Raith Rovers 🔵⚪️ [3] Vs [3] Partick Thistle 🔴🟡 [Rovers progress on penalties]

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's a loser mindset that feeds into the squad IMO.

We virtually played a play off game last night too.

I am not actually sure what the purpose of it is. He was also talking about the 3/4 playoffs vs Raith having the 11 days without a game.Lets just get on with it.

Regardless of all the chat about number of games, breaks, etc, it has always struck me as fundamentally ridiculous that the team finishing 11th gets parachuted into the playoff final.

Apart from anything else, its inconsistent with the other Scottish leagues and literally the only reason for it is to make it harder to get relegated from the Premier Division.

Its a nonsense, but obviously no Premier Division club would ever vote to change it. 

9 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Regardless of all the chat about number of games, breaks, etc, it has always struck me as fundamentally ridiculous that the team finishing 11th gets parachuted into the playoff final.

Apart from anything else, its inconsistent with the other Scottish leagues and literally the only reason for it is to make it harder to get relegated from the Premier Division.

Its a nonsense, but obviously no Premier Division club would ever vote to change it. 

I agree. Obviously we're benefitting this year (and last) from the odd set up where you can come 4th then try to hit form, but really the best way to do this would be second top in championship v second bottom in premiership.

suppose more games = more revenue from play offs, which apparently goes directly to funding the parachute payments for the relegated side(s), poor wee souls that they are.

12 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I agree. Obviously we're benefitting this year (and last) from the odd set up where you can come 4th then try to hit form, but really the best way to do this would be second top in championship v second bottom in premiership.

suppose more games = more revenue from play offs, which apparently goes directly to funding the parachute payments for the relegated side(s), poor wee souls that they are.

Did it not used to be that when it was the SPL and SFL ? Then when we became all one happy family again it was changed to the current playoff system.

Posted (edited)

Raith weren't ever that good on the night IMO they just looked more organised for the first hour. Partick were atrocious in the first half. A better and more confident manager would have changed it earlier as it was clear the shape was wrong in the first half.

Neilson needs took out of midfield. He's A CB, and if he's not played there, don't play him at all. 

I'd be inclined to move McBeth back to midfield. He's probably the best CB also but his driving runs from the middle of the park are crucial to getting up the park.

Mitchell
McMillan
Muirhead/Neilson
OReilly
Milne
Bannigan
McBeth
Ngwenya
Robinson
Fitzpatrick
Graham

Not much between both teams IMO. 

PRED: Raith 2-2 Partick.  

Whoever wins hopefully they send the PL down in the next round*

Craig Levein's meltdown being an absolute bonus*

Edited by paddymcp

18 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

Craig Levein's meltdown being an absolute bonus

There won't be a meltdown. He's barely arsed and it shows. 

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He’ll have a good wee chuckle about it on his podcast in a few months time.

3 hours ago, Beachbum said:

I am sure this has been asked many times but why is the railway stand not currently in use?

12 minutes ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

Anyone else unreasonably nervous about Dylan Corr's ability to win first contact headers against Brian Graham? Can see this being a thorn in our side tomorrow.

I'm nervous, someone hold me and tell me it'll be ok. (clothes optional).

He was absolutely fine at winning them on Tuesday. He had a great diving headed clearance which was great to see given the injury he had against Arbroath. 

Just now, K77 said:

I am sure this has been asked many times but why is the railway stand not currently in use?

The north end gets opened from time to time. We balloted our fans earlier in the season to see if United should get it, and it was opened twice. We also trialied a singing section up that end in the league cup. I don't think we'd open it on Friday. 

4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

He’ll have a good wee chuckle about it on his podcast in a few months time.

He's another 2 years on his contract and by most accounts won't be sacked even if we're relegated.

I've been fairly convinced since he joined that he's going to move to DOF this Summer so he can return to arsing about on the radio/podcasts, and then as part of the agreement when he signed we'll put Andy Kirk in as manager.

Seems like Aaron Muirhead is fine and has trained so could well start again tomorrow. Got to say I’ve quite liked the look of O’Reilly though.

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The north end gets opened from time to time. We balloted our fans earlier in the season to see if United should get it, and it was opened twice. We also trialied a singing section up that end in the league cup. I don't think we'd open it on Friday. 

Crazy to have a decent wee stand on the length of the pitch and mothball it, surely there is an appetite for a singing section in the north end? Give the south end to away support singing section and we can all stand at the seggy fence to fling coins at each other create a good atmosphere.

I get there will be operational costs to open 4 stands for all games, we use 2 stands for many games, but surely this could be managed better?

I'll be there in hope rather than expectation tomorrow, not very confident.

Posted (edited)

If Muirhead is fit then I think O'Reilly in for Neilson with McBeth moving forward into midfield and Bannigan in for Stanway seem logical changes.

Yes we went on a mad run of conceding multiple goals per game with McBeth in midfield but other than Ayr's winner in the 4-3 game I'm not sure how much of that was his fault (Stewart should probably still have saved that as well) , Neilson has been as a good as a man short in the three playoff games, and our best chance of getting through this might be a wide open game where we end up taking more chances.

McInroy will be lucky to keep his place but none of the replacement options stand out either, I don't think Fitzpatrick is as comfortable on the right.

Edited by Fuctifano

12 minutes ago, K77 said:

Crazy to have a decent wee stand on the length of the pitch and mothball it, surely there is an appetite for a singing section in the north end? Give the south end to away support singing section and we can all stand at the seggy fence to fling coins at each other create a good atmosphere.

I get there will be operational costs to open 4 stands for all games, we use 2 stands for many games, but surely this could be managed better?

I'll be there in hope rather than expectation tomorrow, not very confident.

The home end has fallen into disrepair somewhat.  Its also only been this season where we'd even need to think about using it, there's generally been about 1,500 people in the home end most weeks for years.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's a tremendous opportunity to test this by putting Mikey Stewart on pitch-side punditry to throw greggies in his direction at every opportunity.

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

The home end has fallen into disrepair somewhat.  Its also only been this season where we'd even need to think about using it, there's generally been about 1,500 people in the home end most weeks for years.

The club do seem to have plans for reopening the home end but obviously it’s a cost issue. If we do go up, I suspect it would be worth the cost for the extra capacity.

North end won’t be required tomorrow. If we get through, I wouldn’t be totally shocked if it was required for home fans for the home leg of the final.

3 hours ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

I don't think that's literally the only reason. Club 11 won't be confirmed until after their playoff opponents have already been decided. I'm not saying it's impossible to do it any other way, but it makes by far the most sense with the 12/10/10/10 system we currently have.