Netherlands (A) - 22/03/2024

There's been a lot of clamour for Shankland so there was inevitably going to be a lot of clamour backlash after missing a chance he should've scored, but I thought he otherwise led the line pretty well and I was pleased he didn't look physically or technically out of place. Hopefully he gets another chance or two in the friendlies coming up.

Other than that, Gilmour being excellent and Souttar being astonishingly bad were the things that stood out to me.

A more nuanced assessment to perhaps take away would be overall a fantastic performance away to a top team but a bad result in the end. 

- Shankland did well and don't think there would have been much difference in terms of team performance if that had been Dykes or Adams; 

- Shankland's miss was a one on one, which you would have expected to him to score - hardly a "shocker" or a "sitter" as it has been described;

- if we play like we did for 75 mins, and we take any of the Christie, McGinn, McTominay or Shankland chances - which based on previous performances and goal tallies is likely - we will do well in our group games;

When you see stuff like "reality check" etc getting banded ahead of us going to our second successive Euros, you just wonder where folks have been for the past 20 odd years......

7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

There's been a lot of clamour for Shankland so there was inevitably going to be a lot of clamour backlash after missing a chance he should've scored, but I thought he otherwise led the line pretty well and I was pleased he didn't look physically or technically out of place. Hopefully he gets another chance or two in the friendlies coming up.

It's frustrating because the narrative is that he can score goals but he can't lead the line. Thought he did the latter well but then blew his big chance. Did better than expected in one regard but didn't do what he does best. So it still leaves a question mark over whether he's our best option.

4 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

When you see stuff like "reality check" etc getting banded ahead of us going to our second successive Euros, you just wonder where folks have been for the past 20 odd years......

Exactly. Our 'reality checks' have all come against pot 1 teams but there's only one of those in our group

Edited by MarkoRaj

We were excellent before the subs. Had we drawn I would've said the Dutch were fortunate to get away with that. 

That being said, the subs aren't good enough. Patterson still has to convince me as there were too many basic errors from him and a bit of naivety on the ball. I thought Hendry played well stepping into take the ball, timing his challenges and reading of the game all brilliant. Anything away from that starting 11 apart from right back and we're struggling against pot 1 sides. 

It's a moot point but I'd be interested to see what the final result would have been if we had scored first.  Playing that well and conceding a sucker punch seemed to take a lot out of us. That's my only concern.

The first 70 minutes of that game were fantastic tbh and so although I wish it hadn’t been 4-0 (which was harsher than it deserved) I am not that bothered about the final score.

Clarke made changes that didn’t work but since this is a friendly, that’s what he is meant to do, see what works and what doesn’t.  Mainly poor Souttar didn’t work, I feel sorry for him, thank God for him that it was a friendly.

21 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Holland are nowhere near a top tier national side. If they can beat us 4-0, the likes of Hungary will be fancying their chances of doing the same. 

image.thumb.png.71e05f6c0f7d67345da0d0254bac71f0.png

"no where near" a top tier national side if you just ignore inconveniences like results, tournament records and rankings.....

44 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Holland are nowhere near a top tier national side. If they can beat us 4-0, the likes of Hungary will be fancying their chances of doing the same. 

They're 6th in the world, got to the WC QF, nations league semi and have much better players than Hungary.

I doubt we'll sub half our defence to experiment in the euros

Dominate the game, miss chances and get sucker punched is not exactly a new experience. 

Hopefully Hickey and MacGregor are  ok because we looked like a better team than Netherlands for the first hour and they will improve the team. I was really surprised the number of times they coughed the ball up in dangerous positions, but credit our press. 

Gilmour and MacGregor dictate how we play, and with neither one in there for the last part of the game you saw the fall off in performance. 

I’d like to see Ferguson playing in the McGinn role on Tuesday. And I wish we had someone like Donyell Malen, he looks like a game changer and scared the crap out of our defence with his pace, something like we hope Doak might become.

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

- Shankland did well and don't think there would have been much difference in terms of team performance if that had been Dykes or Adams; 

I think this was in praise of Shankland but I would say he deserves more credit. The style of play for the first 70 was as good as I've ever seen from us, and Shankland deserves credit for his role in that. No chance we play in that way with Dykes in there and probably not with Adams either. He absolutely looked like he belonged. 

Kind of reminded me of one of those days that can happen when any other Scottish top flight side are playing an Old Firm team. Start well, make chances, but miss them, still holding their own though. Fans think ‘maybe it’s our day today’…Then they get the first goal. Then, it  ends up in a bit of a gubbing, and you go away thinking ‘if only this, and if only that’. That’s exactly how it felt to me. Missed chances when on top, end up getting pumped. Feels very familiar.

Edited by pozbaird