on the game a few days later:

Pros:

-we played out of our skins for 60/70 mins, largely keeping the Dutch quiet

-we created a bucket load of clear cut chances

Cons:

-we failed to take a single one of those chances, a few of which were sitters

-we capitulated systematically when we tried to change things up personnel wise

I'm thinking that if you magically fix both of the "cons", we win that game something like 3-1

Fix either of the "cons" and you come away with a high or low scoring draw, or possibly a narrow defeat.

Those two things are pretty important lessons, delivered at the right time (okay I know it's getting close to the tourney).

The pros, on the other hand  are something we should take heart in. Playing really well and dominating against a top 6 ranked team for large spells, plus creating hunners of chances, is not something you could have said of many Scotland sides of the last few decades.

The 4-0 made it feel like a doing, similar to the Russia game early on in Clarke's tenure, but the two games were very different.

Btw it's not been said much because it's probably taken for granted but Tierney was unbelievable for the whole time he was on the pitch. Every pass was precise, even long balls out of defence were right on the money. Defensively sound as well, covered back post crosses and didn't give anyone a sniff. 

Praying that he stays fit for the summer

13 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye I was thinking this too. My cousin thinks Patterson is a better player than Hickey, which I think is nonsense tbf, but I do think Hickey made the better decision regarding his move away from Scotland. 

Patterson would be absolutely flying if he was in Serie A.

The only way Patterson sees Serie A is when he reads about it in the paper.

There's a reason he never displaced Tavernier, and there's a reason why he's behind Coleman and Godfrey at Everton.

Sadly, he's not yet found a club coach who can develop his skills into being a crack defender as well as an asset going forward. We all know he could be that Nathan Patterson with the proper level of nurturing. On Friday we saw a Nathan Patterson devoid of any confidence who is well out of his current depth.

At the risk of being ridiculed, Anthony Ralston is probably a better option at RB right now because he is steady and confident. Nathan Patterson is neither of those at the moment.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Everton haven't won a single game since Godfrey went in at right back.

Not in a rush to trust the judgement of Sean Dyche over whether starting a pretty ordinary centre back over a natural right back means anything about their respective abilities