1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't think il get any applause at Falkirk when I peg it mostly because I keep myself to myself. 

So can you lot please say kind things about me now so I can at least know I was mourned in advance?

If your heart can take the celebrations of Saturday night I’m sure you’ve got a good few years left in you yet Bairnardo.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I’ll certainly be applauding and cheering when it’s announced.….too harsh? 

One minute firework display after Bairnardo's demise. 

There's so many of them now they have lost their impact. There should be an eligibility criteria based on age, cause of death, and references from friends or family to confirm they were sound. 

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

If your heart can take the celebrations of Saturday night I’m sure you’ve got a good few years left in you yet Bairnardo.

I still have at least 65% of my hangover today. Absolute fucked 😂

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I thought worth discussing without the added dimension of an actual person as in the other thread.

Get these minutes applause in the bin for me. We halve a half dozen a season at Tannadice now.

It's the social media-ification  of conducting all your business in public and the expectation that everybidy else should care creeping into real life

Fair enough for well known figures at a club that everyone was aware of and fans might want to acknowledge collectively but that's it and preferably before the game.

Can you not just post on yer own diddy forum.

cheers 

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't think il get any applause at Falkirk when I peg it mostly because I keep myself to myself. 

So can you lot please say kind things about me now so I can at least know I was mourned in advance?

You'll be missed by your 6 colleagues come pantomime season.

It’s at the point where we should just have a minutes applause/silence before every single home match in remembrance of all the ex players, ex club officials and fans that have died since the last home match. Because, of course, there will be people with historic or current connections to the all of the top clubs dying every single week.

Not to mention the minutes silence/ applause we sometimes have for deaths of other teams players/officials and select political figures/wars from around the world. 
The one I remember as bizarre was us having a minutes silence for Fernando Ricksen at St Mirren Park. I had nothing against him, and his young death was tragic, but he had absolutely no connections to our football club. 

A strange thing for anyone to get worked up imo.

If it makes the person's friends and/or family any sort of comfort at what is a horrible time for them then all for it.

Obviously loses meaning if it happens every week for every fan though.

Much more palatable than the performative silence/applause at the start of games, e.g. the Ukraine stuff and Lizzy dying, etc,.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

It’s at the point where we should just have a minutes applause/silence before every single home match in remembrance of all the ex players, ex club officials and fans that have died since the last home match. Because, of course, there will be people with historic or current connections to the all of the top clubs dying every single week.

Not to mention the minutes silence/ applause we sometimes have for deaths of other teams players/officials and select political figures/wars from around the world. 
The one I remember as bizarre was us having a minutes silence for Fernando Ricksen at St Mirren Park. I had nothing against him, and his young death was tragic, but he had absolutely no connections to our football club. 

The Ricksen one was utterly bizarre, died too young from a horrible disease but not connection to our club, I could perhaps have understood it had we been playing Rangers that week but we weren’t. 
In short, ex player, manager, club worthy, or significant national figure minutes applause or silence before the game, a fan then the end of year roll of honour is the place 

I'd never get upset about these things but they're a bit too common and half the time I don't know why I am claping.

If I pop and anyone does it for me. I'm gonna haunt ye.

11 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd never get upset about these things but they're a bit too common and half the time I don't know why I am claping.

Others will know why they are clapping though, and if it helps them at their time of grief fair fucks.

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think this sums up my feelings on it well. I think the applause on a certain minute idea was a nice touch a decade or so ago when it first started. But aye, now it is that common it doesn’t feel that respectful.

That’s not to say anyone with this opinion is getting worked up about it or won’t show the respect by joining in, but it just feels forced a lot of the time now.

23 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Do you?

Of course I do, which is why I was arguing it should be left for everyone to decide foe themselves.

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

As i said on the Livi match thread, i don't mind them for football related tributes, someone connected to the club in some form. Whether that be ex players, backroom staff, board members, or fans. Same goes for stadium disasters being remembered, these are heart felt and connected to football clubs, and fans.

Out with football though, i totally agree, it was getting ridiculous with the amount we were getting for Royal family deaths, disasters like floods or earth quakes, terrorist attacks, plane crashes, yes these are horrific and sad events that can have an affect on us seeing them, but i don't see why football clubs throughout the Country have to have minute silences/applause for them. The likes of the Queen dying had several events for anyone that felt the need to mourn her death, the coffin doing a tour of the Country too, gets just too much having football crowds having to do these announcements and silences when it's nothing to do with football, or connected in any way to clubs.

This.

It pisses me off that football is expected to be the national forum for mourning and commemoration. It doesn't happen in any other aspect of life. Maybe it's come about because we no longer all go to church and this is the closest thing, I dunno. It's not football's fault that there are no national institutions everyone follows any more.

Pre-match silences/ applause should only be for people associated with that club or tragedies associated with the club's community. And unless they're particularly notable, I like the practice of scooping them up and having a silence for them all before the last home game of the season.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of course I do, which is why I was arguing it should be left for everyone to decide foe themselves.

It's not being left for people to decide for themselves though, is it?

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

(you don't know where family/friends are, they could be behind you)

Even you've admitted you're doing it due to perceived social pressure.

Just now, RawB93 said:

It's not being left for people to decide for themselves though, is it?

It is yes. If you don't want to clap then don't clap, it's very simple.

Hmmm

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It is yes. If you don't want to clap then don't clap, it's very simple.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just be kind and clap for 60 seconds.