Retirement.

I know this isn’t the forum for this subject but I’ve finally got round to retiring from my job at the Young of 66,won’t miss the cold days of getting up at half 4 in the rain wind and snow,wee trip to Tenerife with the family will be good in July,I’ll have to find a few things to do to keep myself occupied as I’m getting telt by old pals I’ll get bored out ma tits soon,I stay in Midlothian but originall fae Glesga and I’ll still go thru regular to see the famous Glesga Celtic and to visit old pals,might have a couple a swallies over the weekend,get a long lie in the morra lol.

48 minutes ago, wingnut said:

I know this isn’t the forum for this subject but I’ve finally got round to retiring from my job at the Young of 66,won’t miss the cold days of getting up at half 4 in the rain wind and snow,wee trip to Tenerife with the family will be good in July,I’ll have to find a few things to do to keep myself occupied as I’m getting telt by old pals I’ll get bored out ma tits soon,I stay in Midlothian but originall fae Glesga and I’ll still go thru regular to see the famous Glesga Celtic and to visit old pals,might have a couple a swallies over the weekend,get a long lie in the morra lol.

General Nonsense - Things You Want To Share thread for this pish. 

59 minutes ago, wingnut said:

Between this and your random hotel post, are you okay?

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Retirement was the best thing I ever did - wish I'd done it when I was 18.

i retired when I was 30. Joined a golf club and member Monday medel. 

Got bored very quickly, so fucked off round the world 2 times.

First time was staying in facey hotels, second time. I put a wee bit of thought into it.

Volunteering/culture/getting to know the locals, away from the tourist traps.

Went back to work to help the local community, after I settled.

Now look forward to retiring....  

If you ask me, how could do that at 30.  i made a successful, distribution and logistics business, since 4th at school. Did it for 15 year, most die (like my friends), but if you keep the heed and save, there is a way out.

Edited by SlipperyP

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

You'll have more time on your hands to come on here stating you have inside info on things but can't tell anyone then. Can't wait.

That's where I nearly minded him from. Well done!

Best thing about retirement IMHO is time. All the stuff we squeezed in around work in the past, can just do it easily now. Taking the cat to the vet, getting a haircut, the car needs booked in for a service, need a trip to the dentist, need to powerwash that feckin’ driveway, weed the garden, anything… time. Having lots of it and not worrying about work. Have never regretted stopping work, nor have I missed it one single day.

When I was in my early 60s I had concerns about going from a very full work life to having nothing to do.  Fortunately the lockdowns during COVID showed me that there were positives in not having to go into work every day.  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the two plus years since I’ve retired and living in a warmer climate certainly makes it easier to be physically active all year round which I think is fundamentally important.

For various reasons I waited until I was almost 67 before I retired and I’d encourage anyone who can do so earlier to seize the opportunity.  All going well both my sons will be able to to retire in their 50s and even if they choose to work on knowing that the option is available is beneficial.

I find the only possible downside to retirement is that I sometimes procrastinate in a way that I hadn’t previously.  Sometimes I’ll put off a ten minute task for days when I should really just get it out of the way.

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Taking the cat to the vet, getting a haircut, the car needs booked in for a service, need a trip to the dentist, need to powerwash that feckin’ driveway, weed the garden

If this is retirement, I'll probably keep working tbh

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

i retired when I was 30. Joined a golf club and member Monday medel. 

Got bored very quickly, so fucked off round the world 2 times.

First time was staying in facey hotels, second time. I put a wee bit of thought into it.

Volunteering/culture/getting to know the locals, away from the tourist traps.

Went back to work to help the local community, after I settled.

Now look forward to retiring....  

If you ask me, how could do that at 30.  i made a successful, distribution and logistics business, since 4th at school. Did it for 15 year, most die (like my friends), but if you keep the heed and save, there is a way out.

Depends what you're logistically distributing.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

When I was in my early 60s I had concerns about going from a very full work life to having nothing to do.  Fortunately the lockdowns during COVID showed me that there were positives in not having to go into work every day.  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the two plus years since I’ve retired and living in a warmer climate certainly makes it easier to be physically active all year round which I think is fundamentally important.

For various reasons I waited until I was almost 67 before I retired and I’d encourage anyone who can do so earlier to seize the opportunity.  All going well both my sons will be able to to retire in their 50s and even if they choose to work on knowing that the option is available is beneficial.

I find the only possible downside to retirement is that I sometimes procrastinate in a way that I hadn’t previously.  Sometimes I’ll put off a ten minute task for days when I should really just get it out of the way.

I'd be the same, but it usually doesn't matter, apart from nagging away at the back of your mind.

I didn't retire until I was 67 either, got a wee uplift on my pension. My health isn't great, which is very restrictive, but I've 4.5 years retirement under my belt, and I didn't think I'd make it to 70.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There's a film made in the 80's called 'Pacific Heights'.  I watched it on first release back then.

Michael Keaton plays the anti-hero.

There is a scene where Keaton is asleep in his pit. The alarm clock goes off. 

This was the first time I'd seen a clock that you could record your own message on.

The message was a very loud...

"GET UP YOU LAZY B*****D... !"

That has become my mental kick up the arse to procrastination.

Edited by beefybake

4 hours ago, mathematics said:

I’ve been off work for a year (back soon) and it has been absolute bliss. Really made me determined to get out of work as soon as possible. The escape plan starts now.

Major problem when maths doesn't work, I would have thought.

2 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Major problem when maths doesn't work, I would have thought.

We have a new workmate who was retired but has had to start working again at 62 due to running out of money so yes you have to get the maths right.

Got 5 years left myself, can't wait tbh and will retire earlier if possible.