Ross County [6] : [1] Raith Rovers

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

It just shows the problem Championship sides face in the playoffs, and why the success rate is so low.

It’s a 33% success rate, which doesn’t seem unreasonable when it boils down to a lower league team trying to beat a higher league team.

56 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It’s obviously not impossible for the Championship team to get promoted, it’s just quite difficult as the Premiership team is usually miles better than anything they’ve played in the league and they seem to get a bit shellshocked by it.

They just need to have an exceptional team. Raith Rovers aren't exceptional.

"My teams one of the only clubs of a certain size who never reach the top flight and ITS NOT FAIR"

30 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nope. I would be cringing if St Mirren fans went to a perfectly nice wee place like Dingwall and started a minter song like that too.

Maybe AC Monaco fans or someone could get away with it, should they somehow find themselves playing County.

We were singing "in your Monaco slums" to them on one of our many, many European sojourns.

I’m amazed anyone is surprised that a team who struggled to blow away even the shittest teams in the championship came up well short against a team that recently beat Rangers.

"It's impossible for small Championships sides to beat big, rich Premier League ones"

image.png.f5178339f451d11255b93a2d4301feba.png

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, MarkPockets said:

English Premier League has had the 3 that went up last season go straight back down & the 3 they replaced, 1 winning the title and a canter and the other 2 are competing in the playoff final right now.

If we expand the top flight (I don't think we should) it would be in danger of becoming the same due to the lack of competition there would be in the division below. I feel like a lot of people just think expanding the top flight would solve all the problems in Scottish Football when it would bring a whole miriad of issues on its own. 

Before any reconstruction is done at the top end, I think it needs to be done at the trapdoor first

I remember the old 18 team top flight, and almost inevitably one of the promoted sides got relegated the following season and one of the relegated duo came straight back up.

1963/64  relegated - East Stirlingshire    promoted - Clyde 

1964/65  none (although Stirling Albion had gone down in 1961/62 were promoted)

1965/66  relegated - Hamilton (and Morton, who had come up in 1963/64)  promoted - Airdrie 

1966/67  relegated - Ayr United    promoted - Morton -

1967/68  none (Stirling Albion had come up in 1964/65)  promoted - St Mirren

1968/69  relegated - Arbroath   promoted - Motherwell

1969/70  none (Raith Rovers had come up in 1966/67)    promoted - Falkirk

1970/71  relegated Cowdenbeath   promoted - Partick Thistle

1971/72  none

1972/73  relegated - none   promoted - Clyde & Dunfermline

1973/74 relegated - none (East Fife promoted in 1970/71)  promoted - Kilmarnock & Airdrie

1974/75 leagues reorganised

Edited by Jacksgranda

22 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Yes It's a total mystery why all of a sudden top flight regulars like Morton, Airdrie, Raith, Ayr etc stopped being able to get promoted in the 80s and 90s. 🤔

I wondered if they ever were ‘top flight regulars’ so had a check back. I may be out a season or two, but here’s the number of seasons spent in the premier league since it began in 1975-76:- 

Partick Th      17

Dunfermline 15

ICT                  12

Hamilton Ac  11

Ross County 11

Livingston      11

Falkirk             11

Morton            7

Clydebank     3

Raith Rovers  3

Airdrie             3

Ayr United      3

Dumbarton    1

Gretna             1

I imagine it feels less of a variety over the past 10 years because of the number of traditional premier league clubs that have been relegated and won the championship over the past 10 years: Rangers, Hearts (twice), Hibs, Dundee United (twice). 

This was much rarer in previous decades, but is surely a good thing for our league? In the past 10 seasons there can only have been a couple of championship seasons where there wasn’t at least one of the big 6 clubs in the league.  Although I imagine it’s worse for the championship clubs battling for promotion.

Compare that to England or abroad where I bet it hardly ever happens.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

I wondered if they ever were ‘top flight regulars’ so had a check back. I may be out a season or two, but here’s the number of seasons spent in the premier league since it began in 1975-76:- 

Partick Th      17

Dunfermline 15

ICT                  12

Hamilton Ac  11

Ross County 11

Livingston      11

Falkirk             11

Morton            7

Clydebank     3

Raith Rovers  3

Airdrie             3

Ayr United      3

Dumbarton    1

Gretna             1

I imagine it feels less of a variety over the past 10 years because of the number of traditional premier league clubs that have been relegated and won the championship over the past 10 years: Rangers, Hearts (twice), Hibs, Dundee United (twice). 

This was much rarer in previous decades, but is surely a good thing for our league? In the past 10 seasons there can only have been a couple of championship seasons where there wasn’t at least one of the big 6 clubs in the league.  Although I imagine it’s worse for the championship clubs battling for promotion.

It's pish, bet he's one the "real footballing town" mouthbreathers.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Partick Th      17

Dunfermline 15

ICT                  12

Hamilton Ac  11

Ross County 11

Livingston      11

Falkirk             11

Morton            7

Clydebank     3

Raith Rovers  3

Airdrie             3

Ayr United      3

Dumbarton    1

Gretna             1

Rangers weren’t relegated. They died and their zombie re-incarnation was fast-tracked straight into the Scottish league system faster than Sunak called a general election.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Biggest barrier to promotion seems to be the UEFA solitary payments being paid to relegated clubs, I don't think it was long ago that was 250k but it's now up to a million. It's not a complete stop on promotion, but relegated clubs are getting promoted at first time of asking more than desirable.

Aye, that along with the parachute payments give a massive advantage to the relegated club coming straight back up. 

Edit - I want to say that 6 of the last 7 Scottish Championship winners have been receiving parachute payments? That's a bit shit IMO. 

Edited by HoBNob

Well that went well.

Thought we were doing well first half and was feeling hopeful for the second half.  That hope didn’t last long, as soon as the 2nd goal went in the game was done.  Ross County pretty much cruised it after that.  Wasn’t surprised by the extra goals, knew Murray would need to go full Murrayball and figured County would take advantage of that.

Thursday and today really showed that even if we had made it up, it would have needed a massive rebuild of the team to be able to compete.  County might have finished 11th but their players are a step above ours, their physicality, speed, better on the ball, all the rest. 

On the plus side, the Championship should be some league next season.  If we can strengthen in the right places, defence, then no reason why we can’t make another run at it next season.  Sure plenty of other teams will be saving the exact same thing about themselves though.

Some bloody trek to and from Dingwall though, still got another hour to go after taking a wee break.

11 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Aye, that along with the parachute payments give a massive advantage to the relegated club coming straight back up. 

Edit - I want to say that 6 of the last 7 Scottish Championship winners have been receiving parachute payments? That's a bit shit IMO. 

Parachute payments are nothing, pie sales are where the real money is.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Aye this is just nonsense.

Maybe the teams you’d like to see promoted just aren’t good enough?

Do folk that think this way also feel the championship should have two automatic relegation places down to league one?

Yes. If you’ve been shite enough to finish second bottom in the league you shouldn’t get a reprieve. Either make it 3rd v 4th plays 2nd to go up. Or just a straight shoot-out between 2nd and 3rd. As a Championship team it’s pretty shite playing the same teams 4 times each season and quite often only 2 of the 10 clubs changing each season.

The gap between the first and second tiers is bigger than anywhere else in the pyramid because there’s a massive jump in prize money + UEFA payments + clubs bending over for Old Firm ticket sales. Then there’s the parachute payments - in the last 4 seasons the relegated team has gone straight back up.

If you like the play-offs the way they are then fair enough but citing the gap as a defence of it - while ignoring the reasons why there is such a big gap - is a bit embarrassing.

Edited by eez-eh

Not even the biggest team in Fife, let alone premier league standard, fkin grounds an absolute hole of a place as well, if you can't pump the 2nd bottom team over 2 legs your not good enough, Dundee Utd are shite and they won that league, if we had come down we'd have won the championship by at least 15 points just like last time

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Parachute payments are nothing, pie sales are where the real money is.

Pie-rachute payments then??