Netherlands (A) - 22/03/2024

I didn't think The Netherlands played well last night. Koeman said that post-match (not sure if he was just being nice).

Maybe they (Scotland) were a little bit tired in the last 10-15 minutes. We get more space and then we know we can create a lot of good chances and score goals like we did in the last part of the game, but during the first hour the Scottish team was the better team, created more chances to score. It was a little bit unbelievable that they didn’t score because they had some really good chances. We know we have really good goalkeepers, but I think we need to play better football. We had many mistakes in our ball possession and we have to do that much better against Germany.

We knew before that they will fight; they are really an aggressive team and with some good players in front like McGinn, he played really well today and okay also you have to analyse your opponents, but I think we did what I said before on one side about the qualities of the Scottish team, but we lost many balls in our ball possession and that was really bad today.

Ronald Koeman

https://x.com/ViaplaySportsUK/status/1771300215019983185?s=20

Whether they didn't play well because we didn't let them or they had an off night is debateable. I think they could have been better. I don't know what their level is, but judging only by last night I don't think they'll be a big threat at Euro-2024 and would need to see more from them to put them up there with France, England or even Spain.

Edited by 2426255

If Hickey isn't fit for the Euros we may have a problem at right-back. Patterson looked a good option a couple of years ago, but Everton hasn't worked out and he looks shaky. After that there's no one obvious.

In midfield McGregor has been regarded a nailed-on starter, and understandably so, but the way that Christie and Gilmour have been playing this season, and last night, means that I think there's a decision to be made there. All three can't start.

Last twenty minutes last night was awful. As a Thistle fan I find myself thinking, that could only happen to my team, but I have two of them!! I think there are lessons to be learned, and Robbo expressed them well, but I don't think the significance should be overstated given the substitutions that had been made.

Hopefully never see Souttar in a Scotland jersey again. Can't remember seeing such a calamitous small space of time from a Scotland player. 

1 hour ago, Snobot said:

Dominate the game, miss chances and get sucker punched is not exactly a new experience. 

Hopefully Hickey and MacGregor are  ok because we looked like a better team than Netherlands for the first hour and they will improve the team. I was really surprised the number of times they coughed the ball up in dangerous positions, but credit our press. 

Gilmour and MacGregor dictate how we play, and with neither one in there for the last part of the game you saw the fall off in performance. 

I’d like to see Ferguson playing in the McGinn role on Tuesday. And I wish we had someone like Donyell Malen, he looks like a game changer and scared the crap out of our defence with his pace, something like we hope Doak might become.

Old experiences ?

1 )  not closing down a player who is going to shoot from a distance  ?

2 )  the Dutch should have had a penalty

( before Gunn made the fantastic save )

3 )  a defender rushing out to the right leaving his man free , and nobody covering for him

4 ).  Sorry, but McTominay ****ing up at a corner again 

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

9 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'm happier now after losing 4-0 to the Netherlands than I was after we drew 2-2 with them before the last Euros. 

The Dutch are still diving 

They got their equaliser from a joke of a free kick in the 2 - 2 draw

11 hours ago, Hendricks said:

This is honestly my biggest concern between now and June.After listening to the interviews afterwards I firmly believe, even more than previously, that we have the makings of a special group of players (and lads) who are desperate to make history and get to the knock out stages. If we have our best available to us I genuinely think we will do it too but there are clearly a group of individuals we simply can't do without; Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Gilmour, McTominay and McGinn are absolute musts for us to be at our best. These guys are critical to the starting 11. 

Central defenders ?

Other main takeaways from last night:

- We have a midfield 6 (especially if you add Hickey in place of Patterson) that can compete with anyone in Europe outside the top 2. The rest of the team is essentially a bubble Euros qualifier level. The question is how much they can "play up" at the Euros. 

- Reinforces my belief that Gordon must go to the Euros, he's the only keeper that on form can challenge Gunn, who reminded us last night that he's a good Championship keeper, nothing more. 

Never got to see this last night but it sounds like we actually played well despite the scoreline 😂 just some calamitous defending being the difference.

It still irks though that we seem to have a rather wide issue of club allegiances dictating who finds themselves in the firing line while on international duty.

You have some folk saying Shankland played well with others saying his performance proves he isn’t international class.

Similarly you have some saying Porteous was decent and others lambasting him.

You can rarely get an objective evaluation or consensus when it comes to our team.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Hopefully never see Souttar in a Scotland jersey again. Can't remember seeing such a calamitous small space of time from a Scotland player. 

If we ditched players after a single poor performance we wouldn't have anyone left. Souttar has played well for us before, he's clearly not a starter but he's got enough about him to be part of our squad for the next few years.

If everyone is fit, we will be able to field a team with 7 top quality players that can mix it with the best of them.

Unfortunately we have some pretty glaring deficiencies up top and at the back and we need those weaker players to play above themselves to be truly competitive.

There is a lot to be positive about (even though we got beat 4-0) but you get the feeling the absence of Hickey, Robbo or Tierney would completely scupper us.

You could play that game again 1000 times and it would finish 4-0 maybe once.

I wouldn’t start Shankland but to base that opinion on one shot last night would be mental.

I wonder if our best bet is to play defenders who can defend crosses and can one on one defend well plus tierney. Which probably means more McKenna when fit than souttar. The nature of tournament football being less patterns of play and more rigid probably means sacrificing better ball play for less costly mistakes 

43 minutes ago, AJF said:

Never got to see this last night but it sounds like we actually played well despite the scoreline 😂 just some calamitous defending being the difference.

It still irks though that we seem to have a rather wide issue of club allegiances dictating who finds themselves in the firing line while on international duty.

You have some folk saying Shankland played well with others saying his performance proves he isn’t international class.

Similarly you have some saying Porteous was decent and others lambasting him.

You can rarely get an objective evaluation or consensus when it comes to our team.

Tribalism. It's a pain in the arse to be honest, but some fans buzz off it as @RandomGuy. made me more aware of - which is even worse because it's a deliberate backing of players under their flag regardless of the reality - defending one of their own. It's crops up in VAR too. It's human nature, self interest, all that - but it's a c**t.

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

If you can't see Billy Gilmour was outstanding last night then there's no hope for you, pick another sport 

I just wouldn't hype him as our best player, over the key players that got us to the finals, on the strength of that.

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Well it was only last Saturday 😜

Only three or so more hours to go before any further mention of that game results in a three month forum ban. 😜