Dundee v Motherwell - 6th April

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

Incredibly unlucky to have completely localised rain directly above Dens park and no-where else in the country, five times.

That really is just bad luck, I guess.

What is not bad luck is , the Scotland game got delayed for an eternity, but the afa refused to give Dundee more time to play the The rangers game , the rain had stopped and pitch would’ve been playable by 2 or 3 pm 

9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Huh, referees don't have absolute power here?  I think you'll find when it comes to the decision on whether a pitch is playable or not they absolutely do. 

Exactly. Every game that's been called off has been because a referee has deemed it to be unsafe, barring the ones that were meant to be played during a storm...

Edited by Pens_Dark

28 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Late to this but I hope someone has claimed only one end of Tannadice Street has a microclimate.

I find all the moaning a bit ott...we play an outdoor sport in a wet country, occasionally a team will have a royal f**k up with their pitch. They didn't do it on purpose and screaming at them to take drastic action in mid season is daft.

Shrug it off as a quirk to be dealt with and check they're making a reasonable attempt at fixing it in summer. 

Stop being so sensible, this is neither the time nor the place.

Seeing a lot of people on other sites citing Motherwell's issues a few years ago as an example of what we should be doing to fix the pitch.  Any 'Well fans fancy enlightening me on how it took after the problems first arose to them being fixed?  It was a while ago now but I'm fairly confident it wasn't a few months.

31 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Late to this but I hope someone has claimed only one end of Tannadice Street has a microclimate.

I find all the moaning a bit ott...we play an outdoor sport in a wet country, occasionally a team will have a royal f**k up with their pitch. They didn't do it on purpose and screaming at them to take drastic action in mid season is daft.

Shrug it off as a quirk to be dealt with and check they're making a reasonable attempt at fixing it in summer. 

Aye. 

12 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It'll be like one of those Craig Brown Europa games.

Gannon surely? probably the same season mind you.

4 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

Seeing a lot of people on other sites citing Motherwell's issues a few years ago as an example of what we should be doing to fix the pitch.  Any 'Well fans fancy enlightening me on how it took after the problems first arose to them being fixed?  It was a while ago now but I'm fairly confident it wasn't a few months.

"few"

Wee dug it up and put the drainage in about 4 times.

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's snowing outside right now.

Aye, I posted that about 5. Back of 7 trying to pass Forfat was some laugh, like whacky races with idiots losing their arse end and I stead of just giving less throttle slamming their brakes on.

Good fun though.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Huh, referees don't have absolute power here?  I think you'll find when it comes to the decision on whether a pitch is playable or not they absolutely do. 

They have the power not to play a game if they think a pitch is unplayable. They don't have the power to force Dundee to play a game at Dens Park.

1 hour ago, stu2910 said:

We spent around £2m fixing that (lots of attempts at a few hundred grand and then a final £1m+ fix including some levelling works) - which is a serious amount of money for us. A part of our pitch waterlogged very easily and was a bit of a nightmare - it now seems to be able to take anything that is chucked at it - although the bowling green of the past few years has noticeably gone downhill a bit this winter. 

The Tannadice pitch in the past has looked terrible where as the Dens surface looked good, the roles have reversed. The current United groundsman(who is doing a good job) is moving to Dundee.

Can we no just share grounds teams?? The guys can wheel their equipment up and down the road and the clubs share the costs.

9 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

The Tannadice pitch in the past has looked terrible where as the Dens surface looked good, the roles have reversed. The current United groundsman(who is doing a good job) is moving to Dundee.

Can we no just share grounds teams?? The guys can wheel their equipment up and down the road and the clubs share the costs.

At Nou Campy.

2 hours ago, stu2910 said:

My details might be sketchy here but I’m sure we’ve had quite a few Motherwell specific problems over the years. When the south stand was built in 1993 it basically blocked out the sun because it’s a monstrosity which meant parts of the pitch remained frozen / waterlogged / grass wouldnt grow. Might be wrong but I’m sure that’s why there’s a big clear panel on one side of it now.  The under soil heating installed about 20 odd years ago added new problems as there’s a lot of clay in the ground which would harden when it was in use and crack the drainage pipes. So aye, it was years of problems before it was properly rectified over the course of about three summers. 

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think those in charge of the league would have rather that Dundee were honest about the fact they couldn't get the game on this weekend and made an alternative arrangement at any of the other grounds in Scotland that are in a suitable state to host top flight football.

The pitch was passed as playable yesterday.  I don’t think you can ask any club to predict how the pitch may or may not hold up with if the rainfall that is being forecast actually occurs.  

Have you any precedents regarding a pitch being passed as playable but a club declaring they think the pitch will be unplayable because of anticipated rain in the future?  There may well be a precedent for this, I am simply unaware of one.

Edited by Shadow Play

1 hour ago, Swello said:

We spent around £2m fixing that (lots of attempts at a few hundred grand and then a final £1m+ fix including some levelling works) - which is a serious amount of money for us. A part of our pitch waterlogged very easily and was a bit of a nightmare - it now seems to be able to take anything that is chucked at it - although the bowling green of the past few years has noticeably gone downhill a bit this winter. 

I suspect the managed decline at Dens will not stretch to that, so look forward to being here again next year.

If they'd just delayed kickoff against rangers until later on that same day (assuming the Dundee official who said it would be fine to play later that afternoon was right) then it wouldnae really matter, would it? They'd be able to play this game in the coming week if Dens isn't playable on Saturday.

Of course, we just had a midweek there during which the Dundee v rangers fixture could have easily been played, too. That would have also taken the pressure off any potential rescheduling of this fixture.