Scotland Vs Northern Ireland

5 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Austin MacPhee isn’t the only coach I’ve seen doing that specific drill either. 

Thanks, anyone got any idea the purpose?

10 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Holy Moly. That nis a shocker and then some.

What the f**k was going Patterson's mind to even consider attempting that pass??

I think in todays game players are trained to play out at all costs. The 'if in doubt kick it out' or 'never play across your goal' is now seen as draconian.

Pep Guardiola's philosophy has been the driving force behind this. That is great if you have the players his Barca and Man City have but seeing this at every level of the game now is utterly criminal. The main reason a player is a defender and not a midfielder or a striker is they are not as good with the ball. Everyone wants to have the skills and vision of a De Bruyne or a Messi etc. but generally you get moved further back the less good you are with the ball. Asking the worst footballers in the side to play tiki taka football against the better opposition players in your own 3rd is mental. Also in the main the attackers have now worked this out and press defenders doing this and we are now seeing goals every week across all levels of players losing the ball in their own 3rd. See Spain gifting Brazil a goal in their friendly.

I believe in trying to play football and not hoofing it up the park but we have went too far with it now in my opinion.

The risk to reward ratio is too heavily in the risk section to be doing it in every single passage of play.

10 hours ago, ahemps said:

I think in todays game players are trained to play out at all costs. The 'if in doubt kick it out' or 'never play across your goal' is now seen as draconian 

And you see goals lost almost every game from it

Matthew Lindsay writing mince. OK, he always does, but odd that he should raise this old chestnut just after we've played a team whose anthem is the offensive funeral dirge GSTK.

Just stick to writing gush-pieces about the Uglies, ML, so's we know to ignore your stuff.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/24220511.flower-scotland-s-e-anthem---bin-euro-2024/

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/03/2024 at 11:31, accies1874 said:

Gunn
Porteous Hendry Tierney
Patterson McTominay Gilmour Ferguson Robertson
McGinn Dykes

Not sure about that LCM spot or even the 3-5-2, so all alternative ideas are welcome (even the bad ones). 

I'm not too sure about the Netherlands game at the moment, but I think you were right about this wrt Northern Ireland. If you wanted to label our structure then I'd say it was more 352 than 343 before Robbo's injury (38'), particularly in build up. Christie was left sided, Dykes right sided and Gilmour was central and dropping deep helping to build the game. It looked very similar to how we played against Moldova and Georgia at Hampden if you can remember back to those games.

Spoiler

image.png.1a7036f1e5bb9014ccd403fd1a7d9f49.png

Edited by 2426255