East Kilbride v Stranraer

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Sitter of sitters at 8:46. Good video from the guy. Sam and Blair there as well so there should be plenty of footage to giggle at East Kilbride with shortly

Also 9.57, same player

Edited by scott666

14 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Sitter of sitters at 8:46. Good video from the guy. Sam and Blair there as well so there should be plenty of footage to giggle at East Kilbride with shortly

Genuine goosebumps when that second Stranraer goal goes in. I'd say that's what football is all about but given what this particular game means, I'm not sure many will have lived through quite THAT outpouring of emotion. 

It's also hilarious to hear a drum suddenly stop.

5 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

You are forgetting the massive conurbation of Maryburgh.

I did just have to google that and didn’t realise those couple of houses I cycle past actually had there own name!

11 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I think folk are under an illusion that a 20 year old team should automatically have loads of season ticket holders and a hard core support without thinking about WHERE all that comes from. 

I lived in Inverness and saw the slow progress from only OF tops, to a few Aberdeen (when Thistle and Caley merged) and it took another 10 years to start seeing kids wearing ICT tops. This was 10-15 years ago and they kids are only hitting adulthood a few years ago and are the first ICT diehards... Then you need them to have kids and bring them up ICT fans to have a semi decent support. 

EK are sitting on a goldmine and WERE going about things the right way, it will take time and a lot of ridicule, but they will get there eventually and be a serious club in the SPFL

Here's Mick 25 years from now, panning in the foothills of South Lanarkshire

*GOLD*

Call me Nostradamus

gold-fever.jpg

23 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Great scenes....but also Stranraer fans causing trouble outside the ground again? Thought it only happened when big bad Clyde came to town...Common denominator here 

6 minutes ago, Clangers said:

I did just have to google that and didn’t realise those couple of houses I cycle past actually had there own name!

Big Leish had a house there, next to the burn.

Incredibly it's in Perth and Kinross.

30 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

And not a single fanny with a phone in front of them trying to record it. Fucking brilliant, proper football fans! 

22 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I think folk are under an illusion that a 20 year old team should automatically have loads of season ticket holders and a hard core support without thinking about WHERE all that comes from. 

I lived in Inverness and saw the slow progress from only OF tops, to a few Aberdeen (when Thistle and Caley merged) and it took another 10 years to start seeing kids wearing ICT tops. This was 10-15 years ago and they kids are only hitting adulthood a few years ago and are the first ICT diehards... Then you need them to have kids and bring them up ICT fans to have a semi decent support. 

EK are sitting on a goldmine and WERE going about things the right way, it will take time and a lot of ridicule, but they will get there eventually and be a serious club in the SPFL

Sitting on a gold mine? 

Like Hamilton or Albion Rovers or Airdrie (even Stirling ffs) or any of the other numerous large areas in the central belt that cannot attract a sizeable support due to the existence of Rangers and Celtic - you’re kidding yourself on

7 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

Great scenes....but also Stranraer fans causing trouble outside the ground again? Thought it only happened when big bad Clyde came to town...Common denominator here 

There were too many posing as Stranraer supporters today, we’ve normally got around 300 of a support. 
Is it possible that these were Clyde fans dressed in blue causing the trouble? 

Went along to this today with my friend who has a family connection to Stranraer, really enjoyed my Saturday.

First time I’ve visited Stair Park, cracking ground ideal for a PT club. Gambled on being able to add it towards completing the 42 and it paid off 😅

The game itself ebbed and flowed. An absolute screamer to open the scoring and Stranraer were on top for the middle period of the game. East Kilbride will be kicking themselves for their missed chances later on, especially Balde. Thought EK would take it in extra time as Stranraer looked tired but the hosts took their chances towards the end when it mattered. Could see how much it meant to the fans to secure their SPFL status, great stuff.

Congratulations to Stranraer. I’m glad we’ll continue to have a good geographical spread in the leagues with your area represented within the SPFL. Can imagine you face similar challenges to a lot of teams in the north in terms of recruitment and travel so fair play.

12 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Here's Mick 25 years from now, panning in the foothills of South Lanarkshire

*GOLD*

Call me Nostradamus

gold-fever.jpg

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Sitting on a gold mine? 

Like Hamilton or Albion Rovers or Airdrie (even Stirling ffs) or any of the other numerous large areas in the central belt that cannot attract a sizeable support due to the existence of Rangers and Celtic - you’re kidding yourself on

Rattled much? 😂

They'll be bigger than most of the current teams in the SPFL, if that doesn't hurt your feelings too much

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, David W said:

Genuine goosebumps when that second Stranraer goal goes in. I'd say that's what football is all about but given what this particular game means, I'm not sure many will have lived through quite THAT outpouring of emotion.

Yeah it was a crazy few minutes. The place was incredibly tense and nervy and as soon as that header hit the net the noise and scenes were incredible. All that fear released in one moment of joy.

Only football can do that. Was quite cool to kinda stand back as a 'neutral' and watch it unfold.

Edited by AUcal

11 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Rattled much? 😂

They'll be bigger than most of the current teams in the SPFL, if that doesn't hurt your feelings too much

'Most of the current teams in the SPFL'...

50 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

First of all don t think play offs are fair a team can finish more than 20 points less than another but still get promoted and the other doesn't it's a league not a cup it's played over a full season the team with the most points goes up! At the lower end between from tier 4 down it gets complicated as there's many different leagues playing for that one spot and I don t have a solution to how it can be played out.

There aren't 'many different leagues' playing for one spot; there are two, the Highland and Lowland Leagues, each playing for one spot to play club 42.

It isn't an ideal situation though. I think bottom of League 2 should be relegated (to the relevant league) and the Highland and Lowland League winners play off. Winner automatically goes up. The loser plays 9th in League 2 for a spot in the SPFL.

Alternatively there is a mini tournament between Highland and Lowland League winners and 9th in League 2, with the top two teams taking places in League 2 (bottom of said league still automatically goes down).

24 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

There were too many posing as Stranraer supporters today, we’ve normally got around 300 of a support. 
Is it possible that these were Chelsea fans dressed in blue causing the trouble? 

FTFY

1 hour ago, GallowayBlue said:

Maybe, but at least we're there for now and we've had so many good years. 😊 

You seem to have it in for Stranraer for some reason. Have a good night, we certainly will.

Sitting in a closed shop for decades and you want sympathy.

Nah survival of the fittest.

Few bad seasons and it could be any club.

If there was proper promotion/relegation Stranraer would be history as far as the top leagues are concerned.

Still, time is a great leveller.