Scotland Vs Northern Ireland

Just now, Elixir said:

It's almost like we've done the same - already on our holidays and not giving a toss.

Considering we were universally poor all over the park, this is likely another spell like that South Ireland game - maybe they're tired, maybe they weren't focused, but something was up.

I did think they seemed way too relaxed and happy in the first half, considering it was already going poorly. I don't think they'll be feeling that way now.

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Neither can be the answer and is probably the right answer.

You want your lone striker to be far enough up the pitch to get on the end of moves first and foremost, heaven forbid get in behind or have shots on goal. If he drops off to link up the play all the time nobody is getting in behind as was glaringly exposed tonight.

Bigger picture stuff but it's pretty scandalous that we're even discussing Adams or Dykes as starting strikers at international level anyway.

The entire way we play is built on midfielders running beyond the striker linking play though. 

Adams is a lower end English Premiership striker, who basically gets a goal in four/five at that level. He certainly isn’t a goal scorer, but with the right midfield set up can be effective while still chipping in with goals occasionally. 

Just now, Highlandmagar said:

If we are looking for a proven goalscorer, look no further than Brian Graham. He is a horrible c**t to play against and can help with the coaching on the side. Job done.

Absolutely this. Clarke's refusal to select Championship players has really cost us. Thought Lewis Strapp's long throw ins would have really troubled Northern Ireland tonight. Obviously not tying down Wotherspoon when we had the chance was another blunder.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

Absolutely this. Clarke's refusal to select Championship players has really cost us. Thought Lewis Strapp's long throw ins would have really troubled Northern Ireland tonight. Obviously not tying down Wotherspoon when we had the chance was another blunder.

Absolutely. 

6 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

If someone had offered me us losing to NI in tonight's friendly in exchange for Wales getting papped out on pens to the Poles, I'd have taken it. We're going to Germany this summer and it'll be a good laugh whatever happens. 

This sort of loser pish is why we will always struggle as a nation. We should have pumped the illegitimate statelet and the Taffs still would have been beaten.

'Good laugh whatever happens.'

We should be targeting the last eight if we have any ambition whatsoever. Well, that was the hope before this international break.

Edited by Elixir

19 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I think it’s telling that only a few Hearts fans are sticking up for him. You really need to be objective. 

Aye, but this is true for just about any Scottish based player. In this very argument, except for some exceptions like your good self, it’s Hearts and Ayr fans defending him the most, then Morton, Hibs, Dundee and Killie fans berating him the most. Spot the club allegiances.

Just now, Elixir said:

This sort of loser pish is why we will always struggle as a nation. We should have pumped the illegitimate statelet and the Taffs still would have been beaten.

We should be targeting for the last eight if we have any ambition whatsoever. Well, that was the hope before this international break.

Even if we weren'ton this bad run, expecting to get out of the group we are in is a big ask. We,are the weakest in the group.

7 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

If someone had offered me us losing to NI in tonight's friendly in exchange for Wales getting papped out on pens to the Poles, I'd have taken it. We're going to Germany this summer and it'll be a good laugh whatever happens. 

As long as it's a good laugh that's all that matters.... What a defeatist attitude 

21 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Which now looks like it's all going to be for naught. Well, other than three more ducks. That's seven without a win since we qualified, and we've just been papped at home to Norn Iron.

Pretty much all the same things we laugh at Southgate and England for isn't too dissimilar to what we're now facing. A stubborn manager that is out of ideas.

Loyalty to the same players also means complacency for said players, and makes those on the periphery become disillusioned.

Clarke deserves immense criticism for how badly things have gone. The fact they were actually going right frankly only makes this situation worse. We should be going to this tournament with the belief that we can really compete - instead we're probably going to be whipping boys again who are there simply to make up the numbers. We should all be buzzing, but it has gone totally sour.

Still, at least we should beat Gibraltar before we go! Dykes and Adams will probably get hat-tricks to show what absolute ballers they are.

13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It's almost like we've done the same - already on our holidays and not giving a toss.

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Can't even fully appreciate Wales making a c**t of it because we have fallen off a cliff. 😔

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

We should be targeting the last eight if we have any ambition whatsoever. Well, that was the hope before this international break.

What a state to get yourself into over a friendly practice game. Yes shite performance and result but it was meaningless in the grand scheme of things. We have gone into tournaments in great form before and failed miserably,  it means nothing come June.

9 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Travelled 5 hours up from England to Hampden to watch that. Hotel costs, food, 2 days off work and 5 hours back tomorrow.

Absolutely fucking grim. Only a friendly but very worrying and one of my lowest points as a Scotland fan in recent years 

4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png no one to blame but yourself for that one bud.

27 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I think it’s telling that only a few Hearts fans are sticking up for him. You really need to be objective. 

Really? You obviously didn't watch the game tonight or see/ hear the pundits.

Adams and Dykes are yesterday's men.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

2 minutes ago, edinabear said:

As long as it's a good laugh that's all that matters.... What a defeatist attitude 

I think we'll do well this summer and I'm not panicking like a lot of folk on here are. We qualified in style and need things to click again at the right time. My point is, we're at the finals. We waited 20 years to qualify for anything and Clarke has got us to two Euros in a row. If we get out of the group that'll make this the best Scotland team ever, and I still think we can do it. Not a loser or defeatist attitude, quite the opposite.