St. Mirren v Hearts, 6th April 2024

We were honking all over the park today. Annoying that Hearts hardly needed to get out of 1st gear to get a result. They've got tidy footballers who can move the ball about.

We, yet again, had the rabbit in the headlights look about us in front of an expectant home support.

That said what a brilliant achievement - back to back top sixes is incredible - well done to everyone at the club.

Edited by mcginns

1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

McMenamon hasn't beaten Cochrane once since he's come on 

Because he is playing on the wrong wing. Why oh why we dont play such a left footed winger on the left wing is beyond me. Connor and Scott should have been switched. 

Disappointed with the result naturally but I thought both teams tried hard to play a passing game in a swirling wind.

Fortunately for us, good old reliable Hibs "Hibsed it" and Dundee, erm .., well, erm ... "Hibsed it" as well.

13 minutes ago, mcginns said:

We were honking all over the park today. Annoying that Hearts hardly needed to get out of 1st gear to get a result. They've got tidy footballers who can move the ball about.

We, yet again, had the rabbit in the headlights look about us in front of an expectant home support.

That said what a brilliant achievement - back to back top sizes is incredible - well done to everyone at the club.

It is a great achievement for St Mirren,  bit more luck and you could've been chasing Europe. I like how you are starting to pack out the ground aswell with home fans, real positive for the game imo.

6 minutes ago, Aylo vanal said:

It is a great achievement for St Mirren,  bit more luck and you could've been chasing Europe. I like how you are starting to pack out the ground aswell with home fans, real positive for the game imo.

We still are chasing Europe. Even if 4th is beyond us, 5th will still qualify as long as Aberdeen dont do anything mental and win the Scottish Cup.

Edited by Hendo

31 minutes ago, Hendo said:

We still are chasing Europe. Even if 4th is beyond us, 5th will still qualify as long as Aberdeen dont do anything mental and win the Scottish Cup.

Apologies I thought it was 4th and that was dependent on Aberdeen winning thecup which isn't happening. 

Thought our penalty was harsh but it seems they are given all the time these days which is shite for the game.

Not quite sure why the ref was even sent to check the St Mirren one, never a penalty. However once he's sent I was convinced it'd be given. We've been on the receiving end of the ref sticking to his decision and it feels like a double dunt, sore one.

The wind ruined it as a spectacle, pretty much every pass over 10 yards was affected. Both teams done their best given the conditions. 

Really pleased to dig that out considering the players we were missing.

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Thought our penalty was harsh but it seems they are given all the time these days which is shite for the game.

Not quite sure why the ref was even sent to check the St Mirren one, never a penalty. However once he's sent I was convinced it'd be given. We've been on the receiving end of the ref sticking to his decision and it feels like a double dunt, sore one.

The wind ruined it as a spectacle, pretty much every pass over 10 yards was affected. Both teams done their best given the conditions. 

Really pleased to dig that out considering the players we were missing.

Looks a stone wall pen on the TV highlights. Hearts defender takes his standing leg from behind. Classic case of ref being a c**t and not admitting his mistake. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Looks a stone wall pen on the TV highlights. Hearts defender takes his standing leg from behind. Classic case of ref being a c**t and not admitting his mistake. 

It wasn't clear and obviously wrong, there was a coming together and McMenamin looks like he flicks his leg towards Denholm.

I don't think it's a penalty, I certainly don't think the refs decision was clearly incorrect. But we've gotten away with one as 9 times out of 10 it's given when sent to the monitor.

44 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

Yeah. How the referee doesn't give us a penalty, I've no idea. Knicks Connor's leg into his other one. I'd suggest anyone saying it wasn't a penalty should remove the maroon glasses

I've just watched it again, at 0.25x speed, and there is absolutely no "kick" of any kind. It would have been a worse award than the one we got against Hibs a few weeks ago.

9 hours ago, ford prefect said:

Yeah. How the referee doesn't give us a penalty, I've no idea. Knicks Connor's leg into his other one. I'd suggest anyone saying it wasn't a penalty should remove the maroon glasses

Nah, it's at best a coming together, no kinck involved.

If it's any consolation, if the defender has been Alex Cochrane, and the venue had been Tynecastle, and the attacker had been a Celtic player, it had been given. But that doesn't make it a penalty 

7 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Nah, it's at best a coming together, no kinck involved.

If it's any consolation, if the defender has been Alex Cochrane, and the venue had been Tynecastle, and the attacker had been a Celtic player, it had been given. But that doesn't make it a penalty 

Fair play for somehow making Hearts the victim here. 

I've just watched our penalty shout back, and I think there is a bit if contact on McMenamin's left leg. Whether it's enough for a foul or not is arguable but I can see now why Dallas asked the ref to review it. 

It reminds me a bit of the Kyogo one against Livingston last week, insofar as there is some contact but maybe not enough for a foul. One thing's for sure though, this won't be analysed to the nth degree over the next week.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

Fair play for somehow making Hearts the victim here. 

My point was really about the inconsistency of referees 

And the hearts penalty... It's a handball by the rules. The current rule is a mess, but it's a penalty by it 🤷‍♂️

Having watched the highlights, ref got both pen right in my opinion. 

Hearts pen no argument, our not clear 1 way or the other. 

Just our luck that the ref didn't do what 99 refs out of 100 do, is to do what the var man tells him.

6 games now left with 3 against the bigots, oh the fun of being a football fan 😝