Aberdeen v Motherwell. If anyone's interested.

Motherwell as a club and support clearly do not want to see the dandies relegated. Thank you. 

I only saw the last half hour of this but thought we looked pretty good against 10 men. And I don’t think Motherwell can have too many arguments with a red there to be honest. 

The first half had a feeling of a half-arsed, slightly aimless friendly, and this group of players definitely haven't earned the right to coast through significant periods of games like that.

The second half was better, particularly after the red card. Our transitions were pretty effective, especially when Duk was involved, although we were sometimes guilty of not quite getting the final pass right. Some standard-issue nonsense in stoppage time from Devlin at one end of the park and then Sokler at the other, but we did deserve to win. I haven't seen the red card back, but it looked very high from the other side of the park. 

Barron looked a level above everybody else at times. Clarkson at least had the gumption to try things at 0-0, even if they didn't always come off for him. A nicely placed header from Gartenmann for the goal, along with another assist from Hoilett, who I thought benefited from the additional space after the red card. 

Edited by DrewDon

What a wonderful interview on Sportsound with Stuart Kettlewell. So many managerial clichés squeezed into a 4 minute space. "Player red carded is the most mild mannered player you could ever meet." "You need to have played the game to understand that's not a red card." "The referee couldn't wait to get the red out." There must have been others which I've forgotten. Mr Kettlewell doesn't take defeat well. (No pun intended)

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What a wonderful interview on Sportsound with Stuart Kettlewell. So many managerial clichés squeezed into a 4 minute space. "Player red carded is the most mild mannered player you could ever meet." "You need to have played the game to understand that's not a red card." "The referee couldn't wait to get the red out." There must have been others which I've forgotten. Mr Kettlewell doesn't take defeat well. (No pun intended)

Hes a twat really isnt he

Often seems to be attempting to sound a lot more intelligent than he is as well.

4 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Hes a twat really isnt he

Often seems to be attempting to sound a lot more intelligent than he is as well.

He definitely speaks well. It’s just that it’s usually a pile of shite.

6 hours ago, STFU_Donny said:

Steak and peppercorn sauce pie today. Buzzing.

Absolutely delicious. Unfortunately it’ll be a different Pie Of The Month next Saturday.

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Sunglasses on the drive up but freezing in the stands 

I got a lovely sun tan in the RDS Lower.

3 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

That is never ever a red card 

I’ve only seen it at the match, but seemed to me that he caught Jack McKenzie with his studs on his upper body. Although Kettlewell is trying to argue otherwise, that will be a red card 99 times out of 100, regardless of whether it’s intentional or not. 

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Kelly looking lost at a corner as per usual

2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

I'll be glad to see the back or Kelly. Absolutely no confidence with him.

That's 3 clean sheets in 34

He stopped the score from being three or four today.

2 hours ago, boozyBJ said:

The drop in Spittals form has been spectacular 

If I remember correctly, his head is in Gorgie.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That should nearly do it.

It should, but won’t rest easy until it’s mathematically done. Never again please.

21 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Yeah I had a lot of sympathy with them after the fir park game. We definitely got lucky there, but today is a strange hill to die on. Suspect he’ll realise that later this evening. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah I had a lot of sympathy with them after the fir park game. We definitely got lucky there, but today is a strange hill to die on. Suspect he’ll realise that later this evening. 

In about 4 minutes he only talked about the red card, in detail, the referee, in detail, and nothing else.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

although we were sometimes guilty of not quite getting the final pass right.

the people around me in the South Stand were going apeshit at our repeated failure to play the right pass.  Motherwell went to pot for about 20 minutes, we really should have been 3-0 up going into the last 10 minutes.

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I thought we were on top before the red after Motherwell had the best of the first half.

Deserved win in the end. I was quite far from the incident but looked a dangerous tackle to me, even if it's accidental.

Endangering an opponent would’ve been the offence & thats regardless of the intent (there was none).

The lad was unlucky & some refs would’ve only given a yellow.

Either way, there wasn’t enough for VAR to overturn the onfield decision, and that stands whether he gave a yellow or red. 

I know it's not exactly uncommon for managers to make things up to defend their own players, but Kettlewell's assessment that Mackenzie goes "charging into" Vale is just nonsense. I have seen it back on Sportscene now and it is an even more obvious red card than it looked live. 

42 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

In about 4 minutes he only talked about the red card, in detail, the referee, in detail, and nothing else.

Tbf, most of his interviews are around 20-30 minutes long so he probably forgot about the time-limit.

30 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I know it's not exactly uncommon for managers to make things up to defend their own players, but Kettlewell's assessment that Mackenzie goes "charging into" Vale is just nonsense. I have seen it back on Sportscene now and it is an even more obvious red card than it looked live. 

Kettlewell is a havering, word salad, dick head, that’s why. 

36 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Neil McCann and Lee Miller don’t agree. Although they’re working with the Laws Of The Game from 1990.

At the game I didn’t see a foot in the belly, I thought the Aberdeen boy had challenged Vale and was getting a very harsh yellow, then I realised it was red and for Vale.  I can see the ref’s point of view but I am persuaded by the Sportscene pundits that he kicked the ball then the Aberdeen player ‘steamed in’. Not enough of an ‘error’ for VAR to overturn,

Not specific to this incident but I often wonder why a player has no responsibility to protect himself, a defender can be clearing the ball but an attacker, who can’t get the ball, dangles a leg in the area of the arc of the defenders kick.  There is contact and it’s the defenders fault.

Dont know if Vale’s absence impacted our defending of the goal, our Alamo at the end was exciting but didn’t actually trouble the keeper.