Next debutant in Europe?

I’m not a big fan of the fact that they’ve removed the European place for a beaten Scottish cup finalist in the case that the winning side already qualified. Objectively it’s the best thing for our coefficient because it means that in the vast, vast majority of cases the best 5 clubs in Scotland get into Europe. But it’s just less fun that fluky cup final runs no longer result in a trip to outer Kazakhstan.

My own team benefitted from this rule in 2009 before it was scrapped.

I think it should be brought back. I wouldn’t bring back a league cup slot though. The league cup is a glorified friendly tournament these days.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Glasgow has two European Cup semi-finalists too though? Rangers did it in 1959/60 and Celtic four times (obviously in 1966/67 but also in 1969/70, 1971/72 and 1973/74).

Obviously I've misremembered the fact. Would have been a surprise if Rangers had never done it, I suppose.

I remember Dundee was the one people tended to forget, or Belgrade when you extended it to the whole continent. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I notice Austria split into a top and bottom six after 22 games, then you play home and away against the teams in your half.

Curiously, their last European spot is decided by a play-off between the top two in the bottom six and the 5th place team. The team finishing bottom of the top six gets BFH. Can finish 8th and sneak into Europe with a run of form at the right time.

Also means no one in the bottom six will be downing tools.

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2024 at 21:12, tamthebam said:

1 Scottish City has had two European Cup semi-finalists 

The home of Scottish football, Glasgow? 

No, it's that oft ignored by Scottish football journalists city, Dundee. And they should have had a finalist if it wasn't for cheating. 

Finalists.  Both semi-final referees were bribed.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

7 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Obviously I've misremembered the fact. Would have been a surprise if Rangers had never done it, I suppose.

I remember Dundee was the one people tended to forget, or Belgrade when you extended it to the whole continent. 

Hibs are the only Edinburgh side to reach any European Semi Final.  Twice.

European Cup (1955–56) and the Fairs Cup (1960–61). 

On 20/05/2024 at 07:12, kingjoey said:

These are remarkable stats for a club whose fans feel have always been the third force in Scottish football. Maybe they haven't been, after all.

This self-proclaimed 'third-biggest club' have never even been in a semi-final, unlike NINE other clubs.

11 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I notice Austria split into a top and bottom six after 22 games, then you play home and away against the teams in your half.

Curiously, their last European spot is decided by a play-off between the top two in the bottom six and the 5th place team. The team finishing bottom of the top six gets BFH. Can finish 8th and sneak into Europe with a run of form at the right time.

This is the exact same format the SWPL uses, but I think a split at 22 games is far too early.

There are a few places which use the format you've described for European places, but I'm baffled that so many leagues accept a situation where the bottom team of the top part ends up with a worse outcome than the top team of the bottom part of a split.

12 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

It feels like just before the split, depending on points tallies at the time and how far ahead 4th was, that there could end up being a race to end up in the bottom six. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This is the exact same format the SWPL uses, but I think a split at 22 games is far too early.

There are a few places which use the format you've described for European places, but I'm baffled that so many leagues accept a situation where the bottom team of the top part ends up with a worse outcome than the top team of the bottom part of a split.

Aye I think it could be worth experimenting with but something like 5th vs 8th playing the winner of 6th vs 7th would be a bit fairer.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

On 19/05/2024 at 17:48, BFTD said:

Here's the existing overall record, according to Wiki, which might help. By my calculations, there should be 23 clubs there if you include Clyde, as they've amalgamated two clumpanies into one.

If we're not counting Airdrieoneans v2 as another club, the most likely answer is probably one of the clubs that are new to the SPFL, or whoever finds a sugar daddy. Nobody's getting a brief European fling for winning the League Cup/losing the Scottish Cup final to Celtgers anymore. We may well not see another European debutante in our lifetimes.

image.png.517d39a6ea6cc281b1b74e2e0f1e6e29.png

Edit: 24 if Jacksgranda's right about Third Lanark.

Why are Airdrie, Gretna and Hearts in magenta when all other teams are in blue? I know that Airdrie and Gretna have since been liquidated but Hearts haven't and Rangers have. Any suggestions?

3 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Why are Airdrie, Gretna and Hearts in magenta when all other teams are in blue? I know that Airdrie and Gretna have since been liquidated but Hearts haven't and Rangers have. Any suggestions?

Just means you have clicked on those teams/links I think?

19 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I agree it's a bad idea, but I can only imagine it's compensation for the very early split shutting off the chance of a run at Europe via the league season.

Not for me, Clive.

Our split is better. Get it up them.

On 20/05/2024 at 07:09, Highlandmagar said:

My money is on Ayr United. New stand, Broony as boss, big signings already. 

Ayr juggernaut coming through.

They tried most of that under Barr - worked out well. 

Well except the new stand but doubt a few hundred extra seats on a terracing is going to catapult them to European football. 

On 20/05/2024 at 07:17, Highlandmagar said:

Lol.

1970. Kilmarnock 2 Coleraine 3. Agg. 3-4. After being 2-0 up.

2019. Kilmarnock 0 Connah's Quay Nomads 2. Agg. 2-3.

Embarrassing Scottish football. 

Same club that got to the Semi Final of European competition? Same team that drew with Real Madrid at RP in the European Cup? Same team that overturned a 4 goal deficit against Eintracht Frankfurt?

Partick Thistle could only dream of being that embarrassing.

It's cute how much you hate us though as you're a complete irrelevance to any Killie fan i know. 

That said, i do enjoy you fucking up promotion every season. Last year was my fave one yet.