3 hours ago, DumbartonBud said:

St Mirren have done an end of season remembrance for fans that have passed in the previous 12 months with their names being read out and displayed in the big screen, that should be the best time for this kind of thing. 

The club have been doing this for a number of years now, it’s a great gesture and much appreciated by everyone connected with family members of folk who have passed.

I had two good friends that passed last year, both families were touched that the club made the effort to show some respect to loyal fans.

Has anyone ever been at a game where the person who has died (except for the queen etc) is someone you don’t like?

Imagine being at a game and it was someone who bullied you at school who had died.

Boooooooooooo ya c**t.

Airdrie put obituary notices for fans who have died on the website and social media, but I can't recall any particular minutes' silence for them as we have for ex-players.  There may have been some, but I don't remember any. 
What annoys me, though, is the arms-race of Remembrance Day commemorations.  It used to be that a single silence was enough.  That was sufficient, that was respectful enough.  Now we need to have that (at least once) and a wreath on the pitch and a poppy printed on the shirts and tributes in the programme, for those clubs that still produce a programme.  We never used to need all this extra stuff, nobody ever thougt that the simple silence was disprespectful and insufficient, but now if a club was to row back from what they must all do now, and go back to what everyone considered respectful enough ten or fifteen years ago, there'd be grumbling and huffing about it.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I thought worth discussing without the added dimension of an actual person as in the other thread.

Get these minutes applause in the bin for me. We halve a half dozen a season at Tannadice now.

It's the social media-ification  of conducting all your business in public and the expectation that everybidy else should care creeping into real life

Fair enough for well known figures at a club that everyone was aware of and fans might want to acknowledge collectively but that's it and preferably before the game.

We're you watching the Leeds v Hull game?

Ugh - this is a difficult topic…

I think I straddle the “Gens” as they call them now - catching the back end of where men were men, football was football and your private life was your private life but also right on the cusp of the generation where men can be women, offending people is not ok ever, football is an entertainment business and everything everyone does is plastered over social media.

My take is that people don’t want to offend anyone almost entirely because of social media. They say it’s because they are more open minded etc, but the reality is they know that at any time, anywhere now you could be being recorded and live streamed somewhere, or any comment you make verbally or in writing becomes an almost immediate public record and you will  be judged and shunned by whole communities, cities, countries or globally  depending how badly you fucked up.

My main opinion on this topic is that football is an escape for so many from their own lives and maybe they don’t want a constant reminder of the mortality of man - they just want to back their team, scream and shout obscenities and be passionate and joyful! 

My other opinion is that this “shared grief” is another way to garner attention online or on local media for people where now being seen is everything. Your dad/brother/wife/mother loves the club so much? Scatter their ashes at the ground privately or mention it at their eulogy where people who know them and loved them are present - don’t force your grief onto others who are out to try and have a good time and switch off from their lives at the football.

I know when my old man or god forbid my kids shuffle off their mortal coil I’ll stand at Dens with a tear in my eye, with my “Dens Park Family” we have sat with for years and remember them jumping down 2 rows and breaking their ankle, or screaming at the ref so much they had to take a seat cos they got lightheaded and pay my own personal respects. I don’t need the guy 2 rows down he landed on to be forced into clapping for him - they both think each other are arseholes - and usually remind all and sundry of their opinion on each other at least once a season - generally when we are getting beat. 

2 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

If it makes the family and friends of a loved one that has passed feel a little bit better in their time of grief then it's completely worthwhile for me.

The problem is where do you draw the line. How do explain to the family of Big Rab he can't have a tribute. Then agree to Wee Boab having one. What would the criteria be?

29 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

We're you watching the Leeds v Hull game?

Came to see if this was mentioned. The usual minutes applause procedure before kick off for the two fans murdered in Turkey then the game gets stopped in the 24th minute for another round of applause by everyone again. Never seen a double tribute for the same reason in a match before.

31 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The problem is where do you draw the line. How do explain to the family of Big Rab he can't have a tribute. Then agree to Wee Boab having one. What would the criteria be?

I don't think anyone should be denied the applause tbh.   Most clubs don't have that many supporters that it will ever go to 2/3 per game.  

5 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

I don't think anyone should be denied the applause tbh.   Most clubs don't have that many supporters that it will ever go to 2/3 per game.  

Ok, what if some old granda dies 50 years after emigrating, but he always watched for the results?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, A Diamond For Me said:

What annoys me, though, is the arms-race of Remembrance Day commemorations.  It used to be that a single silence was enough.  That was sufficient, that was respectful enough.  Now we need to have that (at least once) and a wreath on the pitch and a poppy printed on the shirts and tributes in the programme, for those clubs that still produce a programme.  We never used to need all this extra stuff, nobody ever thougt that the simple silence was disprespectful and insufficient, but now if a club was to row back from what they must all do now, and go back to what everyone considered respectful enough ten or fifteen years ago, there'd be grumbling and huffing about it.

David Squires, the football cartoonist in the Guardian, has had a few crackers on this very subject over the years:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2016/nov/08/david-squires-football-poppy-fury-season

https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2015/nov/10/david-squires-on-football-and-remembrance-day

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/nov/07/david-squires-on-football-and-poppygate-2017

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/nov/12/david-squires-on-football-and-the-poppy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/cartoon/2014/nov/13/david-squires-footballers-wearing-poppies

And of course who can forget Gunnersaurus’s solemn tribute to the fallen?

image.jpeg.c8a8459e615496f885a447cf2d2a5cf8.jpeg

12 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

What annoys me, though, is the arms-race of Remembrance Day commemorations.  It used to be that a single silence was enough.  

Pretty sure there wasn't any form of Remembrance silence at Scottish football matches until the mid-1990s, and even then initially only ahead of matches played on a Sunday.

(It was introduced for televised Sunday matches only; Sky were sensitive to criticism that people would patch Remembrance Sunday services for the football.)

Edited by Mr Heliums

First time we had a minute’s applause was in the 4th minute of a game against Airdrie many years back. It was to remember Norrie McCathie. They duly scored (in front of the Norrie McCathie stand) and their players rightly enjoyed their goal as Pars fans sheepishly looked around for the protocol. 

What @DumbartonBuddescribes sounds ideal. 

qs33.thumb.jpg.1119c44fbf8decc1e8db2f124e184877.jpg

If you remember the auld QOS lad that died in tragic circumstances at the next Queens home game against Edinburgh City there was a tribute from folk in the stand holding up their mobile phone torches. I thought that was quite a nice touch- it might not work so well on a summer day though. 

I want a minute's "For F*ck's Sake" when I go. It was the way I watched football mostly. 

I'd absolutely observe a minutes applause during a match for a supporter if it was comforting for their family, a decent thing to do.

Obviously football clubs will have a minutes applause or silence for ex players or, on the odd occasion a high profile player or manager in that country, Craig Brown being a prime example, I'd obviously support and observe things like that.

Moving on you have tragedies that affect clubs/communities such as Hillsborough, Ibrox disaster, anniversaries of things like this you'd have to be an absolute cretin to disrupt.

That's where it should end, political and religious figures, heads of state including Pope's, Prime Ministers and Royal Family have zero connections to clubs and football and by nature can be divisive and the cause of conflict between people so that can get in the bin for me.

I'd also add remembrance Sunday at the football,  I'll always observe it and wouldn't disrupt it but again, war or quite specifically the British military somewhat questionable recent history of conflict and conduct has more than a degree of ambiguity about its morals and merit, I personally feel the ramping up of it all, the poppy w**k fest and the almost insistence on people displaying poppies, almost in a garish fashion is an attempt to curry favour for the military and in particular the reprehensible foreign policies of successive UK governments, I feel very strongly about this having no place at football, as I said I'd never disrupt it but remembrance Sunday should be a solemn mark of respect and one of choice, not some garish jingoistic display of loyalty to Britain and its military at football stadiums.

Edited by Flybhoy

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The club to have some sort of loyalty points scheme, Big Rab who had two season tickets, spent around £200 a year on merchandise and subscribes to the club TV channel gets a minute applause. 

Wee Boab who was a season ticket holder till he fell seriously ill two years ago can get fucked  

9 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

always wanted saints to score while the opposition fans were having a mins applause 👏👏👏 anyone have any examples of this happening?

@RandomGuy. ran away when I asked him what he'd do if Bakayoko had scored the winner on Saturday 5 seconds into his minute's applause. Still waiting. 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Ok, what if some old granda dies 50 years after emigrating, but he always watched for the results?

If it makes family and friends feel that little bit better about their loss then there's no issue with it at all.  Still a supporter of the club. 

8 hours ago, Lex said:

The one I remember as bizarre was us having a minutes silence for Fernando Ricksen at St Mirren Park. I had nothing against him, and his young death was tragic, but he had absolutely no connections to our football club. 

Did that actually happen? If so, wow. 

According to Wikipedia, he played less than half his club career at Rangers. Nasty disease and all that but holy f**k. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow