Rovers v Airdrie - Tuesday 09/04

Absolutely massive game for us.  Anything other than a win and we're left needing United to drop points in at least 2 games to be able to win the league.  Puts this firmly in the "must win" category for me.

The team should be really up for it as they have a point to prove against Airdrie.  We've got exactly what we've deserved from the 4 games so far this season so they need to go out there and show they're capable of beating them.

I'd go with the same starting 11 as yesterday (maybe Murray back in if fit) and would expect us to go at them from the start.  Hopefully manage to see a bit more football as the game won't be affected by wind the way yesterday was.

I'm confident we'll go out and get the job done with a 2-1 win (with Todorov almost certainly getting their goal).

8 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Absolutely massive game for us.  Anything other than a win and we're left needing United to drop points in at least 2 games to be able to win the league.  Puts this firmly in the "must win" category for me.

The team should be really up for it as they have a point to prove against Airdrie.  We've got exactly what we've deserved from the 4 games so far this season so they need to go out there and show they're capable of beating them.

I'd go with the same starting 11 as yesterday (maybe Murray back in if fit) and would expect us to go at them from the start.  Hopefully manage to see a bit more football as the game won't be affected by wind the way yesterday was.

I'm confident we'll go out and get the job done with a 2-1 win (with Todorov almost certainly getting their goal).

This isn’t the game for the same side. We’ve approached Airdrie the same as the other sides this season, and paid the price. They know, and set-up well to play, an Ian Murray side. Change it up slightly, move to a 4-4-2 to toughen up the middle a wee bit and use the two wide mids as the enveloping arms of an angry bear. The two up top would force Airdrie to adjust their strategy, giving those wingers opportunities. I also think Murray MUST not be rushed back, despite his importance.

Big Kev
JBrown/SBrown/Watson/Dick

Easton/Matthews/Stanton/Smith

Hamilton/Rudden

Reasoning for leaving Mullin, Byrne and Vaughan on the bench. Matthews hasn’t really played vs Airdrie all year, as could be said about much of the team. He adds a dig that Byrne seems to have lost whenever he faced Airdrie, so save him for Partick where he’s played well. Vaughan is better here also saved for off the bench and/or Friday. Mullin is the more difficult call, as his crosses could be raw meat for those two up top, but he doesn’t move from the wing with the ball, he gets it and places an excellent cross…having Easton slashing in will worry Airdrie more. A well rested Murray will hopefully be fully fit for Partick too.

Huge belief in McCabe to get this right once again. He’s certainly got Murray’s number and has nullified everything he has tried to do against us. 

That was my one criticism of Murray at Airdrie, he never really had a tactical plan B and it shows with Raith. 

We’re sky high at the moment after dominating Morton yesterday. If we do our thing and match Raith then I’m fairly confident we’ll come away with something. 

Even if we do win this one there is a good chance we will meet Airdrie in the playoffs. With that in mind I'm hoping for a much better performance that we've had against them so far this season. In particular the game in the Challange Cup was about as one sided a 1-0 win can be.

I'm really not confident we'll get a result here despite all of the evidence to the contrary in terms of the previous meetings this season. However, Rhys McCabe keeps finding a way and this team keeps proving everyone wrong (not Ayr mind you 😂).

What I will say though is that having seen Murray with us for a long time and McCabe over the last two seasons McCabe is a better manager for the modern game. In terms of philosophy, tactics, set pieces and motivational ability. I know that sounds daft given the league table, but given RRs budget probably being 3 or 4x ours it's valid I think.

Edited by cb_diamond

25 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I'm really not confident we'll get a result here despite all of the evidence to the contrary in terms of the previous meetings this season. However, Rhys McCabe keeps finding a way and this team keeps proving everyone wrong (not Ayr mind you 😂).

What I will say though is that having seen Murray with us for a long time and McCabe over the last two seasons McCabe is a better manager for the modern game. In terms of philosophy, tactics, set pieces and motivational ability. I know that sounds daft given the league table, but given RRs budget probably being 3 or 4x ours it's valid I think.

Huge respect for McCabe and Airdrie as a whole this season. However 3-4 times the budget, that's an utterly wild suggestion.

14 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

Huge respect for McCabe and Airdrie as a whole this season. However 3-4 times the budget, that's an utterly wild suggestion.

What is unquestionable is that Raiths budget is bigger than ours. At least double. 

37 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

Is it? Bearing in mind we had 3rd in L1 prize money and no significant cup runs? Plus no owner investment beyond keeping us on an even keel financially. Whereas you've had a serious influx of cash this year.

We have by far the hardest run in of all the teams chasing 4th, albeit after yesterday’s results I probably think it’s a straight shootout between us and Dunfermline now so this week really could define our season. Win on Tuesday and we’re in pole position. Win again on Saturday and I’ll finally allow myself to believe we can do it.

Against Arbroath & Morton, we’ve seen another evolution of McCabe-ball. I think we’ll end up keeping the shape as it’s paid dividends. Some of the passing play yesterday was a joy, too - fast and progressive. I do think McCabe and Todorov dovetail really well together despite being similar, and they both put a power of work in. Fingers crossed we see the same game.

That said, we can’t count on Easton, Smith, Rudden et al having another stinker against us. It’s going to be a very tough Tuesday in Kirkcaldy against a Raith side who may well see this as last chance saloon in the title race and who have absolutely no doubt have a point to prove against us.

It has all the making of a great game but no doubt the weather will have something to say about it. I can’t wait.

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at the exact proportion, but Raith's budget is clearly substantially larger than ours. 

As for the game, Airdrie will clearly be brimming with confidence, and rightly so.  Still, I keep expecting Raith to click against us, and while they keep not doing it, that can't last for ever.  They're not 16 points ahead of us for no reason, and the number of two-game weeks we've had recently may well take its toll.  Raith will be right up for this, because their margin for error is very, very slim and they know they can't afford to drop points here. 

Would take a point very happily, would be over the moon with three.

30 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

If Murray loses this one again, I think we should punt him back to Airdrie and get this better manager called McCabe for the modern game signed up for next season 😂😂😂😂

You don't think it's true? Would be fascinated to hear your reasoning

Think Murray might start same team as he did against Ayr-by saying that he’s likely to make at least 4 changes.

If Murray is back after his concussion he might come back in for Brown.

Mullin might come in for Connolly as well.

Forecast looks brutal during the day on Tuesday but hopefully clear come kick off time.

Hoping for a win eventually against Airdrie this season. We definitely need it.

10 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Think Murray might start same team as he did against Ayr-by saying that he’s likely to make at least 4 changes.

If Murray is back after his concussion he might come back in for Brown.

Mullin might come in for Connolly as well.

Forecast looks brutal during the day on Tuesday but hopefully clear come kick off time.

Hoping for a win eventually against Airdrie this season. We definitely need it.

The only change I would fully expect is Lewis to start in place of Dylan. Having not played yesterday makes that a sensible exchange. I would have said Rudden would start ahead of Hamilton too but I feel that Jack's performance deserves a second start.

Hard to predict as I'm sure we'll make a few changes - whether it's through the starting 11 or subbing guys who wouldn't normally come off. Obviously all games are important but if we beat Dunfermline on Saturday we could lose every other game and still have a high chance of getting 4th so it's the priority. Telfer and Frizzell were our best players yesterday and I don't think it's a coincidence that neither started on Tuesday. Frizz in particular seems to look fatigued when he is overplayed. Would expect Lyall, Donnell and either Gal or O'Connor to come in. Maybe Gavin Gallager for McMaster too.

I could be way off and McCabe just goes with the same team as Saturday for 70 minutes and then decides whether it's worth investing them for the full 90. But I'd expect some changes.

Unfortunately Tuesday will see us consigned to play off football, we don't have a premier league standard squad or manager, I don't care what the happy clappers say. It's all well and good beating the Arabs and the Pars but we have struggled against QP, Arbroath & Airdrie, that is not the sign of a top flight team.

Having said that, obviously we will now skoosh it by 3 goals on Tuesday, Utd will get the shiters up them and we will stroll to the title!

3 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

If Murray loses this one again, I think we should punt him back to Airdrie and get this better manager called McCabe for the modern game signed up for next season 😂😂😂😂

The apprentice wont win it this time though

We don't want him back. 🤷🏻‍♂️

He's a perennial bottle merchant. 😃