West Lothian Courier "sports" pages

This publication has turned into a Livingston FC fanzine.

Last weekend there were big groundhop games at Armadale and Whitburn, Broxburn are strolling to the Premier Division title, West Calder are fighting it out with Bathgate and Harthill for the 3rd Division title (unfortunately my team are nowhere good enough to be up there), and Linlithgow are doing well in the Lowland League, but not one word was printed about non-league Football in the area. The sports news this week consisted of only 2 pages, all about Livingston FC except for one article about Bathgate Golf Club.

I can't remember when they last had any decent coverage of local football

When will they wake up and realise that more people are interested in the "juniors" than Livingston FC?

This is simply typical of the dismal quality of ‘local’ papers, generally now owned by large national groups. TBF they are under attack by the internet, which means fewer readers and even fewer adverts, leading to a concentration on ‘regional’ journalism.

it will only get worse.

Edited by Stag Nation

There's unlikely to be to an actual sports journalist at the paper anymore, and if no one from the clubs are providing their own match report or pushing for coverage then there won't be any.

52 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

There's unlikely to be to an actual sports journalist at the paper anymore, and if no one from the clubs are providing their own match report or pushing for coverage then there won't be any.

A pretty low bar for his next ‘challenge’.

There was a really good Facebook page that was doing round ups of West Lothian football, mostly amateurs though. Doon the park or something, haven't seen it for a while but I'm hardly on there now

3 hours ago, monthehoose said:

Last weekend there were big groundhop games at Armadale and Whitburn, Broxburn are strolling to the Premier Division title, West Calder are fighting it out with Bathgate and Harthill for the 3rd Division title (unfortunately my team are nowhere good enough to be up there), and Linlithgow are doing well in the Lowland League, but not one word was printed about non-league Football in the area. The sports news this week consisted of only 2 pages, all about Livingston FC except for one article about Bathgate Golf Club.

When will they wake up and realise that more people are interested in the "juniors" than Livingston FC?

Agree in the context that they're should hav been coverage of the groundhopper weekend and from week 2 week.

I was at the Whitburn v Whitehill Welfare game,as I'm from the town.

But to say more people are interested in the lower league's in West Lothian is an utter falsehood. 

Back before the year 2000 yeah,now no.

Most people in WL are only interested in the 2012 club,Celtic,Hearts and some Hibs.

I'm also a Livingston supporter (from Whitburn) and they are the biggest club in WL,that's why they get the most coverage. 

1 minute ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Agree in the context that they're should hav been coverage of the groundhopper weekend and from week 2 week.

I was at the Whitburn v Whitehill Welfare game,as I'm from the town.

But to say more people are interested in the lower league's in West Lothian is an utter falsehood. 

Back before the year 2000 yeah,now no.

Most people in WL are only interested in the 2012 club,Celtic,Hearts and some Hibs.

I'm also a Livingston supporter (from Whitburn) and they are the biggest club in WL,that's why they get the most coverage. 

Don't have a problem with Livingston getting the most coverage, it's them getting the only coverage that is my issue.

3 minutes ago, monthehoose said:

Don't have a problem with Livingston getting the most coverage, it's them getting the only coverage that is my issue.

Agree on not enough coverage of the LL/EoSFL teams in the county.

I often go to Central Park when not at a Livi game,along with some other Whitburn (LFC).

It should be filtered down coverage Livi,then Lithgae (LL),then the EoSFL sides .

But all should get covered at some level,especially when you consider there was nigh on 600 at the Whitburn v Whitehill game on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

This is simply typical of the dismal quality of ‘local’ papers, generally now owned by large national groups. TBF they are under attack by the internet, which means fewer readers and even fewer adverts, leading to a concentration on ‘regional’ journalism.

it will only get worse.

Hold the bus! Have not read the West Lothian Courier so can’t comment. However, the reference of ‘dismal quality of local papers’ certainly Does Not fit the script where the East Lothian Courier is concerned. Always a great coverage of the 5 EoS teams and one Lowland league team each week. May be we are unique, as a region, but don’t put blame where it’s not merited. 

1 minute ago, Casey Jones said:

Hold the bus! Have not read the West Lothian Courier so can’t comment. However, the reference of ‘dismal quality of local papers’ certainly Does Not fit the script where the East Lothian Courier is concerned. Always a great coverage of the 5 EoS teams and one Lowland league team each week. May be we are unique, as a region, but don’t put blame where it’s not merited. 

Helps when you are the ‘big team’ in East Lothian though 😉

I honestly feel sorry for local journalists, it’s a thankless job and the market has completely imploded on them with these websites that just sweep up and plagiarise their work while creaming in ad money

16 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Helps when you are the ‘big team’ in East Lothian though 😉

I honestly feel sorry for local journalists, it’s a thankless job and the market has completely imploded on them with these websites that just sweep up and plagiarise their work while creaming in ad money

Big club status in East Lothian changes on a regular basis. At moment, my team isn’t the biggest, perhaps just be the best😉.

I can see where the original poster is coming from and what is said is certainly mirrored, in most, to the Edinburgh Evening News. But my point regarding the coverage of football related issues in East Lothian stands.

Also, as far as I am aware, (ALLEGEDLY - in case I am wrong) coverage of the 6 teams mentioned is not even dealt with by a full time journalism; but rather someone who is totally into football at this level.

4 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Big club status in East Lothian changes on a regular basis. At moment, my team isn’t the biggest, perhaps just be the best😉.

I can see where the original poster is coming from and what is said is certainly mirrored, in most, to the Edinburgh Evening News. But my point regarding the coverage of football related issues in East Lothian stands.

Also, as far as I am aware, (ALLEGEDLY - in case I am wrong) coverage of the 6 teams mentioned is not even dealt with by a full time journalism; but rather someone who is totally into football at this level.

I actually completely forgot about the noisey ones from along the road! They are all in the LL forum so I might get away with mentioning 'natural order' and Burgh being a 'bigger' club but 🤫

It needs someone with the time, ability and unrivalled commitment because there is hardly any money to be made for the majority of local reporters. It's a labour of love rather than a career now which is quite shit for the talented ones

31 minutes ago, monthehoose said:

If you google the paper it shows as a Daily Record website, the Livingston stories on there are amongst others done by someone from the Hamilton Advertiser, so it'll be easy enough to do a Livi article based on a press conference or something, rather than having to actually attend a game or hunt around for info from non-league clubs.

As for the golf club story, it has photos supplied by them so they've probably got in touch, all the journo needs to do is an interview over the phone.

Also, it's lot different nowadays with clubs having their own websites and more importantly social media, so the kind of content you'd need to wait until a Thursday to read in your local paper years ago, you can look at on your phone the day after a game.

I can’t fault the St Andrews Citizen(owned by Johnston Press) who give the Saints the best part of two pages every week plus regular interviews with our manager on their social media.

I can see both sides tbh. These so called regional papers with their syndicated content from England can get on your tits. But at the same time, my experience when I was helping out Whitehill was that there was a poor guy covering nearly everything, not just sport. This was the Midlothian Advertiser. We agreed to submit something on Whitehill every Monday, and he kept a space for us.
But some Mondays you were a bit busy, or just forgot, and he was ringing around trying to get hold of somebody. One weekend I was in the Lake District and he rang me about noon on Monday as I was coming off the hill 😂
Haven’t bought the Advertiser for years mind you, I’m sure it’ll be all about the Rose…

There's 4 League clubs in Edinburgh for the first time in 75 years plus Strollers eta: and Edinburgh Uni in the Lowland League. 

According to the Evening News Hearts and Hibs exist. The rest don't. Mind you as the once mighty Scotsman Publications now exist in a room above Burger King it perhaps isn't a surprise. 

Edited by tamthebam

On 22/03/2024 at 22:56, Casey Jones said:

I thought you were a Musselburgh fan?

On 22/03/2024 at 18:22, monthehoose said:

Callum Carson leaving is probably a death blow to the WLC having any sort of decent non-league coverage.

That said he clearly couldn't cover every game - and his priority was Livvy on a Saturday - so relied on clubs themselves sending in match reports/news which he would include where he could, even match pics.  Not every club did that so they didn't get much coverage, and then complained about it!  Callum done a lot for the non-league game in WL in his 10? years at the Courier.

Not sure who now does it but perhaps with shrinking sales they are covering more than just sport.

Edited by Burnieman