Netherlands (A) - 22/03/2024

44 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Couldn't score, shipped four. For much of the match, the radio commentary gushed as if we were winning. It especially went to pieces after the subs.

It could be same old same old in June.

For much of the match we were the better team and created a lot of great chances.

Very poor last 20 minutes obviously

6 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Porteous needed to be a lot stronger,very poor goal to lose.

It's hard to be overly critical of Hendry, Souttar, Porteous or any of our centre-backs (except KT). I think they do their best but at the end of the day none of them are top quality centre-backs, so what can you really expect.

Edited by 2426255

Lots of the details have been covered already, but looking at the performance and the result overall, I think it just makes us look a bit silly and naive - all effort and industry and no composure in the final third. Pushovers, essentially.

I know we had the best of the first 60, but the Dutch seemed to be coasting a bit. As soon as we made our substitutions, our press and intensity died and they picked us apart with ease.

I know it's just a friendly and the Dutch are highly ranked etc etc but it is worrying 

Edited by Gordopolis

Our mental weakness as a nation doesn’t have manifest itself in the performance of our national football and rugby teams.

Honestly, how  is it possible to play that well for 60-70 minutes, and get beat 4-0!?

We collapse far too easily when things start going against us. Clarke should have treated this like a competitive game tonight. Next 3 x games would be the time to experiment and try out guys like Ferguson. Completely lost control of the midfield when Gilmour was taken off!!

Don’t know what to make of it all in the end. Part of me thinks we would have got at least a draw out of that if it were a competitive game. However, we can’t  continue to fold like that when the going gets tough!!

Ferguson needs a total slap, did nothing but strop and was a wee fanny when he lost the ball.  He is not the answer no matter what he is doing in Seria A

Not the most important thing obviously, but it already annoys the shite out of me that the three Adidas stripes on our new shirt are white, while all the other trim elements (and there are a lot of them), are yellow. Grrrr, etc.

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Souttar has been talked about as being a potential option in that role if Tierney wasn't fit, and has played on the left of the centre of defence for Rangers, so it made sense to try him there. It was an absolutely stinking performance and he definitely will have put some doubt in Clarke's mind, but I'd still expect him to go if fit.

Agree if both Robertson and Tierney weren't fit but already over subscribed position

25 minutes ago, ekok said:

Ferguson needs a total slap, did nothing but strop and was a wee fanny when he lost the ball.  He is not the answer no matter what he is doing in Seria A

After half a game. Hope you were that good after half hour of yer howking tatties

Shankland isn't good enough for Scotland.  Thankfully he will be off the bench hail mary at best.

Billy Gilmour is our best player.   He must start against Germany.

I thought we played brilliantly tonight before the subs. 

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Scotland aren’t making it out the groups in June 

Aye we will.   We controlled most the game tonight away in Holland before subbies in a friendly.  

Been watching Scotland since 74 World Cup. We have had good teams on paper and some really shite teams too lol. This team is no better than anything we have had in the past . Small margins in games and a bit of extra quality makes a big difference and also luck. We have had neither. We need everything to go our way to have a chance. Not knowing our team as we do have some good players better squad than we’ve had for a long time 

1 hour ago, ekok said:

f**k me. 

I really enjoyed watching us for the first 70 minutes, which, imo, was our best away performance since Serbia. We looked like an incredibly well-drilled team in and out of possession. 

As much as I like guys like Porteous and Hendry for Scotland (and, to a lesser extent, the strikers and goalkeepers), there's a decent chance that they'll cost us at the Euros. They're capable of top quality performances, however they're not top quality players so are more likely to have dips. All Clarke can do is a) pick the best team to give us a chance of succeeding, and b) give that team the best chance of succeeding through his coaching and tactics. While it's hard to judge the Netherlands' standard in a friendly, I think we saw just what this team is capable of. We've not got a team full of top class players, so there will be ups and downs (we saw both tonight), but there even looks like progress from a honking performance against England to a great first 25 minutes against France then a great 70 minutes tonight. I'm buzzing about how good we were away from home, even though I'm well aware that the team's inconsistency makes it hard to predict future performances.