Ross County [6] : [1] Raith Rovers

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I also wondered why Ian Murray didn't start Easton - they looked better after he was brought on.

Watching the play off semi final 2nd leg v Partick I thought the very same. Easton looked a decent player and certainly made Raith a better team once he came on. Strange he did or does not start. But I am sure there is a reason for it 🤷‍♂️

At least the goal means we can go up there with a chance.  Just a pity we decided to wait till about 15 minutes to go till we finally started to get the ball down and actually play football.  No issue with starting with Hamilton, but just spending the majority of the game just shelling the ball upto him was utterly pointless.

It was a step up in opposition and you could see some of our players struggled to get upto speed a bit.  Even just little things like Vaughan got the ball at one point in the second half and did what he's done all season, rolls his foot over the ball and then goes to make his move.  In the Championship when he does that defenders back off him and he takes advantage.  He did it tonight as soon as he did it the defender didn't back off him and instead immediately challenged him and won the ball.

Hopefully they'll take a bit of confidence from the last 15 minutes and we'll have a go on Sunday.  Would really prefer the 3 hour drive home to be happy one.

Just now, welldaft said:

Watching the play off semi final 2nd leg v Partick I thought the very same. Easton looked a decent player and certainly made Raith a better team once he came on. Strange he did or does not start. But I am sure there is a reason for it 🤷‍♂️

Fairly sure he has a back injury at the moment. 

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

He's been struggling with a back injury so hasn't played as much recently.  I think he's been suffering from it since about Christmas.  

1 hour ago, foreverarover said:

June to December 2023 income up 600k including 100k rise In Food and hospitality. I can only pass on what has been published. 

I recall the club issuing the above and other figures but it wasn't a complete financial statement. Will be interesting to see what impact these have on the next set of accounts.

Genuinely thought we were really decent for half an hour of that second half. We then switch off completely - I have no idea why Dhanda is even out in left back in the first place for the goal. Goals like that are the exact reason we are where we are; a decent ball from Byrne but the gap between Dhanda and the rest of our back line was so big. Leak also has to squeeze up quicker than he does too.

Sure I’d love to be sitting here with a 2 goal advantage, but I do think we’ll score on Sunday meaning they’ll need 2 which is a big task. 

Posted (edited)

Frustrating night. When it started it looked like we’d be blown away. At 2-0 down I thought it was over. But that goal gives us hope. They are the better team but if we play football then we cause them problems. Absolutely nothing to lose on Sunday. Go up there and take the game to them. If we go a goal down then just go full Murrayball and enjoy it. It’s been a great ride. 

On the food thing, don’t know the figures but hard to stress just how much the catering has improved under the new board. Before it was absolutely garbage with cheap nasty pies and even cheaper burgers. Most never went near it. Now it’s Stuart’s pies, Bridies, hot dogs, popcorn for kids and the joy that is the Rover’s Empire biscuit. The queues are ridiculous. Think we also get to keep the takings now rather than the provider taking the lions share.. 500% sounds low tbh. 

Edited by FitbaSupporter

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

On the food thing, don’t know the figures but hard to stress just how much the catering has improved under the new board. Before it was absolutely garbage with cheap nasty pies and even cheaper burgers. Most never went near it. Now it’s Stephen’s pies, Bridies, hot dogs, popcorn for kids and the joy that is the Rover’s Empire biscuit. The queues are ridiculous. Think we also get to keep the takings now rather than the provider taking the lions share.. 500% sounds low tbh. 

Is it f**k!

Edited by pantene proV

County should have come away with a two goal cushion at the very least: they were so comfortable for ~85% of that game.  But they didn't and Rovers still have a chance. 

There was quite a noticeable gap in quality but Raith looked decent when they tried to move the ball around rather than launching it. However it was obvious that County finished well behind the team in 9th: if they stay up then a lot of work is required over the summer.

Dhanda waltzed through the game; it's the little passes and the way we finds space so effortlessly. Brown and Harmon both put in good shifts. And Nightingale strolled it, heading away every ball like Andrew Davies. 

I'm reasonably confident that County will, if they put in the same performance, win the next game even if I do think Rovers will score. But when's the last time this team put together two good performances back-to-back?

I like Hamilton but when he plays we just seem to lump the ball forward to him which doesn't suit us at all. County deserved their 2 goal lead although the 2nd goal was piss poor defending from us at the corner. Could have escaped with a draw but from good chances missed from Corr and Mullen. At least we are still in it.

No complaints there.  County are miles above anyone we've faced in the Championship this season, especially in terms of physicality.  Can understand why Murray went with Hamilton,  but it's clear that we can't really go down that route in this tie.  

Was happy to take a one goal defeat, would have done so before the game and certainly would have done so after the first 20 minutes.

Crowd was flat, but it has been all season.  Our core home support has been around 1.5k for as long as I can remember now, most people going to Rovers games this season are people who hadn't typically been coming to much games in the past.

Thought that was, inevitable late goal side, remarkably professional by County.   By f**k are we going to miss Yan Dhanda though.  A fabulous player to watch.  

Raith’s goal might mean a bit more space on Sunday, and I might start Sims or Brophy over White.  Still feel the Raith keeper looks ropey and Baldwin’s goal did nothing to convince me otherwise.  

TLDR: get the ball to Dhanda and f**k the Killie haters.  

The game last night was a microcosm of our season in a game. Some of our play in and around the box was genuinely fantastic, but then we'd misplace a pass and put it out for a throw. Really lacking a cutting edge at times. Absolutely terrified that the late goal is going to cost us but we seem to know how to grind out results at home. I won't be at the game on Sunday, so won't get the pleasure of seeing Dhanda in the flesh in a County shirt again but it's been a pleasure. A real shame we've managed to lose him on a free