Scotland Vs Northern Ireland

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

A few of my mates took out the 5 matcher (as I have previously) but when this fixture was announced I had a feeling it would be an awful experience on and off the pitch, so was happy to save 30 quid and sacrifice the SSC point.

I understand why the SFA do it but I think making the 5 match package available before single match tickets is fkin cheeky. 

When I go to Scotland games I stay over in Glasgow. Don’t need to but tbh now I am retired (very early 😉) I simply cannae be arsed queuing up for a train at 10:30 at night. Been there far too often. So I did not bother with the friendlies. £250 a night inc tickets, accommodation, meals, transport and drinks. £500 for two friendlies when I am spending many times that to go to Germany. No thanks and especially not with our dismal record in friendlies. 

As to the game. It was a painful watch. I fall in the middle between us being on a turgid downward slope and being bang at it and ready for the Euros. What has not changed is we are weak in central defence and right back (without Hickey) and we don’t have a multitude of decent forward options to choose from. Both have been shown up these last 6 or 7 games. 

Time is running out for both Hanley and Hickey which is a major worry as they both would be nailed on starters if they were fully fit. I also worry about Tierney simply as he tends to break down after a prolonged period of competitive games. Which for him is anything over 2 months. 

I think we will get 1 or 4 points in the Euros. The 4 points will qualify us and relies on us playing to our full potential with a full team to choose from and with a bit of luck thrown in also. If those things do not happen then it is 1 point or 0 points and back to the drawing board. 

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Friendlies are rubbish.

I see little need for pant-pishing as a consequence of either of these games.

NI did a good job of looking like a defensively efficient Kilmarnock/St Mirren going to Easter Road/Pittodrie, frustrating the life out of the home team/fans and returning back with the points, after snatching a goal from a breakaway/ set piece.

Will that match have any resemblance to playing Switzerland or Hungary in June in a major tournament? - I'm not so sure.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Waaaaaaaaay too obvious! 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What, we did well in 2 of the 5 remaining games?  It hardly challengers my point does it?

We did well in 3 of the 5 unless you're going to twist logic to suggest the performance in Spain was anything other than very good.

And it completely changes your point, since your original point was "It's a year since we beat Spain and there's a good argument that we've been in decline ever since". This implied that we hadn't played well for a year, but you excluded games played in June and September to make it. Therefore you've immediately brought it down to 6 months, with the three competitive games in that period being a good performance in Spain in October and then two admittedly sloppy ones in November after we'd already qualified.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We did well in 3 of the 5 unless you're going to twist logic to suggest the performance in Spain was anything other than very good.

And it completely changes your point, since your original point was "It's a year since we beat Spain and there's a good argument that we've been in decline ever since". This implied that we hadn't played well for a year, but you excluded games played in June and September to make it. Therefore you've immediately brought it down to 6 months, with the three competitive games in that period being a good performance in Spain in October and then two admittedly sloppy ones in November after we'd already qualified.

I'd have to agree. It's basically cherry picking statistics to support a pre-existing view rather than looking at it objectively. An over-simplified perspective imo. We had good and bad aspects to all of the games we played and contexts around them. That's why it's difficult (impossible) to judge performance solely on results. 

Edited by 2426255

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A period of decline needn't be uninterrupted.

Christ, Queens knocked Dundee United out of the Cup this season.  It's doesn't prevent the season from being one of steep decline for us.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Christ, Queens knocked Dundee United out of the Cup this season.  It's doesn't prevent the season from being one of steep decline for us.

FFS I come on TA Ramblings so I don't have to think about Queens 😡

Just now, TeeMan said:

FFS I come on TA Ramblings so I don't have to think about Queens 😡

Yeah, sorry about that.

The parallels are present.  The Dutch game reminded me a bit of the recent Falkirk one.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Yeah, sorry about that.

The parallels are present.  The Dutch game reminded me a bit of the recent Falkirk one.

I wasn't there but my dad said something similar..

3 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Leigh Griffiths was never that good even at his peak. Revisionism to suggest he'd be any better than the current crop, Shankland is a better player now than he ever was imo

Well, that just isn’t close to being true…

Griffiths could finish as well as Shankland. while also having athleticism and the ability to link play. 

54 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Leigh Griffiths was never that good even at his peak. Revisionism to suggest he'd be any better than the current crop, Shankland is a better player now than he ever was imo

Griffiths was technically a lot better than Shankland. It's a pity he's an absolute roaster.

54 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Well, that just isn’t close to being true…

Griffiths could finish as well as Shankland. while also having athleticism and the ability to link play. 

Shankland is also excellent at linking play at Premiership level, and like Griffiths he has broadly not proven that at any higher level.

Aye Griff came out of the womb and his first word was goal. That's how you know he's a natural goalscorer. Same with Shankland. Both boys have a knack of sniffing out chances and converting them into goals and that's what we love them for. Great lads.

3 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

The original poster was me and I'm sorry that my attitude appeared judgey, I'm not that person. However it wasn't the accents and where fans were born that p'd me off, it was the choice of songs "f- the SFA", "Stick Your Independence....", "Stick Your Referendum.....", Rule Britannia", "Scotland Get Battered Everywhere They Go", "Bouncy Bouncy" that did and made me question the point. 

This is a catchy number to be fair. The England game was 6 months ago but I still find myself humming this absent-mindedly in the shower or while doing dishes.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Shankland is also excellent at linking play at Premiership level, and like Griffiths he has broadly not proven that at any higher level.

Still missing one of the points there tbh. 

16 hours ago, Hendricks said:

Ridiculous overreaction.

Nobody is "disillusioned".

Who are the players he is too loyal too?

What would your team be that is so much better than Clarke's?

We have perfomed very well in competitive fixtures and we will again in June.

f**k me, go to bed.

Serious teams don't suffer abject humiliation at home to Larkhall Loyal.

Still, whatever makes you sleep better.

If Hickey doesn't make it then the balloon is already burst. Patterson will be fortunate to have a decent career in the English Championship. Hilarious that Cream Buns thought he was equal to or better than Hickey not so long ago and it's sickening that Hertz got peanuts for him in comparison. Hickey will be first choice for one of the big boys very soon.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely wild to me that he's still just 33.

You could always tell he'd never reach the level his talent should, but the Australian 3rd tier at 33 is well below what I expected.

The boy is obviously an absolute rocket but for those two free kicks against England I will forever be….

Sad Doctor Who GIF

….for what could have been.

Christ, are folk still comparing current teams to those from a hundred years ago? They were still smoking fags and playing with five up front. Everyone's grandpa has a lot to answer for, claiming that their favourite players would run rings round these young whippersnappers.

You can even look back at games from the Eighties now and marvel at the amount of time and space strikers used to get in the area. Unfortunately, there's so much footage of top players like Lionel Messi, Thin Ronaldo, Nathan Patterson, and Kylian Mbappe kicking around that current youngsters will get outed pretty quick with their outlandish claims in fifty years.

...although by then there'll be a ton of convincing deepfakes of players scoring via the power of their farts, or using their tadger like a golf club to smash the ball home.

39 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Serious teams don't suffer abject humiliation at home to Larkhall Loyal.

Still, whatever makes you sleep better.

Your lack of answers, given your hilarious rants, says it all 👍