Best/Worst Cinema Experience

BFTD

12 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Worst: going in to see The Sixth Sense at the midnight showing, pished, and falling asleep after 20 minutes. Woke up at the end credits to be told by my mate 'c**t wiz deed'. Still never got round to seeing it, didn't seem to be much point after that spoiler.

My sister told me the spoiler about 10 minutes in when it came on tv so didn't bother watching the rest.

Worst film Ive seen at the cinema is the green hornet. It was meant to be 3d and it barely was. A truly atrocious film.

No actual cinema experience will ever compare with taking the bus between Glasgow and Inverness in the days of Video Recorders.

As soon as the bus was about to leave the station, the driver would start the video.  Occasionally it might be a film I would be happy to watch but often it was the same video again and again and again and again.

I got to recognise "The Adventures of Grizzly Adams" within the first five seconds.  It was absolute torture.

Worst film I watched in the cinema was "Thanks for sharing" only film I've walked out of, utter dugshite

Worst experience probably going to see "Will". I thought it was a historical biopic of Shakespeare, which I think it was, but didn't realise it was a horrible histories one! I had got in just before film was starting when it's proper dark found my seat ready to drink a big cup of strong coffee and then realised I was in a kids film and the only lone adult, i felt so awkward and that was before the caffeine kicked in, still wasn't as bad a film as the one above 

Years ago, my student union held a showing of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. What was interesting to me is that half the folk there walked out, but the half who stayed loved it. 

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Years ago, my student union held a showing of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. What was interesting to me is that half the folk there walked out, but the half who stayed loved it. 

Had similar with The Big Lebowski, Man Bites Dog, and Taxi Driver. Even the folk who stayed didn't seem to have enjoyed them much, going by the chat on the way out.

The latter two in particular seemed to upset or annoy a number of people.

Concur with the Phantom Menace. An abomination in the cinema.

Best for me would have been Rocky IV when it came out. Was like being at the Drago fight with folk up our their seats shouting all sorts. Superb. I was about 15 at time and 3 of us had sneaked in a half bottle of smirnoff. 

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Had similar with The Big Lebowski, Man Bites Dog, and Taxi Driver. Even the folk who stayed didn't seem to have enjoyed them much, going by the chat on the way out.

The latter two in particular seemed to upset or annoy a number of people.

How can anyone not love The Big Lebowski?

Just now, scottsdad said:

How can anyone not love The Big Lebowski?

I think everyone was bewildered because it just meanders along and peters out. A fair amount of "what the f**k was that all about?" going on as people left.

I liked it, but was similarly bemused. It was on subsequent watches that it really grew on me.

Worst - 8 Mile in late 2002 in the Warner Brothers/Vue Cinema in Inverness.  Some drunk virgin in the back row wouldn't shut the fuck up and three of us, including me got him told.  None of us knew each other I don't think, well I certainly didn't know the other two, we were all just fucked off his his shite

Best - Underworld Evolution in 2006 again in the Warner Brothers/Vue Cinema in Inverness.  Got steaming in the Snowgoose before the film, traipsed across the retail park, and fell asleep 10 minutes into the film.  Woke up as the credits were rolling.  My mates told me the film was so shite they didn't bother waking me up.

Glasgow Cineworld on Renfrew Street, Batman Begins when it was new out. Junkie in the front row, absolutely wasted, babbling away to himself happily. Nothing abnormal for that cinema (at the time, anyway).

During the early prison scene, our hero suddenly starts screaming, "IT'S BATMAN! BATMAAAAAN!" as loud as he could, which causes the lassie at the other end of his row to jump up and bolt for the door. By the time she comes back with ushers (or whatever the staff are called now), he's degenerated into proper terror about whatever he's imagining on the screen, sliding down on his seat until he's almost on the floor. He didn't resist when the staff grabbed arms and legs and carried him out, still screaming.

All over within a few minutes and didn't spoil the screening too much TBH. Good film; would recommend.

44 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Glasgow Cineworld on Renfrew Street, Batman Begins when it was new out. Junkie in the front row, absolutely wasted, babbling away to himself happily. Nothing abnormal for that cinema (at the time, anyway).

During the early prison scene, our hero suddenly starts screaming, "IT'S BATMAN! BATMAAAAAN!" as loud as he could, which causes the lassie at the other end of his row to jump up and bolt for the door. By the time she comes back with ushers (or whatever the staff are called now), he's degenerated into proper terror about whatever he's imagining on the screen, sliding down on his seat until he's almost on the floor. He didn't resist when the staff grabbed arms and legs and carried him out, still screaming.

All over within a few minutes and didn't spoil the screening too much TBH. Good film; would recommend.

Sorry, is this your best experience or worst?

Just now, accies1874 said:

Sorry, is this your best experience or worst?

Neither, but we're doing addled experiences right now.

I'd like to think it was his worst, though. I've never been that scared of anything, never mind a giant projection of Christian Bale's face.

On 21/04/2024 at 13:08, Fullerene said:

No actual cinema experience will ever compare with taking the bus between Glasgow and Inverness in the days of Video Recorders.

As soon as the bus was about to leave the station, the driver would start the video.  Occasionally it might be a film I would be happy to watch but often it was the same video again and again and again and again.

I got to recognise "The Adventures of Grizzly Adams" within the first five seconds.  It was absolute torture.

On the tiny shitey telly down the front?

I think the closest I came to walking out of a film was "Now You See Me".

A film that would just be forgettably bland if it didn't have the added ingredient of actors/characters so utterly hateful.

Best experience was the first Wolverine stand alone film.  The movie itself was shit, but the lassie I was there with gave me a w**k.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Yes.  Carefully positioned so the driver couldn't watch while he was driving.  That was an initial mistake, I would say.

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Given the tech available now I'm absolutely fucking amazed that me and an entire bus of 13 year olds (I was one of them) watched Ace Ventura on a bus down to Alton Towers. Tiny TV and no doubt rubbish sound, but I definitely saw and took in the entire film.  Wild.

Another bad experience was Alien vs Predator 2.  Zero character development so you didn't care if anyone got killed and worst of all was really poor lighting so you were always struggling to make sense of what was going on.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Given the tech available now I'm absolutely fucking amazed that me and an entire bus of 13 year olds (I was one of them) watched Ace Ventura on a bus down to Alton Towers. Tiny TV and no doubt rubbish sound, but I definitely saw and took in the entire film.  Wild.

We actually watched Under Siege on the way to Alton Towers, very surprised the teachers allowed it tbh but there was a massive cheer on the bus when Erika Eleniak popped out a cake with no top on 

Best was probably the South Park Bigger Longer Uncut swear-along at the Prince Charles cinema a few years ago - being in a roomful of people singing along with the Uncle Fucker song was utterly purile yet joyful. Hard to pick a standout worst experience, but have had several films ruined by the usual excessive cuntery (mobile phones, ill disciplined kids, pissheads, back row bonking, etc)

Edited by Scorge