Scotland Vs Northern Ireland

57 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Exactly, I am old enough to remember all the hype before the 78 World Cup.

I expect all the other teams will now see us as the game they expect to win, that could be to our benefit! (Shite, there I go getting all optimistic again. 😂)

So am I. Still scarred by the performance.

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The mentality of the fans won't make a difference to the team. You can choose to be happy and not let a bad performance affect you or read too much into it, choose to be miserable and be down in the dumps. Fans follow and react, they don't lead the team.

Fan mood indirectly affects the players. Getting plaudits for a pasting does no good.

Just now, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

Fan mood indirectly affects the players. Getting plaudits for a pasting does no good.

Yes, I am seeing the players swimming in plaudits right now, hopefully all this cheerfulness doesn't make them 2% worse at the Euros.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I couldn't care less about friendly results and never go to the games. But my frustration is more that we get poor friendly results while learning absolutely nothing about fringe players or players who are challenging for the first 11.

I'm certainly not in the 'lets go with youth' camp and wanting to chuck a bunch of youngsters in. But surely playing different goalies is worthwhile given we know Gunn is going and will be number 1, what if he gets injured? Surely Ferguson has done enough to earn a couple of games. I've already seen Ryan Christie float around contributing nothing for 70 minutes about 40 times in his career, I don't need another. Same applies to Shankland, we all know what Dykes can and can't do, and that he is on the plane, giving Shankland 1 game away to Holland seems a bit harsh.

It's like we aren't really clear what the purpose of friendlies is. We don't generally use them to integrate new players, but we also clearly don't approach them with the same competitive edge that we do qualifiers.

We learned Shankland can do a job against teams as good as The Netherlands. We were very competitive for the first 2/3rd of The Netherlands game and learned that we can go toe to toe with them. The only players not to get any minutes were the 3 goalkeepers and Greg Taylor. Ferguson and Shankland both got enough game time to show us what they can do across the camp.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I couldn't care less about friendly results and never go to the games. But my frustration is more that we get poor friendly results while learning absolutely nothing about fringe players or players who are challenging for the first 11.

I'm certainly not in the 'lets go with youth' camp and wanting to chuck a bunch of youngsters in. But surely playing different goalies is worthwhile given we know Gunn is going and will be number 1, what if he gets injured? Surely Ferguson has done enough to earn a couple of games. I've already seen Ryan Christie float around contributing nothing for 70 minutes about 40 times in his career, I don't need another. Same applies to Shankland, we all know what Dykes can and can't do, and that he is on the plane, giving Shankland 1 game away to Holland seems a bit harsh.

It's like we aren't really clear what the purpose of friendlies is. We don't generally use them to integrate new players, but we also clearly don't approach them with the same competitive edge that we do qualifiers.

I don’t think that giving Dykes a game was a bad idea in itself. He’s in poor form at his club so it could have given him the opportunity to get a bit of confidence back.

The issue is that last night’s game wasn’t remotely suited to him at all. Either Adams or Shankland would have been much better options on the face of it.

Just now, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

After the Holland game.

So people saying we played well for 70 minutes against Holland is going to convince the players, who probably already know that they played well for 70 minutes against Holland, that it would be OK to turn in another performance like that? And that's a bad thing?

8 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Yip, fair point

That said, someone born in England supporting the opposition at Wembley will probably be doing so due to their ancestry rather than the club they support. I think that is likely to be unique to Scotland.

5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The issue is that last night’s game wasn’t remotely suited to him at all. Either Adams or Shankland would have been much better options on the face of it.

I'm not so sure about that, they were very physical which suits Dykes and it could have been viewed as a potential confidence booster for him. As time went on though it became very clear he is well off it at the moment and he should probably have come off earlier. Needs a move imo and should not start for us right now.

Contrastingly I'm actually pleased Clarke didn't hook Patterson, who was keen but poor on the night. Despite having a bad game he kept trying to do the right things. It's also quite likely we'll need him come the summer as Hickey is at best touch and go. Hooking him at the half or on 60, as many would have done, would have only served to total his confidence further and really in a friendly what would be the point?

Edited by The Algebraist

10 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I think it was always going to happen that way because Shankland had started against Northern Ireland. Steve Clarke had said pre-match all the strikers would get minutes and so I agree it wasn't the ideal from a tactical perspective, but I can see why it happened that way.

I also think with hindsight it was more beneficial to start Shankland against The Netherlands so it's an overall good decision because we've seen that and if we had to do it over again I'd do the same again given it's a friendly match.

Edited by 2426255

33 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well perhaps we learned nothing new because the Manager stuck too much to type in his team selection in what was after all a home friendly match.

Dykes was chosen over Shankland, despite him toiling in a struggling QPR team, whilst Shankland had shown enough in cameos and on Friday night to justify a start.  Similarly, John McGinn has recently gone off the boil at club level so here was a chance to start Lewis Ferguson who is having a great season with Bologna.  When he finally did get on he produced energy and forward runs which had hitherto been absent.

So an opportunity to 'learn something new' was virtually squandered when it was obvious from 25 minutes in that we were right off it.  In singling out these players above I don't think anyone emerged with credit and I hope Patterson doesn't become the lightning rod for criticism because it was shite from back to front.

Right ok so the manager could have made some different decisions (one of which I highlighted in my original post re dykes) and things may have gone differently. 

Sure, we’re in agreement there. But is it worth the kind of hyperbole we’re seeing here? 

No, IMHO. 

26 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

"Finally did get on" 🤭 He came on for Robertson after 35 minutes. You're making it sound like he only got the last 10 minutes of the game. Shankland started against The Netherlands. I assume you didn't want Dykes or Adams to get any minutes or both just from the bench then?

Both Shankland and Ferguson's minutes for Scotland have increased recently. Not enough it seems.

Where Ferguson is concerned it shouldn't have taken an injury to Robertson for him to appear, the guy should have had much more game time long before now - last night was an ideal opportunity to start him.

And yes, Shankland did start against the Netherlands and he should have started last night too.  The guy has shown enough to merit it, or are you going to tell us that Dykes or Adams were going to produce some blinding revelations ?

7 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

That said, someone born in England supporting the opposition at Wembley will probably be doing so due to their ancestry rather than the club they support. I think that is likely to be unique to Scotland.

Yes, it’s utterly bizarre. The only somewhat close analogy I can think of would be Barca or Bilbao fans supporting whoever is playing against Spain, but even that isn’t entirely down to the club and more to do with national/regional identity in Spain.

17 minutes ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

Really do not think that the fans as a whole have been showering the team with praise over the Netherlands result or that the players or staff seem satisfied with the way that game turned out. Recognising that there are positives to take from the 70 minutes of that game where we played in a very competitive and assured manner against one of the world's top-ranked teams on their own turf is probably a healthier "mentality" than just writing the entire performance off based on the scoreline.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

51 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well perhaps we learned nothing new because the Manager stuck too much to type in his team selection in what was after all a home friendly match.

Dykes was chosen over Shankland, despite him toiling in a struggling QPR team, whilst Shankland had shown enough in cameos and on Friday night to justify a start.  Similarly, John McGinn has recently gone off the boil at club level so here was a chance to start Lewis Ferguson who is having a great season with Bologna.  When he finally did get on he produced energy and forward runs which had hitherto been absent.

So an opportunity to 'learn something new' was virtually squandered when it was obvious from 25 minutes in that we were right off it.  In singling out these players above I don't think anyone emerged with credit and I hope Patterson doesn't become the lightning rod for criticism because it was shite from back to front.

Am I the only one who thought Ferguson added virtually nothing to the game when he came on? 🤔

Genuinely can't recall him changing the game one bit. He hid this "energy and forward runs" pretty well considering he was playing right in front of me for much of it.

Clarke said all along he intended to give all the strikers an hour or so across the two games. In the event Shankland got more minutes than the other two having been added to Adams last night. I don't see that as an issue. I don't even think Dykes played particularly badly to judge whether he was in or out of form. We didn't get him any supply to work with.

26 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I don’t think that giving Dykes a game was a bad idea in itself. He’s in poor form at his club so it could have given him the opportunity to get a bit of confidence back.

I'm not sure how it "wasn't suited to him"? Genuinely. Packed defence not venturing far up the pitch. Physical game largely. Adams barely had a kick in the time he was on and the first thing he did of any note was win an unexpected corner in the 95th minute!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

17 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

It isn’t. Many Liverpool fans, for example, famously aren’t keen on the England national team. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Who did you want to see? A different goalkeeper? or Greg Taylor? 

I wanted to see some fresh legs before the 70th minute when we’re getting beat at home to Northern Ireland.

Take it you were happy with the subs and the amount of game time everybody got in friendly matches, aye?

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Am I the only one who thought Ferguson added virtually nothing to the game when he came on? 🤔

Genuinely can't recall him changing the game one bit. He his this "energy and forward runs" pretty well considering he was playing right in front of me for much of it.

Clarke said all along he intended to give all the strikers an hour or so across the two games. In the event Shankland got more minutes than the other two having been added to Adams last night. I don't see that as an issue. I don't even think Dykes played particularly badly to judge whether he was in or out of form. We didn't get him any supply to work with.

I'm not sure how it "wasn't suited to him"? Genuinely. Packed defence not venturing far up the pitch. Physical game largely. Adams barely had a kick in the time he was on and the first thing he did of any note was win an unexpected corner in the 95th minute!

Adams dropped in and linked up several times when he came on, so that just isn’t true. 

Something that Dykes just didn’t do in his entire time on the park. 

Edited by No_Problemo