Raith Rovers 🔵⚪️ [3] Vs [3] Partick Thistle 🔴🟡 [Rovers progress on penalties]

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Since Broony missed his penno rovers should send him back to us imo

It’s mind blowing Peterhead managed to hold onto a player like Brown for as long as you did, guy is clearly good enough for the Championship and could probably do a job in the Premiership.  Delighted Murray brought him to the Rovers.  

Reflecting on last nights game (minus beer) it was absolutely nerve shredding, thought Thistle played a great game and got right in our faces and played a physical game that we don’t like much in the same way Airdrie have been so effective against us. Thistle looked the more likely to win it and credit to them for the energy they showed as I’ve no idea where it came from considering they looked leggy in the QF games. Delighted to get the win on penalties but it’s also a cruel way to lose a game so sympathy to the Thistle fans who are a credit to their team and every time we play it always seems to be a good atmosphere. On a sour note can we get McLean to f**k as he is a shite referee absolutely brutal (for both teams). 

Anyway as I posted last night best of luck to Thistle next season it’s great to see so many wishing us luck in the final, I’ve respect for anyone from Glasgow who chooses not to follow Celtic or Rangers and the Thistle fans I’ve met over the years are always a friendly bunch.  No idea how we’ll get on against St Johnstone or Ross County but it’s been an incredible season regardless.  The Championship is actually a fantastic league with some really good away days so as much as I’d love to see us go up I’ll not be devastated if we’re still here next season. 

I didn’t think we played particularly well last night but so glad to get through. The only downside was my Sky Q stopped recording half way through extra time and I couldn’t watch the penalties and celebrations again, no doubt it will be on iPlayer later on. 

25 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

I didn’t think we played particularly well last night but so glad to get through. The only downside was my Sky Q stopped recording half way through extra time and I couldn’t watch the penalties and celebrations again, no doubt it will be on iPlayer later on. 

On iplayer already

Went to Starks last night as a neutral. Scottish football at its finest, great atmosphere from both sets of fans, match played at a fast pace. Great game. 

Here is a video of the last penalty and celebrations for the Raith fans. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

Never really had many feelings either way for Partick (apart from respect for coming from Glasgow and not supporting one of the bigot brothers) but last night I thought their team and manager put in a tremendous performance, Doolans tactics were spot on to counter us and the players somehow looked fresher than us even after their tough quarter final tie.

But more than that, their supporters were absolutely first class.  Never stopped making a racket all night long, was a great sight to see them marching down Pratt street with banners etc before kick-off too and not a hint of arsehole behaviour (that I saw anyway).  A gid club.

As for the game itself- I think Thistle deserved their win over 90 last night, much like we deserved ours over 90 on Tuesday.
A draw on aggregate was fair I’d say.
As above, if I was a neutral watching the last half hour plus extra time I’d have said Raith were the team who’d had the extra games- we just looked a bit leggier.   
In terms of players, Turner was superb again, Connolly was off it again…. And Scott Brown was an absolute colossus.  What a player he is.
I was confident going to penalties with big Kev in goal compared to Mitchell…. Turns out I was right but not for the reasons I thought.

Nights like that are why we support diddy little teams like Partick and Raith.

I look forward to two more this coming week......

Tuesday night was when we fucked it. That we took the tie to penalties after such a diabolical opening hour or so is of great credit to the team. If we're in the playoffs again next season it'll be hard mentally after the previous two attempts, luckily there would 40+ games between now and then, but right now it doesn't feel great.

Good luck to Raith against St Johnstone, though I'd much rather a league with Starks than McDiarmid. They were a clear second in the division so they deserve it, but part of what makes the playoffs great is that it's not always the deserving team who win it. This year's edition so far has been an excellent advert for the Championship and I think ourselves, Raith and Airdrie call all be proud of the part they played.

Speaking of being proud, it is tough to take, not because we were 3-1 on penalties, but because of the effort put in on the night. We won more headers, and overpowered the opposition in more 50/50s than I can remember in a long time. Proud of the fans too, the atmosphere has been steadily improving and although the younger elements were getting a lot of stick from opposition fans half a decade ago, they've developed into a really good core who lead by example to the younger ones coming through. Strange that the proudest I've been to be a Jag this season has been last night and when we lost the women's final.

Of the fifteen who played last night, ten have played more games for Thistle than any other club, and I think that's part of what creates the bond between the players and the fans. I was ready to head straight home after that last penalty, but I was glad so many stayed behind for so long.

Good luck to Raith next week. Let's just win the fucking league next season so we don't have to endure this playoff despair again.

PS: Blair fucking Alston, who'd have thought.

Alston's Thistle career is going to look odd- assuming he's away- 9 starts and 6 goals. I see he's from Kirkcaldy which is presumably why he didn't really celebrate any of the 3 goals he scored across the two legs?

3 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Alston's Thistle career is going to look odd- assuming he's away- 9 starts and 6 goals. I see he's from Kirkcaldy which is presumably why he didn't really celebrate any of the 3 goals he scored across the two legs?

I think dementia is the reason he didn't celebrate. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Didn't even know he was from Kirkcaldy but unless he grew up a rovers fan I can't see why he wouldn't have celebrated.

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Didn't even know he was from Kirkcaldy but unless he grew up a rovers fan I can't see why he wouldn't have celebrated.

Yeah didn't word it very well, assuming he has some kind of emotional connection to Raith rather than a home town team thing.