3 hours ago, stevoraith said:

One thing you can guarantee on a match thread involving Morton is a bunch of Morton fans getting annoyed and red-dotting everyone who says they are a dirty team, despite them having more than 50% more yellow cards than the team with the second most yellows in the league (incidentally Raith). 
More than a sixth of all the yellow cards in the championship this season have been shown to Morton players. 

But they’re not a dirty team. 

It probably suggests that their persistent fouling and bookings are of the snidey, niggling, insidious sort rather than big hatchet men halving opposition players. 

It's a mystery where this approach comes from. I'm sure Doogie's telling them to go out and play entertaining, flowing fitba.

5 hours ago, pub car king said:

Do bookings count for the play offs? 

4 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Straight reds certainly do.

That's why the prospect of Colin Steven at this stage of the season is so frightening.

As long as they define the playoffs as part of the Championship “Competition”, yes. Page 139 of the current JPP stipulates that the Championship “Competition” includes the “play off competitions”. Now, this does leave a rather perplexing question on total yellows and suspension, as the phrase there is “League Season”, and the SPFL Documents clearly suggest the Play Offs occur after the season…but with just Easton on 9 and Byrne on 8, we’re (hopefully) unlikely to face a question there.

So, a red on Saturday would be miss the Arbroath final, and perhaps (for A1-3 reasons) the first playoff match*. Likewise, a red next Friday will have play off consequences.

*Excepting Millen and E. Murray, who already having a sending off offence on the books, would either serve 2 or 3 matches for a second yellow or straight red.

9 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

It probably suggests that their persistent fouling and bookings are of the snidey, niggling, insidious sort rather than big hatchet men halving opposition players. 

That's the point (plus dissent and garbage refs). Nobody's getting hurt. Therefore, not a dirty team.

14 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

This is spot on. No one has ever questioned that when we want to be or are holding onto a lead we can be cynical shithouses and probably to a greater extent than anyone else in the division. From being too lightweight and easy to bully last season which needed a meaner streak added, now we're coming to the end of this season we can safely say we overcorrected and went too far the other way with the addition of Power and Broadfoot - the two of them alone have contributed 21 of the cards and no one's arguing they've been harshly treated. I think 4 or 5 of Muirhead's 9 have been dissent as well, a player who needs to learn to shut up.

However just as people seem incapable of understanding that "physical" can mean a load of energetic players running themselves into the ground pressing relentlessly rather than a team of 6'5 giants who'll dominate through head tennis, there's a struggle to separate cynical shithousery and willful brutality which doesn't care about or actively tries to injure players. The latter in this team pretty much begins and ends with Broadfoot, who if anything has been lucky to get away with the number of yellows he has for the number of times he's gotten involved in off the ball stupidity that could easily have been a red instead.

Obviously when you're playing that way it means others can be borderline and as games turn bad-tempered can be guilty of getting into nonsense or overzealous tackles too, while in the last few weeks Baird has seemingly lost his mind and lashed out off the ball in a huff every time a game has slipped away as the season has gone down the tubes with it, but generally if you're looking for full on dangerous challenges that risk injuries through leaving the boot in they're not any worse than Shaun Byrne, Brian Graham or various other players in the division, and even Broadfoot is nowhere near as bad as Aaron Taylor-Sinclair.

It'll be nice for the season to end and give us a break from this discussion starting in every other match thread.

6 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That's the point (plus dissent and garbage refs). Nobody's getting hurt. Therefore, not a dirty team.

Every team in the division faces garbage refs and I doubt there is a conspiracy against Morton.

Dirty? Depends how you define it.  They're not Racing Club 1967 dirty (at least not from the televised games I saw bits of), but the yellow count being so far ahead of the next worst team suggests that they probably have a game plan to commit a lot of fouls (i.e., constantly cheat) to break up play. It made them hard to beat mid-season but you can't really complain when people point out Morton's shithousery and call them dirty - they are; just not ultra-violently dirty.  That said, I agree with @Dunning1874 that most teams have a hacker and yours is the unlovable Broadfoot.

Still struggling to understand why so many folk have issues with Morton. Seen them 3 times this season. Won 2 got pumped in 1. Didn't notice a particular style as such just a pretty solid championship team.

Edited by da_no_1

3 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Every team in the division faces garbage refs and I doubt there is a conspiracy against Morton.

Dirty? Depends how you define it.  They're not Racing Club 1967 dirty (at least not from the televised games I saw bits of), but the yellow count being so far ahead of the next worst team suggests that they probably have a game plan to commit a lot of fouls (i.e., constantly cheat) to break up play. It made them hard to beat mid-season but you can't really complain when people point out Morton's shithousery and call them dirty - they are; just not ultra-violently dirty.  That said, I agree with @Dunning1874 that most teams have a hacker and yours is the unlovable Broadfoot.

I would love to understand the leap that you’ve taken to arrive at that conclusion. 

On 24/04/2024 at 09:20, Alibi said:

This "brutal" Morton thing is a load of nonsense.  In reality we are not a team of tall, strong players and on more than one occasion this season we've been kicked off the park by opponents (Airdrie at Cappielow being one prime example).  Part of our problem this season has been the number of injuries we have sustained - from Jai Quitongo being assaulted by the usually mild mannered Andy Murdoch to George Oakley being targeted by some double barrelled mutant from Monklands. I think Raith are more than capable of giving as good as they get in that respect.

No idea what we'll be like on Saturday, whether we are trying as hard as possible to hang on to 5th and the extra prize money that means, or more likely with thoughts on a wee break in the sun before next season.  Would be nice to beat Raith although in truth there isn't really anything vital to play for with this one as we're now safe and Raith are safe in second place.  We will have Strapp and Wilson out which weakens our team considerably.  I'm guessing a dull 1-1 draw but it's Morton so you never know.

Are you lot still bleating on about that :lol: He tried to stop a counter attack, it wasn't a GBH assault as you make out.

52 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Are you lot still bleating on about that :lol: He tried to stop a counter attack, it wasn't a GBH assault as you make out.

It was a pretty violent challenge, and one that seemed out of character for Murdoch, who is not a dirty player.  It put Quitongo out of action for a few weeks, but Murdoch himself came off worse with ligament damage that has kept him out for the whole season.

On 24/04/2024 at 10:45, Colkitto said:

I really hope the mentality for this game is keeping our 5th spot. In essence it's a nothing game for both clubs I suppose.

Surely Bearne will get a run out from the start along with Jai.  Garrity may be injured as he came off in the 1st half last week. McGrattan may get a look in too. 

Would maybe rest both Robbie's or give them 60 mins each. 

Could be the last game at Cappielow for Morton for a few of them, who knows? 

1-0 Morton 

😂

7 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

3 hours ago, Chicken Soup said:

I would love to understand the leap that you’ve taken to arrive at that conclusion. 

Aye, ‘probably’ is doing some heavy lifting there…

Hope for a better than average dead rubber end of season game and keeping hold of 5th spot.

Expect RR to refresh their team and get ready for the play offs so don't expect a dirty game.

Expect the ref to be poor as any decent ones are on VAR duty and the Championship has to put up with a lower standard.

Anyway best of luck in the PO's as would welcome St Johnstone for a change next season. 

Worst match thread of the season this!

Hope the zero pressure on us means we’ll keep the ball down and try play some nice stuff.

Murray still doesn’t know his best 11 so I expect chances given to Corr and McGill.