🔵⚪ Greenock Morton vs Queen's Park ⚫⚪

Three tragic games of football this season, with a grand total of one goal scored in those fixtures, have meant we continue our horrific run of results over Morton since coming back into the Championship.

But surely this week is our time?

Since Dougie Imrie got his double MOTM his side have lost five in a row, and we are unbeaten in our last five and continuing to bounce back from our Dutch hangover in superb fashion under Davidson. Despite Morton having that long unbeaten run, a win for QP would see us leapfrog them in the table, which would be quite incredible.

Yet to hear how serious the injuries to Longridge and Thomas are, who both came off early vs Ayr last week. Fingers crossed they are both good to go this Saturday, as I would have the same XI that started last week as first choice again. I hear Charlie Fox appeared for the B team in a closed door friendly yesterday, so we may see him on the bench for the first time in months.

We're in must-win territory here to put fears of 9th to bed. Six games left after this, but the only two at home are Dundee United and Raith. You don't want to be going into that run of games already on a long losing streak and potentially needing 6 or 7 points to be sure of 8th, particularly with the easier on paper away games of that run being the third last and last games of the season.

Of course the way this league has gone getting that win could put us 4th again, then all of a sudden with how streaky we are you've got a bit of confidence back in the team to build on it and you could end up more concerned with the good playoffs again in a week, but right now we just desperately need to stop the rot.

I'd love to say this is our best opportunity of finally getting a win in this fixture but I've felt that way before; 2-0 up at half time last year at Ochilview, when Morton only had about 14 players because of the weather earlier this season, or when we had a man advantage and a got penalty at Cappielow but it never seems to click.

Absolutely no predictions from me, but a win for either side could have a fairly significant impact on the outcome of the rest of their season.

Going on current form it's a win for QP, but going on the recent history of the fixture it's a win for Morton. Normally I would maybe hope for an away draw.  It's a difficult one to call but, like supporters of both teams I'm sure, I want a win.

We’re bust, lads.

Could just about see us grinding out a dull draw (which is near par for the fixture anyway), but we don’t look like beating anybody at the moment.

Chances might increase if we drop French, Blues, and Muirhead to the bench and start with Garrity and Quitongo very high and very wide.

Never been a better time to meet and beat, Morton and with Sheridan and Paton forming unlikely double-act you'd think this was a dead-cert, however my inner pessimist just knows this will be the game that Morton end their run.  Only prediction I'll make is that it's bound to be a less boring, turgid affair than that served up at Hampden last night.

2 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Never been a better time to meet and beat, Morton and with Sheridan and Paton forming unlikely double-act you'd think this was a dead-cert, however my inner pessimist just knows this will be the game that Morton end their run.  Only prediction I'll make is that it's bound to be a less boring, turgid affair than that served up at Hampden last night.

In the orient a butterfly flaps his wings, which is enough for  Quitongo to go down in the box and get a pen.  Feel it could be one of those games.

Win or bust for us, especially with the 6 games coming up after this. Really scunnered with the team at the minute, wouldn't say we're getting outplayed by anyone but we're definitely being outfought every week just now. 

Muirhead, McGrattan and Blues have to be benched, all passengers. Quitongo and Garrity in from the start and get running at them. Would be tempted to put O'Connor in for French also. 

Not sure what team will turn up on Saturday. A few of our players looked jaded against the Pars for some reason. 

If players are feeling the effects of a long season the Dougie must utilise the squad. To be fair he did give McGrattan a start last week and inexplicably he didn't take it. 

Muirhead, Crawford, French and Blues just didn't perform. But all are important players for us so we can't make wholesale changes and of course we don't have that big a squad.

I would like to see a bit of width in the team this week. We're not really creating chances at the moment and when we do we're not taking them. Funnily enough the Scotland team  against N. Ireland reminded me so much of Morton at the moment. 

It's a home game so we should be looking for a win! 

Must win territory for us against a QP side on the up. I have no idea how this will play out buy I'm not confident given our last couple of home performances.  i would go with-

Mullen

O'connor baird broadfoot strapp

Power      Gillespie 

Quitongo     Crawford      Garrity

Oakley

Subs- murdoch, French, waters, blues, McGrattan, Muirhead, Bearne 

Dreading this a bit. If we lose again I’m struggling to see where any other results are coming from, with the possible exception of Arbroath. To have any shout of the playoffs, it’s must win.

While O'Connor should definitely come back in, assuming everyone is fit the problem with the defence is which one of French or Broadfoot to drop. French is obviously the weak link in the team and so would usually be the correct answer, but it's pretty rare to come up against a team playing a front two in this league. Even when teams are nominally playing a formation with two up front one of them will often be a midfielder or winger with freedom to roam rather than two out and out strikers - while Paton can drift if he needs to he's a proper centre forward.

With Paton and Sheridan looking like a good partnership and both in form, Broadfoot's tendency to get dragged out of position when his lack of pace means he has no chance of recovering could be disastrous with a functioning strike partnership ready to exploit the space. I wouldn't be averse to going to a back three again to counteract that, but that then means you're stuck with French on the right and when you're not going to be as defensive as against Hearts, you can see the space that would create out wide being exploited too. There's a glaring defensive problem whatever we do, while a back three would also leave us struggling to find a place for Garrity who's been our only attacking threat for a month.

Edited by Dunning1874

It would appear I’m in the minority, as he’s clearly become the target for our fans’ frustrations, but I hope French’s injury has cleared up in time for this, he’d be a big miss. Some of his distribution is terrifying but he’s usually solid defensively and any other RB option is a significant downgrade. *Puts tin hat on*. 

Injuries permitting, I’d like to see us shape up like this. For me, Garrity has shown enough in his recent substitute appearances to earn a start. 

Mullen 

French Baird O’Connor Strapp 

Power Blues 

Muirhead Crawford Garrity 

Oakley 

Even while being poor recently we’ve created big chances and been incredibly wasteful. We started well last week and Oakley is now another week fitter. If we can repeat that start and get a lead to defend, I expect us to win. If we go behind, we’re going to huff and puff to another miserable afternoon. 

Never thought I'd be looking forward to a game at Cappielow this season, but that goes to show how things have changed. There seems to be a real confidence about the team just now but we need to take our chances. We should have had four or five at Ayr in the first half but ended up hanging on a bit.

Pray for no rain so Strapp doesn't have to dry the ball with his wee towel every time he takes a throw. Bloody ridiculous the amount of time this guy is allowed to faff about.

2-1 for the mighty QP and we edge a wee bit closer to safety.

5 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Pray for no rain so Strapp doesn't have to dry the ball with his wee towel every time he takes a throw. Bloody ridiculous the amount of time this guy is allowed to faff about.

Well forecast looks like you might get those prayers answered.

Seems like opposition fans have moved on from the big bad Morton team to the time wasters with Strapp TI's the new target to get refs attention. 

If it helps we should have dry spare balls on each side ready for Strapp to utilise.

As an aside my big mate from Barrow is up to attend tomorrow and he reminded me that he has never witnessed a Ton defeat.

So 2 v 2 likely outcome.

Get the need for changes but hopefully a week off will freashing the boys up, but Broadfoot needs benched. Watching him trying to get back last week brought tears to my eyes.

15 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Well forecast looks like you might get those prayers answered.

Seems like opposition fans have moved on from the big bad Morton team to the time wasters with Strapp TI's the new target to get refs attention. 

He can take as long as he likes if QP are winning but it's a carry on and he never seems to be pulled up for it.

15 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Tbf, it’s starting to annoy me too :lol: