Scotland Vs Northern Ireland

4 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I must be missing all these wild takes? Im not sure there's been much of a reaction tbh. Its kind of expected a bit of criticism losing at home to N Ireland no?

21 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Only a friendly but very worrying and one of my lowest points as a Scotland fan in recent years 

22 hours ago, Elixir said:

That dour fraud getting his just deserts for his Southgate loyalty syndrome. Losing at home to the failed statelet, worst run of form for 20 years, out of ideas, and the feel good factor long gone. Yeah, see ya.

22 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Clueless Clarke.

22 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Clarke get tae feck

22 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Get sacked you bald c**t.

this took a 2 min skim and just a flavour I Imagine.

If you think these are all reasonable reactions after a disappointing friendly performance/result that follows one of our best qualifying campaigns in decades, then fair do's.  

Edited by KingRocketman II

Patterson had a nightmare and his confidence seemed shot after the goal, but I like his attitude. I didn't get any impression that he was trying to hide and, whilst you'd like to think that would be a given for any international player, you had Cooper and Hendry at the back playing safe, square passes time and again and shirking any responsibility.

I can remember him making goal-scoring contributions during the WC qualifiers in narrow wins against Moldova and the Faroes - matches not dissimilar to last night - which may well have been the difference between us finishing 2nd and 3rd. The raw talent is in there, but he clearly needs 50-100 games experience at even a half-decent level.

Hickey is obviously way ahead of him, but I'd far rather Patterson as his stand-in than Tony Ralston.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

If you think these are all reasonable reactions after a disappointing friendly performance/result that follows one of our best qualifying campaigns in decades, then fair do's.  

Well I did say I must be missing them, I dont go thru every page!

In fairness "clueless clarke" is pretty tame stuff. Steve Wilkos is a constant wind up account as well. So wouldn't take that seriously.

Moving to Everton was the worst thing Patterson ever done, really. Just completely stunted a career that Rangers were already determined to grind to a halt.

24 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Well I did say I must be missing them, I dont go thru every page!

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

So you now agree there were some pretty wild takes. Got there in the end. 

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

Patterson had a nightmare and his confidence seemed shot after the goal, but I like his attitude. I didn't get any impression that he was trying to hide and, whilst you'd like to think that would be a given for any international player, you had Cooper and Hendry at the back playing safe, square passes time and again and shirking any responsibility.

Fair point. As bad as he was, he kept going. It didn't get any better for him, but he did not hide.

Gutless, clueless,  useless,  passive, no drive, no penetration, no pressing,  no imagination,  no idea. Played ourselves to sleep with constant safe and at times embarrassing lack of courage on the ball

Can't remember ever leaving a Scotland game early,  at least avoided the traffic . 

Total mystery how we play Holland off the park for 70 minutes then turn in this pish.

Whatever the reason, must be identified and sorted. Paying good money to go to Germany,  demanding much much better. 

Last point wtf was that imposter MacPhee doing warming up starting  back 4 before game with running with ball in hand towards players for them to touch with hand , he retreats and repeats with next player.  Utterly bizarre and like a pre school nursery game gone wrong .

Having read all the posts to date got three comments about our friendlies programme. 

1. We never ever do ourselves any favours playing friendlies,  if we must they should be in order , 

A. Of direct benefit to next game / s

B. Sussing how fringe players will fit in

C. Making £

Last night failed miserably on A, struck gold on B , ok but nowhere near full house on C.

2. We really must open our eyes to the fact that football is played all over the world. Yes limited options within Europe, but surely we should be taking global approach,  ffs Northern Ireland,  Gibraltar  ( don't get me started) and well past it Finland.

3. Far too timid a mindset, lots of options within a days flight travel, after all we will be away from our shores for weeks if all goes well.

6 hours ago, ekok said:

Last point wtf was that imposter MacPhee doing warming up starting  back 4 before game with running with ball in hand towards players for them to touch with hand , he retreats and repeats with next player.  Utterly bizarre and like a pre school nursery game gone wrong .

you don't like to bother yerself too much with boring stuff like tactics or set-pieces, I guess. 

9 hours ago, ekok said:

Having read all the posts to date got three comments about our friendlies programme. 

1. We never ever do ourselves any favours playing friendlies,  if we must they should be in order , 

C. Making £

Last night failed miserably on A, struck gold on B , ok but nowhere near full house on C.

2. We really must open our eyes to the fact that football is played all over the world. Yes limited options within Europe, but surely we should be taking global approach,  ffs Northern Ireland,  Gibraltar  ( don't get me started) and well past it Finland.

3. Far too timid a mindset, lots of options within a days flight travel, after all we will be away from our shores for weeks if all goes well.

I seem to remember reading years ago about Switzerland (I think) gaming the friendlies to get ranking points to get them into better positions for qualifying draws.

That could be D.

20 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I seem to remember reading years ago about Switzerland (I think) gaming the friendlies to get ranking points to get them into better positions for qualifying draws.

That could be D.

The Swiss didn't so much game the system as use it as intended. We used to moan regularly on here about the SFA's seeming ignorance of the effect friendlies had on seedings and the world rankings. I'm sure I can remember us ending up in a lower pot on at least one occasion because we decided to play Luxembourg or Liechtenstein while the nations around us played games against higher-ranked teams on poor form.

Thankfully the Nations League seems to have done away with that for the most part.

Is gaming the system really as possible anymore?  I think the old method for a lot of nations used to be to avoid friendlies at certain points and then play very targeted ones, which was always trumping those that played whenever they could.  Now I think you're mandated to play friendlies if you don't have a competitive game.  Given that, the pool of nations available to play gets smaller, as everyone needs to find an opponent, and the opportunities for gaming the system are fewer.

So going by that, and the arbitrary list of ways we should apparently choose a friendly, A is probably out unless it just so happens that the perfect opponent is available, B is possible, but debatable as to how useful it is going to be*, C is similar to A.  

* I'm curious, say we put out a complete fringe side against Northern Ireland, and we got a similar result (because I doubt our second string would be any more successful at breaking them down than out first) would everyone be happy because we gave other people a chance?  Because I'm almost certain they'd be getting the same criticisms.  We don't have this enormously deep talent pool to pick from, that game was all about letting the first choice side get some confidence back.  Fucked that up royally though.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Moving to Everton was the worst thing Patterson ever done, really. Just completely stunted a career that Rangers were already determined to grind to a halt.

It was a great move that’s turned into a shite move. Hopefully one of two things happen: 1. He gets a transfer; 2. Sean Dyche gets the sack.

Personally I hope it’s 2 as I absolutely despise Sean Dyche and his dreadful anti-football. And his voice. And his stupid goatee beard. And the way he expresses himself. And everything about him.

Edited by Scary Bear

11 hours ago, ekok said:

C. Making £

The Netherlands game was to give us an idea of what playing Germany will be like.

The friendly we played against Turkey was to give us an idea of Spain away.

But Northern Ireland 

6 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

you don't like to bother yerself too much with boring stuff like tactics or set-pieces, I guess. 

OK so enlighten me , what was that set up about ? Will gladly learn something that I am missing 

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Is gaming the system really as possible anymore?  I think the old method for a lot of nations used to be to avoid friendlies at certain points and then play very targeted ones, which was always trumping those that played whenever they could.  Now I think you're mandated to play friendlies if you don't have a competitive game.  Given that, the pool of nations available to play gets smaller, as everyone needs to find an opponent, and the opportunities for gaming the system are fewer.

So going by that, and the arbitrary list of ways we should apparently choose a friendly, A is probably out unless it just so happens that the perfect opponent is available, B is possible, but debatable as to how useful it is going to be*, C is similar to A.  

* I'm curious, say we put out a complete fringe side against Northern Ireland, and we got a similar result (because I doubt our second string would be any more successful at breaking them down than out first) would everyone be happy because we gave other people a chance?  Because I'm almost certain they'd be getting the same criticisms.  We don't have this enormously deep talent pool to pick from, that game was all about letting the first choice side get some confidence back.  Fucked that up royally though.

On your first point, I think the choice of friendlies being Northern Ireland, Gibraltar and to a far lesser extent The Netherlands may have come about due to having a restricted choice of available opponents. It didn't fit the stated criteria after the draw was made regarding friendlies.

Spoiler

I don’t think you learn enough from a game like that or playing a Pot Five (Northern Ireland) or Pot Six team (Gibraltar), or whatever. I will be looking for Pot One, Pot Two, Pot Three, Pot Four teams. It would be better if it were teams that aren’t going to the Euros (The Netherlands).

Steve Clarke

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scotland-next-matches-steve-clarke-reveals-his-euro-2024-warm-up-plans-four-decent-friendlies-4416783

You don’t want to play a friendly against someone you are going to meet in the tournament, but thoughts on the friendlies will be as tough as we can get them. I want tough games; I want to play good teams. I think you learn more from playing good teams than playing teams you should beat (Northern Ireland, Gibraltar).

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23918027.steve-clarke-keen-hampden-send-off-euro-2024-bound-scotland/

On your second point, that's just fans for you. It's all hindsight Henry kind of stuff. If we had lost with a second string side people would have been saying we should have gone with our strongest team. It's a load of shite.