Clyde FC Season 24/25

I'm not sure what Glencairn would make of the idea but scape together some bawbees for a 4G and various other improvements and they might just welcome Clyde doing a Clydebank and upgrading an existing club's stadium with a view to sharing. The Hamish B Allan isn't the worst stadium I've been to and already has a shed there:

rg28.thumb.jpg.c146007bc4fb6668512b8741c06399d5.jpg

47 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I'm not sure what Glencairn would make of the idea but scape together some bawbees for a 4G and various other improvements and they might just welcome Clyde doing a Clydebank and upgrading an existing club's stadium with a view to sharing. The Hamish B Allan isn't the worst stadium I've been to and already has a shed there:

rg28.thumb.jpg.c146007bc4fb6668512b8741c06399d5.jpg

They already tried that and got chased.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Darren Young would be a solid enough appointment for you and has a track record at this level with us and Albion Rovers.

However one of the things that became apparent as a weakness of his was getting the best out of talented players.

Last season when we got relegated we had Ewan Wilson (Motherwell) and Rudi Molotnikov (Hibs) on loan. Both players who this season are first team regulars in PL and playing for Scotland Under 21s. We terminated Wilsons loan early and Molotnikov had about two starts. To have two talented players like that and not use them was criminal.

He had also completely lost the dressing room and players. There was a huge confidence issue last season and he failed to address it at all in about six months. We had multiple chances and games to get out of trouble and fuxked them all without a fight. He really struggled to motivate and galvanise a losing team.

With the right group of players, he can do a very good job at this level but I'm not massively convinced he has a plan b when things start to go pear shaped or motivating a team.

Really nice guy though, the players will love him and respect him. Perhaps being too nice is one of his downfalls.

46 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They already tried that and got chased.

Fair enough. 

Glasgow City FC are always making noises about getting a ground of their own. Far be it for me to suggest that Glasgow City are full of shit but a joint venture is always possible... 

7 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Darren Young would be a solid enough appointment for you and has a track record at this level with us and Albion Rovers.

However one of the things that became apparent as a weakness of his was getting the best out of talented players.

Last season when we got relegated we had Ewan Wilson (Motherwell) and Rudi Molotnikov (Hibs) on loan. Both players who this season are first team regulars in PL and playing for Scotland Under 21s. We terminated Wilsons loan early and Molotnikov had about two starts. To have two talented players like that and not use them was criminal.

He had also completely lost the dressing room and players. There was a huge confidence issue last season and he failed to address it at all in about six months. We had multiple chances and games to get out of trouble and fuxked them all without a fight. He really struggled to motivate and galvanise a losing team.

With the right group of players, he can do a very good job at this level but I'm not massively convinced he has a plan b when things start to go pear shaped or motivating a team.

Really nice guy though, the players will love him and respect him. Perhaps being too nice is one of his downfalls.

Is there not a bit if contradiction there, how can he have lost the dressing room if players love and respect him. 

For me, Darren Young is the obvious candidate and if I was on the Clyde board then I would be going all out to get him, a good manager at this level, and although you'll not be playing a sexy style of football, he'll have you winning games again I'm sure. When he left East Fife, he was who I wanted at Forthbank and I was delighted with the way he handled himself in the main. He did make mistakes in his last season which eventually cost him his job, you're not getting an established manager at this level who has not made mistakes, and I'm sure as Clyde fans, you would take the first 2 years that he gave us.

@Quentin Taranbino states that he had lost the dressing room, I wouldn't agree with that, in fact I believe that wasn't true. Other issues were going onside the dressing room that the players weren't happy about, but that didn't land at Darren's door. What I think he was, was over loyal to players even when they were low in confidence or not producing on the park, so much so that by the end of the League 1 campaign, there were too many players who, it just wasn't happening for them. Darren would pick them in the hope that they could find that spark again and feared it would kill even more confidence if he dropped them and it just didn't happen for him. He re-signed players who won League 2 for us that were just not good enough or had the legs to make the jump to League 1, because they got us there....and failed to give opportunities to players that looked like they deserved a chance, no matter how effective they were when they came off the bench, he would continually go with the tried and tested. I'm sure on reflection, Darren has a lot of regrets about his last season at Forthbank, but he'll have learned from that.

I stand by the view that there is no sure fire successful way to appoint a manager, but of those available and likely interested, Darren would be an excellent appointment and would definitely have you at the other end of the league with the players you have.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is there not a bit if contradiction there, how can he have lost the dressing room if players love and respect him. 

There is aye, sorry. Was poorly worded.

Nice guy so players all like him and want to do well for him. However lost dressing room in terms of not making the tough calls, firing rockets at those not performing, changing things so players were lost and lost faith.

Losing respect for him was probably the wrong turn of phrase. Lost confidence in him and themselves is more accurate.

Edited by Quentin Taranbino

Some of the Darren Young reviews are giving me Danny Lennon vibes. Things went tits up towards the end of Danny's time with the club but he was here for ages and led the club during the only enjoyable spell for pushing two decades now.

The board has spoken about trying to build the club back up. With the overspend and appointment of McCall, I think we've tried to run before we can walk. I think someone who knows what they're doing at the level we're currently would be the right way to go.

38 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

There is aye, sorry. Was poorly worded.

Nice guy so players all like him and want to do well for him. However lost dressing room in terms of not making the tough calls, firing rockets at those not performing, changing things so players were lost and lost faith.

Losing respect for him was probably the wrong turn of phrase. Lost confidence in him and themselves is more accurate.

Your entire squad was raging with the sacking and most of them left sharply after Young. 

54 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Your entire squad was raging with the sacking and most of them left sharply after Young. 

More than the squad moved on. Budget was reduced. Probably wouldn’t happen at any other club in Scottish football.

DY/SAFC attracted good loanees speaks volumes.

1 hour ago, Clyde_MM said:

Some of the Darren Young reviews are giving me Danny Lennon vibes. Things went tits up towards the end of Danny's time with the club but he was here for ages and led the club during the only enjoyable spell for pushing two decades now.

The board has spoken about trying to build the club back up. With the overspend and appointment of McCall, I think we've tried to run before we can walk. I think someone who knows what they're doing at the level we're currently would be the right way to go.

Someone who knows what they are doing at Board level would be handy too. If everything being said is true, the entire Board should resign.

16 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Jack Ross is absolute pie in the sky stuff. Ian Murray not much better. Waiting on Steven Naismith being suggested next because he played with Killie and so did Craig Bryson.

We haven’t been a force in Scottish football since the 50s and need to tailor our expectations to match.

We are a part-time, homeless club who are 9th in league 2, have a 5 or 6 figure overspend this season and a boardroom that seem to dish out zero hour monthly rolling contracts to directors akin to Sports Direct.

Actually, Jack Ross must be half way up the A1 from Newcastle as we speak…

That's a bit harsh, you finished third in the First Division in 1967, and spent most of the 60s and early 70s in the top flight, reaching League Cup and Scottish Cup semi finals along the way.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

That’s not quite accurate. There was an administrative vacuum after the sacking and no new contracts were on offer for some time. A number of players who had not been offered a new contract exercised their option to look for and sign for clubs who would offer them contracts. A few waited to see if the club would offer new terms, some of them signed,, some left. A number of those who left didn’t fancy L2 football or L2 wages.

While some of those who left may have been upset at the manager’s departure, their own decisions to stay or go would have been made out of self interest not the result of the manager’s departure.

I feel like there's a lot more nuance to Darren Young's departure from Stirling than the presented 'He's too loyal' or 'He lost the dressing room'. Stirling, much like Clyde to some degree, seemed to be an absolute bin fire and the relegation, Young leaving and the squad moving on are just symptoms of a much deeper problem. He didn't all of a sudden become a bad manager, and you'd hope that he's learned from the mistakes he did make.

On the face of it (and I feel like I've said this a lot over the past few years) the Clyde job is a great opportunity for the correct candidate. Whether this is Darren Young, Mark Kerr, Jack Ross, Thomas Tuchel or A.N. Other remains to be seen but with any luck the board realises what's required and does the right thing.

2 hours ago, Dumb yatt said:

More than the squad moved on. Budget was reduced. Probably wouldn’t happen at any other club in Scottish football.

DY/SAFC attracted good loanees speaks volumes.

I think the budget was reduced at East Fife after he left there as well.

1 hour ago, AlbionMan said:

That’s not quite accurate. There was an administrative vacuum after the sacking and no new contracts were on offer for some time. A number of players who had not been offered a new contract exercised their option to look for and sign for clubs who would offer them contracts. A few waited to see if the club would offer new terms, some of them signed,, some left. A number of those who left didn’t fancy L2 football or L2 wages.

While some of those who left may have been upset at the manager’s departure, their own decisions to stay or go would have been made out of self interest not the result of the manager’s departure.

Administrative vacuum or not, the players weren't happy he was sacked. Young hadn't lost the dressing room and I thought that was apparent when we played you in the play offs.