Scotland Vs Northern Ireland

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm unclear on why you think the first two sentences are incompatible with one another. If we'd had the centre backs pass the ball to one another across their own penalty box for the rest of the game after the goal we'd have had 98% possession but it wouldn't be the strikers fault he hadn't been involved.

Dykes got about 3 or 4 opportunities in the time he was on the pitch to get involved. I'm not sure what you think he's meant to do about that? Come back into the midfield himself and leave no target up there for them to play into?

You're entitled to think we can do better than Dykes if you wish but last night wasn't about the strikers (and of them). It was about the complete inability of the midfield and wingbacks to create anything at all of note in the final third. He absolutely WAS feeding off scraps.

I think that's fair. I don't think any of the strikers can be negatively judged in this game in terms of not scoring. The delivery was terrible. Did our strikers even have a chance to hit a shot? I know Shankland had one or two chances, but even they I wouldn't judge overly harshly.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

I'm sure it happens in loads of countries, England for starters.

This, typical Scottish exceptionalism....football fans will find no end of reasons to dislike their own national team and support the opposition in every country for politics, football or any other usually petty or nonsense reason. That's part of being a football fan.

Big Scouse not English section of the Liverpool support. See it in Australia with the different heritage clubs there, The Aussie born Croats racist attitudes to Aussie players and teams.  

I've not missed a Scotland home game in decades and now that i think about it wasn't even born in Scotland despite living here my whole life, Just find the OPs judgey attitude about accents and where fans were born a bit too perspective, flag shaggy and nationalistic (even for supporting a national team) 

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If we'd had the centre backs pass the ball to one another across their own penalty box for the rest of the game after the goal we'd have had 98% possession but it wouldn't be the strikers fault he hadn't been involved.

I agree with that scenario, but that wasn't the case. The ball was camped in their half the whole game. A good striker is meant to stretch and probe, create space. Not just run around like a lump, waiting for a ball to drop in front of him in the penalty area

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

So people saying we played well for 70 minutes against Holland is going to convince the players, who probably already know that they played well for 70 minutes against Holland, that it would be OK to turn in another performance like that? And that's a bad thing?

Getting beat four nil is a bad thing that shouldn't be celebrated yes.

8 minutes ago, immcinto said:

I agree with that scenario, but that wasn't the case. The ball was camped in their half the whole game. A good striker is meant to stretch and probe, create space. Not just run around like a lump, waiting for a ball to drop in front of him in the penalty area

We'll have to agree to differ here I think. The ball was camped in their half the whole game and we did the square root of hee haw with it. That's not something that can be blamed on one player, it was a collective thing. I don't think Harry Kane would have shown up much better for us last night if he'd played instead of Dykes.

19 minutes ago, Urban Spaceman said:

I've not missed a Scotland home game in decades and now that i think about it wasn't even born in Scotland despite living here my whole life, Just find the OPs judgey attitude about accents and where fans were born a bit too perspective, flag shaggy and nationalistic (even for supporting a national team) 

The original poster was me and I'm sorry that my attitude appeared judgey, I'm not that person. However it wasn't the accents and where fans were born that p'd me off, it was the choice of songs "f- the SFA", "Stick Your Independence....", "Stick Your Referendum.....", Rule Britannia", "Scotland Get Battered Everywhere They Go", "Bouncy Bouncy" that did and made me question the point. In over 30 years of fallowing the national team, I have met English, Canadian, Swedish and American born people who support us, and i've sat and watched people born in a large number of nations represent us and it does not bother me in any way, I wouldn't be judgey against anyone for that.

Edited by BB_Bino

I think Northern Ireland just wanted it more. No fight, no desire and no passion! - that was the problem. The only answer is wholesale changes before the Euro's and give the other boys a crack - the younger the better. This generation's done, we need to look at the next one coming through. 👀😁

Edited by 2426255

8 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

The original poster was me and I'm sorry that my attitude appeared judgey, I'm not that person. However it wasn't the accents and where fans were born that p'd me off, it was the choice of songs "f- the SFA", "Stick Your Independence....", "Stick Your Referendum.....", Rule Britannia", "Scotland Get Battered Everywhere They Go", "Bouncy Bouncy" that did and made me question the point. In over 30 years of fallowing the national team, I have met English, Canadian, Swedish and American born people who support us, and i've sat and watched people born in a large number of nations represent us and it does not bother me in any way, I wouldn't be judgey against anyone for that.

I'm not going anywhere near follow follow today that's for damn sure. Only when Rangers lose - Today it will be unbearable.

So many occasions we received the ball, and immediately numerous opponents were swarming and snapping into tackles.  They only really started to look under any sort of pressure in the final minutes, and short of a snap-shot from Shankland and the header from...I can't remember, it's hard to think of anything other than half chances.  Some people have said it's a "friendlies" thing, but is that not worrying in itself?  I can understand struggling to get up for a game when both teams are just going through the motions and can't be arsed, but if your opponents are treating it like it's a knockout tie of a tournament, surely a professional group of players - who have just done so well in the actual qualifying - can raise themselves beyond the tepid showing?  "It'll be alright on the night" is a pretty bold strategy when we could well get pumped on said night.

Friendlies are rubbish.

I see little need for pant-pishing as a consequence of either of these games.

NI did a good job of looking like a defensively efficient Kilmarnock/St Mirren going to Easter Road/Pittodrie, frustrating the life out of the home team/fans and returning back with the points, after snatching a goal from a breakaway/ set piece.

Will that match have any resemblance to playing Switzerland or Hungary in June in a major tournament? - I'm not so sure.

6 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

I’m a fan of Clarke’s work and he’s done well to get us to the Euros but someone needs to give that miserable cnut some PR advice. His interviews were toe curling cringey. Thanks Connie!

I don't think Connie makes it easy on herself asking him about how he's feeling and when he's going to smile and all that. She wants emotion and he's logical, it clashes. He opens up more to Jane Lewis in my opinion who asks less personal questions.

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't think Connie makes it easy on herself asking him about how he's feeling and when he's going to smile and all that. He opens up more to Jane Lewis in my opinion who asks less personal questions.

When he was asked about Shankland redeeming himself i almost seen his eyes turn black. 
You’d just shrug it off with the old stock response ‘strikers eh, what they like’ instead of making it a bigger issue than it is. 

5 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

When he was asked about Shankland redeeming himself i almost seen his eyes turn black. 
You’d just shrug it off with the old stock response ‘strikers eh, what they like’ instead of making it a bigger issue than it is. 

Yeah, I like that about him in a way. He's not overly media trained and giving stock answers - he's by and large honest and straight forward so you know where you stand with him and what he thinks. That's always my preference, each to their own though. I don't want a Roberto Martinez. 😁

image.jpeg.c7806655f37dfe91f29dacb7fd45b614.jpeg

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, immcinto said:

I would pick Brown over Dykes as the 3rd striker if he is fit. 

Sorry, do you mean Jacob Brown?

That’s honestly the most mental shout in this entire thread, and I include whatever the f**k Elixir was posting last night. 

16 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If only Leigh Griffiths wasn't a fat fucking wee waster we might not have been having this debate for another year or 2.

Absolutely wild to me that he's still just 33.

You could always tell he'd never reach the level his talent should, but the Australian 3rd tier at 33 is well below what I expected.

4 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

What a bizarre thing to say. Did you watch the 1928 team to be able to compare them? 

You clearly don't know the meaning of the word 'bizarre'. I didn't watch the Hungary 1953 team of Puskas etc but I'll bet my house on that team being better than the current Hungary . Do you also find that assertion 'bizarre'. ? I also didn't see the Airdrie team that won the Scottish Cup in 1924 but will state, like the bizarre fool I am, that they were a better team than the Airdrie of today. 

Edited by kennie makevin