Clyde FC Season 24/25

Playing Hamilton at right back when Hynes is on the bench is just stupid to me. Hynes would do a job especially against opposition like today. It’s frustrating moving him in there especially when Howie is woefully out of form. 

Next week is a very tough game against a good east fife side under Campbell. We need to improve and quickly. 

46 minutes ago, Clyde_MM said:

For me, calls for anything like a sacking are still a way off but the serious questions begin if we fail to win next week.

Based on things so far I think we will be lucky to pick up a point next week

Dont know what evidence there is to show we will beat a team flying at the moment who won 4-0 away against team that beat us at home last week

As you say calls for sacking is ludicrous at this point but we need to review where we are after 9 games v expectations at start of season.

I would have been expecting us to be top 4 after the first quarter of season

Too many of them being well paid for very little return. Frightening to think of the money we are burning through.

Some of the signings seem to have been made with no real plan of how they will fit into the system, hence the constant changes and inability to get a settled side. Connelly and JA will both be on a significant wedge and yet a converted CB is looking our best option up front.

McCall has got work to do here because he’s been significantly backed. The lack of hunger and cutting edge are major red flags. Maybe not panic stations yet but massively underwhelming so far.

43 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Too many of them being well paid for very little return. Frightening to think of the money we are burning through.

Some of the signings seem to have been made with no real plan of how they will fit into the system, hence the constant changes and inability to get a settled side. Connelly and JA will both be on a significant wedge and yet a converted CB is looking our best option up front.

McCall has got work to do here because he’s been significantly backed. The lack of hunger and cutting edge are major red flags. Maybe not panic stations yet but massively underwhelming so far.

Finally someone that sees what's going on rather than blaming refs pitches etc.  Let's be honest this is absolutely ridiculous. Team of individuals rather than a team.  Jordan Allan meant to be final piece of the jigsaw.  Been absolutely dreadful shadow of the player he was last season. Looks laboured ,first touch awful. In league 2 any bit of investment should give you a massive edge. Not seen it.  Forfar we couldn't score Edinburgh put 3 past them.  Same with Stirling Fife put four past them. It's a dreadful league and having money should give you a massive advantage. Totally and utterly unacceptable up to now. Mainly down to McCall. Feel sorry for the benefactor. Let down badly. 

You can build any sort of talented squad you like but going to places like Bonnyrigg you need to win the battle first and foremost. Seems like we just imploded after the red card and let them bully us rather than rolling our sleeves up and fighting to hold the result.

3 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

We are only 4 games into a long season.

It’s definitely not looking like a lot of us thought it would be or expected at this stage, but it’s certainly not time to hit the panic button.

It is indeed but I've seen nothing in the last two games to suggest this is going to turn for the better soon. This nonsense of playing the best centre back in the league at right back isn't helping. Nor I guess could we have expected Allan to be so bad. Just as well we didn't have a tough set of fixtures to start or would be even worse I guess. 

41 minutes ago, Shawfield78 said:

It is indeed but I've seen nothing in the last two games to suggest this is going to turn for the better soon. This nonsense of playing the best centre back in the league at right back isn't helping. Nor I guess could we have expected Allan to be so bad. Just as well we didn't have a tough set of fixtures to start or would be even worse I guess. 

If McCall plays Hamilton at RB next Saturday could the media guy please ask him why in the post match interview? Would love to know his rationale for what appears a completely ludicrous decision which he seems intent on sticking with. 

15 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Based on things so far I think we will be lucky to pick up a point next week

Dont know what evidence there is to show we will beat a team flying at the moment who won 4-0 away against team that beat us at home last week

As you say calls for sacking is ludicrous at this point but we need to review where we are after 9 games v expectations at start of season.

I would have been expecting us to be top 4 after the first quarter of season

So, if things still not going well after 9, are you advocating calling for a sacking then?

It's ever been thus, the manager carries the can......IMc has been backed to the tune of better quality players, two experienced coaches and a GK coach, and he is probably on very good money given he's an experienced full time coach.

Will Mr X (if in fact he exists as portrayed to the support) stick with us with "the kind of money we have never seen" if the progress both on the park and off (relocation) continues to disappoint? The next 5 matches are going to be tough, even Edinburgh, given yesterday's result.

47 minutes ago, Right turn Clyde said:

So, if things still not going well after 9, are you advocating calling for a sacking then?

It's ever been thus, the manager carries the can......IMc has been backed to the tune of better quality players, two experienced coaches and a GK coach, and he is probably on very good money given he's an experienced full time coach.

Will Mr X (if in fact he exists as portrayed to the support) stick with us with "the kind of money we have never seen" if the progress both on the park and off (relocation) continues to disappoint? The next 5 matches are going to be tough, even Edinburgh, given yesterday's result.

What I am saying is you don’t pull the panic button after 2 poor results.  If that happened then panic buttons would be getting pressed all over the place as a Clyde fan

We played well last week against Stirling but just just couldn’t add the final touch in the last 3rd

Yesterday up until the sending off Bonnyrigg were never in it and we should have been 2 or 3 up at that point

Remember DL went something like a dozen or so games without a win before he was put on gardening leave

It might look like the next 5 games on paper will be tougher than the first 4 but that bizarrely may suit us to face teams that come out and want to play rather than play hoof ball and put 11 men behind the ball.

No doubt Mcall has been well backed but he can’t legislate for things like Logan getting sent off which totally changed the game and directly resulted in us losing yesterday

The one thing I would hold McCall responsible for is playing our best CH at right back.  Basically it weakens Hamilton and gives us little threat down the right hand side

We either need to play a back three or Play Hamilton and either Howie or McKay beside him

I am sure than Mr X, if he exists like you say, equally won’t make any snap decisions after a couple of games.  After all generally you don’t accumulate serious wealth on the back of quick knee jerk decisions

14 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

What I am saying is you don’t pull the panic button after 2 poor results.  If that happened then panic buttons would be getting pressed all over the place as a Clyde fan

We played well last week against Stirling but just just couldn’t add the final touch in the last 3rd

Yesterday up until the sending off Bonnyrigg were never in it and we should have been 2 or 3 up at that point

Remember DL went something like a dozen or so games without a win before he was put on gardening leave

It might look like the next 5 games on paper will be tougher than the first 4 but that bizarrely may suit us to face teams that come out and want to play rather than play hoof ball and put 11 men behind the ball.

No doubt Mcall has been well backed but he can’t legislate for things like Logan getting sent off which totally changed the game and directly resulted in us losing yesterday

The one thing I would hold McCall responsible for is playing our best CH at right back.  Basically it weakens Hamilton and gives us little threat down the right hand side

We either need to play a back three or Play Hamilton and either Howie or McKay beside him

I am sure than Mr X, if he exists like you say, equally won’t make any snap decisions after a couple of games.  After all generally you don’t accumulate serious wealth on the back of quick knee jerk decisions

oh god

12 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

He also said continued backing would depend on progress on and off the pitch. Still early yes but would have expected much better results to date with the money spent.  Six behind Peterhead if that goes to double figures and a good chance it will soon then the league is basically gone. ( I await a sarcastic response from Clyde 85). He expects minimum top 4 and rightly so. This start mainly down to McCall and his abomination of an experiment not helping one bit. Doesn't help that Allan has been so dire. 

On 25/08/2024 at 13:03, Shawfield78 said:

He also said continued backing would depend on progress on and off the pitch. Still early yes but would have expected much better results to date with the money spent.  Six behind Peterhead if that goes to double figures and a good chance it will soon then the league is basically gone. ( I await a sarcastic response from Clyde 85). He expects minimum top 4 and rightly so. This start mainly down to McCall and his abomination of an experiment not helping one bit. Doesn't help that Allan has been so dire. 

I still have major doubts this guy exists......(certainly in the form he has been described to the support) and how terribly convenient he appeared out of nowhere at a time the Board were under immense pressure to step aside and well, imagine him demanding total anonymity also. Just too convenient for me.

Connor Young with 3 league goals so far in his 4 games to add insult to the 'early season assessment of transfer business' injury.

There's plenty of time and plenty of talent available to sort this out. My concern is McCall's stubbornness in persisting with players or tactical approaches that aren't working. 

If we're still discussing the same issues with minimal improvement come October/November, say, then I would think serious consideration would need to be given to a change. There's been too much of an investment not to.

16 minutes ago, PTR said:

Connor Young with 3 league goals so far in his 4 games to add insult to the 'early season assessment of transfer business' injury.

Always thought there was a player in there with Young.  He started off well with us but for whatever reason seemed to fizzle out as the season went out.  Personally I would have kept him on from last year as thought he striked a ball really well.

Also notice that Sula was in the SPFL team of the week the week we played Stirling Albion.  Another I thought was a decent back up to keep.

Then again it all about  opinions.

1 hour ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Always thought there was a player in there with Young.  He started off well with us but for whatever reason seemed to fizzle out as the season went out.

It baffled me that the choice to partner Allan was Rennie and not Connor Young, I always thought Young offered much more.

Never saw much in Young and his performance mid week against Forfar last season was awful, along with most others in a Clyde strip tbf that night, but generally he was lacking in any composer and simply not good enough. 
However, what it might show is that playing your CF consistently will probably result in a couple of goals.

McCall has to stop chopping and changing his CF every single week. For me, despite his form I’d start Allan every week for next 3-4 games no matter what, he needs to play back into some kind of form and there only one way to do that.  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

For me, despite his form I’d start Allan every week for next 3-4 games no matter what, he needs to play back into some kind of form and there only one way to do that.  

This is the thing though, how long do you persist? Another 3 or 4 games with no goals from him and we could potentially be miles off it. To be fair to McCall, he started Allan in the first three league games to absolutely no avail, and you could see the thinking behind staring Dunachie ahead of him in the Bonnyrigg game. When he was introduced on Saturday we really needed him to make his mark but he barely got near the ball.

Obviously this weekend McCall's hand is forced to some degree and it's very likely Allan will start but heading to Methil to play a Dick Campbell side who have won their last three league games is no easy task. We're very early in the season but I'd say that the coming Saturday is a huge game for Jordan Allan and Clyde as a whole - fingers crossed he can deliver!

Edited by Brian Carrigan

3 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Always thought there was a player in there with Young.  He started off well with us but for whatever reason seemed to fizzle out as the season went out.  Personally I would have kept him on from last year as thought he striked a ball really well.

Also notice that Sula was in the SPFL team of the week the week we played Stirling Albion.  Another I thought was a decent back up to keep.

Then again it all about  opinions.

"struck" a ball

If we're sticking with the 4231 on Saturday then I'd go Kinnear, Hynes, Hamilton, McKay, Robson, Grant, Murdoch, Redfern, Connell, Connelly, Allan.

Doesn't sort the chopping and changing but Hamilton is wasted at right back and Howie looked all over the shop in the second half on Saturday.

Dunachie is banned and we're playing a decent side on a surface more conducive to football so Allan coming in is a bit of a no-brainer. With any luck, he breaks this drought and he's up and running.

The wings are the only position where I'm not sure. Think Redfern has earned a start after the last couple weeks. Him and Kinnear were the only two I'd give passmarks in the second half on Saturday. Leaves LS7 and Connelly battling for the LW spot. Both were useless in the second half but I though Connelly looked really dangerous in the first half and,  importantly, connected well with Robson so I'd give him the nod.