Euro 2024 Expectations

Euro 2024 Expectations  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations ahead of the tournament

• No Expectations
    • We’ve already met my expectations by qualifying. Anything else is a bonus.
    • To perform well, be competitive and not embarrass ourselves having made the tournament.
    • To qualify from the group.
    • To reach the later stages of the Tournament.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/05/24 at 21:00

On 20/05/2024 at 11:24, ChrispPancake said:

Agnes from Port Glasgow...the Scotland strip on her size 24 frame

Wid.

Not confident at all and think we’ll end up with maybe a point at most. 

Feel like since we secured qualification it’s all been a bit of a mess and can’t help but think Clarke knows he’s off after this tournament and just wants to get ‘his’ boys as many caps as possible instead of taking a chance on Doak, Conway, Miller or reaching out to a Livramento/Barnes. 

Think he’ll announce he’s off basically as soon as we’re knocked out. Canny wait for the media campaign for McInnes to replace him haha!

You seriously think that Steve Clarke, having reached the pinnacle of his managerial career, is now just using it as a chance to a bunch of players he likes some caps?

Just noticed all 3 of our games are 8pm kick-offs so at least it’ll be a bit cooler. Only down side is what kind of state will I be in by  KO!

Im going for 4 points which will hopefully take us through 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 17/05/2024 at 23:20, SlayerX said:

Been here for 14 years, mate. 11 years longer than you.

Expecting Scotland to win Euro 24 makes me a Troll?

OK. Good luck with that.

Namaste.

Expecting Scotland to win Euro 24 doesn't make you a troll.....it makes you an idiot. 

On 22/05/2024 at 00:39, Kadouken_ said:

Feel like since we secured qualification it’s all been a bit of a mess and can’t help but think Clarke knows he’s off after this tournament and just wants to get ‘his’ boys as many caps as possible instead of taking a chance on Doak, Conway, Miller or reaching out to a Livramento/Barnes. 

Think he’ll announce he’s off basically as soon as we’re knocked out. Canny wait for the media campaign for McInnes to replace him haha!

that is the biggest load of pish I've ever read in this section and there's some competition for that tittle

Posted (edited)

It's football. Literally anything can happen unless the gulf in class is so great that it cannot be overcome. I don't see that gulf in class existing between any of the teams in our group. Therefore tactics, form, confidence, momentum, spirit, individual battles, refereeing decisions, luck and game management will all play a major part in every game, and anything could happen

I have no expectations, only hopes.

Edited by allyo

11 minutes ago, allyo said:

It's football. Literally anything can happen unless the gulf in class is so great that it cannot be overcome. I don't see that gulf in class existing between any of the teams in our group. Therefore tactics, form, confidence, momentum, spirit, individual battles, refereeing decisions, luck and game management will all play a major part in every game, and anything could happen

Definitely nothing to fear against any of the teams, all beatable and that includes Germany however unlikely that is but we've seen them falter before against Japan at the previous tournament. 

Surely you would have an expectation for us to gain at least a point though?

Immediately after the Spain away game I would've backed us to get through this group. After some injuries and our last few games (albeit friendlies) I am bit more pessimistic. The Germany game will be tough, I'd like to think with a bit luck we can get 4 points out the next 2. Not playing against mugs though so it could go the other way. The last euros we picked up a point in the game nobody gave us a hope in.

The Germany game is a cup final.  The pressure could help or hinder them.  We could be resolute or overrun.  They're huge favourites, but nothing like they would have been in years past.

Switzerland and Hungary are both strong, but vulnerable teams.  Switzerland have brilliant tournament pedigree, who were hugely underwhelming in a very weak group in qualifying.  Hungary haven't been much for a couple of decades, and have then turned into a serious Tier-2 UEFA nation since around 2016.

Player for player they are very similar to us.  It will come down to discipline, game plan, luck, and whether our relative areas of strength make it more/less likely to get a positive result.

Both sides have better centre halves, and better goalkeepers.  Shaqiri aside, neither have a prolific goalscorer.  Whoever is successful, will do by impressive team performances, rather than an individual getting them there.

They're probably both better than Ukraine, but not as good as (the current) Austria side, or the Danes.

Our missed opportunity in Euro 2020 was against a Czech side (reasonably similar level to these two) who we really should have done better against.  The match v Switzerland is our chance this time.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, frazk11 said:

I know this isn't really the place for it so apologies, but i'm raffling my two extra tickets for the Germany game for charity. £20 a ticket to be in with a chance to win.

Raffle run through crowdfunder so totally legit. Any help to share would be great. 

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/scotland-vs-germany-tickets/

Win 2 x Scotland vs Germany tix £20 charity raffle.png

Not having a go or questioning the validity of this but is there a reason why in this situation you don't just sell the tickets and give the money to the charity rather than what seems like a fair bit of faff to set these sort of things up.

Is it a tax thing ?

Edited by Billy Jean King

On 21/05/2024 at 16:39, Kadouken_ said:

Correct. It's no surprised that half the Scotland squad have played for Celtic at some point.

If or when McInnes comes in the caps will go to the other side.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Looking at it as objectively as possibly, for every 100 attempts we have at qualifying out of our group I reckon we make it about 65 times.

Beyond that there are far too many variables.

I agree with that.  Germany will expect to top the group and failure to make it out will be a humiliating disaster for them

Beyond that, the remaining 3 sides will all feel they could come second yet could also end up bottom

46 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Not having a go or questioning the validity of this but is there a reason why in this situation you don't just sell the tickets and give the money to the charity rather than what seems like a fair bit of faff to set these sort of things up.

Is it a tax thing ?

We done this with Rangers Europa final tix and raised £50k, so just trying to raise as much a possible for charity, don't think anyone would pay £50k for two tickets?

3 hours ago, allyo said:

Also this, can everyone just stop for a minute and remember we are not the Scotland under Strachan or Vogts. We actually have quality players all over the park who play for top clubs, f**k me some of them even have some medals to their name.  We don't have the depth of squad that tier 1 nations have and we are prone to a few howlers from time to time. But we are actually capable of topping the group. I'm not saying we will. but we are a good side