Scotland Vs Northern Ireland

While I was hugely encouraged by the first 70 minutes against Netherlands, the subsequent collapse in that game, albeit after a raft of substitutions, and the utterly dismal showing against Northern Ireland are raising significant questions about our prospects for the summer. It’s been a while since we’ve seen a consistently good 90 minute performance from Scotland, and it’s hard to believe that the vibrant team that swept Spain away at Hampden 12 months ago has regressed to the extent that we witnessed in that insipid performance on Tuesday night. 

It’s been clear for some time that, while we have a highly competitive first XI, if everyone is fit, we lack genuine depth in the squad. I was in Lille for the France game in October last year, and it was clear that some of our fringe players just weren’t up to it as a strong French team swept us away. It was 4-1 going on 6 or 7. Our performance against England, with a stronger team, was just as bad, and those games highlighted the chasm that still separates us from the elite. I’m disregarding any ‘we don’t do friendlies’ excuses - we were completely  outclassed on both occasions.

On any given day, if we play to the best of our abilities, and we have all (or at least the vast majority) of our best players on the park then we’re capable of competing with most teams, even if I suspect not quite all. We’re weak at centre back, and in the forward positions, and we have little cover at goalkeeper. We’re very reliant on certain key players being fit (Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor), and you can now add Hickey to this indispensable core. Being overly reliant on a core of seven players (eight if you count Gunn, as while he wasn’t at his best in the Netherlands, the alternatives, in the absence of a match-ready Gordon, are significantly worse) makes it essential not only that every one of the core is fit, but that they’re in form and playing well. That’s a very tall order.

Given our limited striking options, and the way Clarke likes to play, we’re hugely reliant on the midfield chipping in with more than their share of goals, which puts the pressure on McTominay and McGinn particularly. With the best will in the world, none of Gilmour, Christie (who it seems was moved deeper by Bournemouth at least partly in response to a lack of goals and assists while he was playing further forward), McGregor, or bench options such as McLean and Armstrong) are likely to contribute significantly to our goals tally. Ferguson might, though the jury is still out there. We have little or no natural width, or much pace, guile or creativity going forward. If McGinn or McTominay, or both, are having off days (and McGinn looks burned out to me after a long season), then we’re really struggling to score goals.

It strikes me that Clarke’s natural conservatism and loyalty to his players, while laudable in some respects, is a double-edged sword. It seems almost as difficult to play yourself out of the Scotland squad as to play yourself in to it these days. Certain players are either in truly abject form with their clubs or just not getting game time (Dykes, Patterson, Kelly, Cooper etc), but Clarke seems very reluctant to drop them, or even replace them when they’re not playing well, as we saw with Patterson particularly, and Dykes to some extent, on Tuesday. Hoping that players can play through lack of form, or into match sharpness, is always a gamble at international level.

It’s starting to look like this Scotland side has stagnated a bit over the last 12 months and while it doesn’t quite resemble Craig Brown’s aging favourites going into battle one last time at the 1998 World Cup (in the likes of Gilmour, Hickey etc we do have a few exciting young players), the squad is clearly in need of some ventilation and competition for places. The lack of players knocking at the door for inclusion in the squad is concerning, particularly given that it’s is already filled out with some flotsam.

I agree with the poster (forget who) that recently suggested that Clarke should be a bit more proactive (i.e. make any effort at all) in his recruitment. He seems to have been stung by the Elliot Anderson fiasco, and while Harvey Barnes is exactly the kind of dynamic attacking player the current Scotland squad lacks, Clarke’s curmudgeonly ‘he knows where we are’ approach towards dual nationals contrasts sharply with Wales’ more active recruitment. Yes, I know Wales didn’t qualify this time round, but they’re constantly planning ahead, earmarking and recruiting future eligible talent, and I don’t think their decline in the post Bale and Ramsay era will be as steep as many assume. While no-one seems to know all the facts surrounding the Anderson incident, if the stories about him being singled out by senior members of the squad for ‘special treatment’ are true, it might betray a level of insularity, resistance to change, and perhaps even complacency within the current squad that could be counter-productive to our ambitions moving forward. Perhaps the players started to believe their own hype a bit after cruising to qualification from a difficult group? 

Whatever the facts of the Anderson matter, and however insular and resistant to squad ‘ventilation’ the Scotland camp really is, the conveyor belt of future talent looks under-stocked at best. This group of players might be both as good as it’s been and as good as it gets for Scotland for a long time. Let’s hope everyone raises their game in the summer, and that all our core players are fit and in form, as it would be a shame to squander the momentum we’d built up over a glorious qualifying campaign by under-achieving yet again on the big stage.

Edited by Frankie S

@Frankie S. I agree with your post, but towards the end of it, my heart sinks. If we are still needing to hunt round for someone with a Scottish granny and try and convince them to join up with Scotland, it just shows that Scotland still isn’t up to creating enough quality players. How long has it been the case that Scotland don’t produce enough decent players? 

If the Euros don’t go well, I fully expect to hear calls for change again. Change might take a while though.

18 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

I agree with the poster (forget who) that recently suggested that Clarke should be a bit more proactive (i.e. make any effort at all) in his recruitment. He seems to have been stung by the Elliot Anderson fiasco, and while Harvey Barnes is exactly the kind of dynamic attacking player the current Scotland squad lacks, Clarke’s curmudgeonly ‘he knows where we are’ approach towards dual nationals contrasts sharply with Wales’ more active recruitment. Yes, I know Wales didn’t qualify this time round, but they’re constantly planning ahead, earmarking and recruiting future eligible talent, and I don’t think their decline in the post Bale and Ramsay era will be as steep as many assume. While no-one seems to know all the facts surrounding the Anderson incident, if the stories about him being singled out by senior members of the squad for ‘special treatment’ are true, it might betray a level of insularity, resistance to change, and perhaps even complacency within the current squad that could be counter-productive to our ambitions moving forward. Perhaps the players started to believe their own hype a bit after cruising to qualification from a difficult group?

I think it is incredibly unlikely that Clarke isn't actively speaking to these types of players to see whether they want to be involved. He successfully "recruited" Dykes and Adams before Euro 2020 and similarly was able to convince Gunn to join up with us for this campaign, and none of those players seemed to have any issues integrating into the squad - indeed Dykes seems to be one of the most influential members of it. If the players aren't interested then it's better and easier for him to publicly say "they know where we are" rather than sounding desperate.

The likes of Barnes, Gordon and even Anderson (who he obviously did at least initially successfully convince to be involved) are high level players and it's always going to be harder to convince players who have genuine belief that they might eventually play for England. We are only going to want to bring in players who are going to actually improve us - Wales are calling up Championship junk, and I'm sure we'd have much more success if that was the type of guy we were after.

43 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

It’s been clear for some time that, while we have a highly competitive first XI, if everyone is fit, we lack genuine depth in the squad. I was in Lille for the France game in October last year, and it was clear that some of our fringe players just weren’t up to it as a strong French team swept us away. It was 4-1 going on 6 or 7. Our performance against England, with a stronger team, was just as bad, and those games highlighted the chasm that still separates us from the elite. I’m disregarding any ‘we don’t do friendlies’ excuses - we were completely  outclassed on both occasions.

The reason we played these 'elite' teams is to help us try and bridge the gap. We were outclassed by England and France because they're a class above.

We have little or no natural width, or much pace, guile or creativity going forward. 

Our width comes from Christie, Robertson, Tierney and McGregor on the left. Ferguson, McGinn, McTominay and Patterson on the right. Most of our goals (in open play) come from wide attacks usually via quick combination play. That has been a consistent aspect of this Scotland team.

It strikes me that Clarke’s natural conservatism and loyalty to his players, while laudable in some respects, is a double-edged sword. It seems almost as difficult to play yourself out of the Scotland squad as to play yourself in to it these days. Certain players are in either truly abject form with their clubs or just not getting game time (Dykes, Patterson, Kelly, Cooper etc), but Clarke seems very reluctant to drop them, or even replace them when they’re not playing well, as we saw with Patterson particularly, and Dykes to some extent, on Tuesday. Hoping that players can play through lack of form, or into match sharpness, is always a gamble at international level.

It's one of those, when you're winning it's the reason for success and when you're losing it's the reason for failure. 

Harvey Barnes isn't interested at the moment. It requires both parties to be open for dual nationality options - you can't just make it happen. Clarke invited Conway, Fiorini and Leon King to the squad in Norway and has repeatedly shown he has an eye on the future calling into the squad Max Johnston, Calvin Ramsay amongst others while also making it clear he wants to avoid a 'hard reset'.

It's too long a post to really go in depth on every point, but it's all been covered. I just put in a few reminders on stuff that is less subjective and can be backed up if need be. I think you're setting your expectations a little too high.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, ekok said:

OK so enlighten me , what was that set up about ? Will gladly learn something that I am missing 

I was highlighting your assessment that MacPhee was an "imposter" - in what way?

To add, that at the end of last year, and including Euro 2024 qualifiers, Scotland had scored 12 goals (from something like 18 games) from set pieces. This was directly attributed to MacPhee and what he brought to the team. He was also kept on at Villa for his set piece work and his wider work with the first team. 

5 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I was highlighting your assessment that MacPhee was an "imposter" - in what way?

To add, that at the end of last year, and including Euro 2024 qualifiers, Scotland had scored 12 goals (from something like 18 games) from set pieces. This was directly attributed to MacPhee and what he brought to the team. He was also kept on at Villa for his set piece work and his wider work with the first team. 

The flak goes to everyone regardless of who merits it. I thought you'd know that by now.

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Has this nonsense done the rounds on here yet?

It was sloppy as f**k and an example of the kind of pass someone tries when they're in a game they aren't taking seriously. On the 14th of June, it would've gone to one of his teammates in a safer position.

Regardless, it's a single mistake in a universally flat performance - it's not like we were winning that match, and 0-0 isn't a massive improvement in a poor friendly. We just have to hope it's a Eire 3-0 style blip and nothing more serious. Qualifying early seems to have left a bit of a hangover that has to be shaken off.

I don't really like JJ Bull. I think anyone looking to justify Nathan Patterson's decision to try and make that pass isn't being realistic. It's a risk and you might not always get caught out, but eventually you will. We actually played a fair amount of similarly risky passes in our own box that  weren't punished so it's a balance between risk/reward - just looking at the picture it's a huge risk for such little reward.  

image.png.77d9257e47936764572387a05926b52f.png

I think he could have achieved the same by using either Gunn or even Hendry, both unmarked, rather than threading an eye of the needle pass to a marked Gilmour. Just a bad decision in my view.

Edited by 2426255

As much as JJ Bull's take is drivel the worst of the lot is the Scots Abroad guy trying to blame Gunn for launching it forward before Patterson's numerous f**k ups. Apparently a keeper who came through the English youth ranks and hasn't played a minute of club football in Scotland not playing out from the back somehow means Scottish football must change its philosophy.

2 hours ago, Frankie S said:

While I was hugely encouraged by the first 70 minutes against Netherlands, the subsequent collapse in that game, albeit after a raft of substitutions, and the utterly dismal showing against Northern Ireland are raising significant questions about our prospects for the summer. It’s been a while since we’ve seen a consistently good 90 minute performance from Scotland, and it’s hard to believe that the vibrant team that swept Spain away at Hampden 12 months ago has regressed to the extent that we witnessed in that insipid performance on Tuesday night. 

On any given day, if we play to the best of our abilities, and we have all (or at least the vast majority) of our best players on the park then we’re capable of competing with most teams, even if I suspect not quite all. We’re weak at centre back, and in the forward positions, and we have little cover at goalkeeper. We’re very reliant on certain key players being fit (Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor), and you can now add Hickey to this indispensable core. Being overly reliant on a core of seven players (eight if you count Gunn, as while he wasn’t at his best in the Netherlands, the alternatives, in the absence of a match-ready Gordon, are significantly worse) makes it essential not only that every one of the core is fit, but that they’re in form and playing well. That’s a very tall order.

Given our limited striking options, and the way Clarke likes to play, we’re hugely reliant on the midfield chipping in with more than their share of goals, which puts the pressure on McTominay and McGinn particularly. With the best will in the world, none of Gilmour, Christie (who it seems was moved deeper by Bournemouth at least partly in response to a lack of goals and assists while he was playing further forward), McGregor, or bench options such as McLean and Armstrong) are likely to contribute significantly to our goals tally. Ferguson might, though the jury is still out there. We have little or no natural width, or much pace, guile or creativity going forward. If McGinn or McTominay, or both, are having off days (and McGinn looks burned out to me after a long season), then we’re really struggling to score goals.

It strikes me that Clarke’s natural conservatism and loyalty to his players, while laudable in some respects, is a double-edged sword. It seems almost as difficult to play yourself out of the Scotland squad as to play yourself in to it these days. Certain players are either in truly abject form with their clubs or just not getting game time (Dykes, Patterson, Kelly, Cooper etc), but Clarke seems very reluctant to drop them, or even replace them when they’re not playing well, as we saw with Patterson particularly, and Dykes to some extent, on Tuesday. Hoping that players can play through lack of form, or into match sharpness, is always a gamble at international level.

It’s starting to look like this Scotland side has stagnated a bit over the last 12 months and while it doesn’t quite resemble Craig Brown’s aging favourites going into battle one last time at the 1998 World Cup (in the likes of Gilmour, Hickey etc we do have a few exciting young players), the squad is clearly in need of some ventilation and competition for places. The lack of players knocking at the door for inclusion in the squad is concerning, particularly given that it’s is already filled out with some flotsam.

Whatever the facts of the Anderson matter, and however insular and resistant to squad ‘ventilation’ the Scotland camp really is, the conveyor belt of future talent looks under-stocked at best. This group of players might be both as good as it’s been and as good as it gets for Scotland for a long time. Let’s hope everyone raises their game in the summer, and that all our core players are fit and in form, as it would be a shame to squander the momentum we’d built up over a glorious qualifying campaign by under-achieving yet again on the big stage.

FFS I’m not reading all that.

11 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

As much as JJ Bull's take is drivel the worst of the lot is the Scots Abroad guy trying to blame Gunn for launching it forward before Patterson's numerous f**k ups. Apparently a keeper who came through the English youth ranks and hasn't played a minute of club football in Scotland not playing out from the back somehow means Scottish football must change its philosophy.

I'm surprised the Scots Abroad guy didn't blame the result on not calling up Ryan Gauld tbh

3 hours ago, Frankie S said:

The thing regarding the Dutch, we don't seem to ask the question what were their targets as far as trying out players, tactical shape etc etc early in the match? Yet, apparently we matched "Holland" i.e. A full power Dutch and we outplayed them. Really? or did we meet a squad going through some opportunities to try things? Of course, as players switched in we were demolished. Then comes NI.  The Dutch game is becoming a thing way beyond what was actually happening. 

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

@Frankie S. I agree with your post, but towards the end of it, my heart sinks. If we are still needing to hunt round for someone with a Scottish granny and try and convince them to join up with Scotland, it just shows that Scotland still isn’t up to creating enough quality players. How long has it been the case that Scotland don’t produce enough decent players? 

If the Euros don’t go well, I fully expect to hear calls for change again. Change might take a while though.

It is pretty obvious we are not creating enough quality players 

For example the number of non Scottish players playing in Scotland  !

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

TOO Long

FTFY 

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

t was sloppy as f**k and an example of the kind of pass someone tries when they're in a game they aren't taking seriously. On the 14th of June, it would've gone to one of his teammates in a safer position.

I haven't bothered to rewatch it but I think Patterson did successfully get through a few players with the ball in almost exactly the same position about 10 minutes before the goal. He managed it then and it obviously gave him the (misplaced) confidence that he would be able to do it again.

The Robertson injury seemed to shake up the whole team, the goal came very soon afterwards. Not that that's an excuse.

2 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

The thing regarding the Dutch, we don't seem to ask the question what were their targets as far as trying out players, tactical shape etc etc early in the match? Yet, apparently we matched "Holland" i.e. A full power Dutch and we outplayed them. Really? or did we meet a squad going through some opportunities to try things? Of course, as players switched in we were demolished. Then comes NI.  The Dutch game is becoming a thing way beyond what was actually happening. 

It's a fair point. Fans tend not to look at what the opposition are doing, but there are two teams in a game.

Unless you're personally interested in the Dutch team you're unlikely to take the time to research them. You'll require to put your faith in some half-cocked attempt at understanding it from the Dutch equivalent of JJ Bull or BBC Scotland. The Dutch apparently used 4atb against Scotland, but they seemed to build up in possession with 3 players from what I saw (Ake, Van Dijk and Geertruida). Recent Dutch teams have been using 3atb, so maybe something different tactically there.

I think you could say they were missing an influential player in De Jong. Frimpong was probably given a chance to impress instead of Dumfries. Flekken probably the same instead of Verbruggen and there a couple more that probably have question marks around them in Wijnaldum and Wieffer. I have compared the players used against Scotland against the players used against Germany and you can draw your own conclusions. I don't think it was an overly weak team personally - a bit mix and match.

image.png.7a7d6e5ea1dd29652497f935fd60dd2b.png

9 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

No chance you are getting off the hook,  I was specifically asking about the Playschool drill which saw the coach doing almost all the running.  Did you actually see it ? The players body language spoke volumes, they clearly had no idea why they were asked, one at a time to take a step forward and tap a ball in the coaches hands, then stand stock still until their turn came round again.  Seriously it was the most ridiculous drill I have ever seen and I have seen countless of these over decades. 

Still waiting to hear your explanation on what was the point . If somehow this translates into scoring at set plays then I will eat not only my hat, but yours as well.

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I don't really like JJ Bull. I think anyone looking to justify Nathan Patterson's decision to try and make that pass isn't being realistic. It's a risk and you might not always get caught out, but eventually you will. We actually played a fair amount of similarly risky passes in our own box that  weren't punished so it's a balance between risk/reward - just looking at the picture it's a huge risk for such little reward.  

image.png.77d9257e47936764572387a05926b52f.png

I think he could have achieved the same by using either Gunn or even Hendry, both unmarked, rather than threading an eye of the needle pass to a marked Gilmour. Just a bad decision in my view.

Holy Moly. That nis a shocker and then some.

What the f**k was going Patterson's mind to even consider attempting that pass??