The Annan Athletic thread

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm guessing, much like @annan4evaand @the philosopher, Wullie has just decided Saturday never happened and isn't bothering with a post-match interview? 

You’re correct surprised about no interview from Wullie TBH. Two big mistakes by Annan for the goals, and the fact Annan created next to no chances deserved nothing from the game IMO. Onwards.

On 20/08/2024 at 21:35, Terry_Tibbs said:

Wullie Gibson, Russell Brown, Nicholson family, TN Trawlers, your boys took a hell of a beating!

Pretty sure Annan resident and former MP Russell Brown was a Queens fan when Annan were flapping about in the Lowland or South of Scotland Leagues,  now they're further up the pyramid he's defected and got himself a Chairmanship., typical politician's behaviour.

27 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Pretty sure Annan resident and former MP Russell Brown was a Queens fan when Annan were flapping about in the Lowland or South of Scotland Leagues,  now they're further up the pyramid he's defected and got himself a Chairmanship., typical politician's behaviour.

Why would you not support your home town team and want to see them progress ?

Everyone in the area has/ had a soft spot for Queens when they were the only "League" team in  the area as well as their allegiances to hometown teams like Mids,Threave,Star etc.

Just now, the philosopher said:

Why would you not support your home town team and want to see them progress ?

Everyone in the area has/ had a soft spot for Queens when they were the only "League" team in  the area as well as their allegiances to hometown teams like Mids,Threave,Star etc.

100% correct most of us from Annan went to Palmerston as young lads. Some of them are not happy unless they’ve got some aggression to vent/ have a dig at all costs.

5 hours ago, annan4eva said:

You’re correct surprised about no interview from Wullie TBH. Two big mistakes by Annan for the goals, and the fact Annan created next to no chances deserved nothing from the game IMO. Onwards.

Queens appeared dominant early on but factually our keeper only had 1 other save to make when I think it was Walker was clean through on goal.

Tommy Goss had a 1st half header saved  then Josh Dixon clean through had his shot saved excellently before we hit the cross bar.

Fine margins

It was their day,onwards we go.

41 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Russell Brown is an Annan man. The opportunity came about for him to join the Annan Athletic committee then chairman. 
He can support whatever team he wants to support. 

13 hours ago, annan4eva said:

I'm not sure you can class Douglas winning his header being a big mistake on Annan's part. Of course you can but then every single goal in football could be regarded as a mistake. 

Gibson stupidly had a shot that was never going to go in and we won back possession but the QoS boys certainly had a lot to do from there. It was a great break and finish rather than Annan gifting a goal. 

8 hours ago, annan4eva said:

100% correct most of us from Annan went to Palmerston as young lads. Some of them are not happy unless they’ve got some aggression to vent/ have a dig at all costs.

It's a case of don't dish it out if you can't take it, I'd say. There's nowhere near as much aggression from QoS posters towards Annan posters as there is in any other Derby in this forum. 

8 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Queens appeared dominant early on but factually our keeper only had 1 other save to make when I think it was Walker was clean through on goal.

Tommy Goss had a 1st half header saved  then Josh Dixon clean through had his shot saved excellently before we hit the cross bar.

Fine margins

It was their day,onwards we go.

If you want to simplify it yeah. I think QoS were comfortable winners though. Certainly far more comfortable than any of the victories last season. 

8 hours ago, marco44 said:

Russell Brown is an Annan man. The opportunity came about for him to join the Annan Athletic committee then chairman. 
He can support whatever team he wants to support. 

For now. 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not sure you can class Douglas winning his header being a big mistake on Annan's part. Of course you can but then every single goal in football could be regarded as a mistake. 

Gibson stupidly had a shot that was never going to go in and we won back possession but the QoS boys certainly had a lot to do from there. It was a great break and finish rather than Annan gifting a goal. 

It's a case of don't dish it out if you can't take it, I'd say. There's nowhere near as much aggression from QoS posters towards Annan posters as there is in any other Derby in this forum. 

If you want to simplify it yeah. I think QoS were comfortable winners though. Certainly far more comfortable than any of the victories last season. 

For now. 

Your answer 1. I can only think of one poster who has a go at queens really ?

2 Queens only comfortable after the second ?

3 not sure what you mean.

anyway good luck tomorrow night, ill be watching if on TV.

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Your answer 1. I can only think of one poster who has a go at queens really ?

2 Queens only comfortable after the second ?

3 not sure what you mean.

anyway good luck tomorrow night, ill be watching if on TV.

1. It's about the same number of QoS posters that have a serious go at Annan then. If you recall, almost all of us wanted Annan to stay up last season. 

2. I thought we were relatively comfortable throughout in all honesty. The only fear of conceding was that we'd do our usual and f**k up for a goal. But that's scarring from the past few years that our defence will do that. So far there's been nothing to suggest this defence will gift goals as often as previous defences have. I thought Annan's only threat was balls into the box for Goss. Other than one chance he was well marked. When you consider he should have had 5 goals in one of the games last season I think it's fair to say our defence had him handled. 

3. Perhaps not common knowledge just yet then and it's not my place to say. If things don't change down there you'll soon find out what I'm meaning. 

Cheers. Be happy with a point at this stage. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

1. It's about the same number of QoS posters that have a serious go at Annan then. If you recall, almost all of us wanted Annan to stay up last season. 

2. I thought we were relatively comfortable throughout in all honesty. The only fear of conceding was that we'd do our usual and f**k up for a goal. But that's scarring from the past few years that our defence will do that. So far there's been nothing to suggest this defence will gift goals as often as previous defences have. I thought Annan's only threat was balls into the box for Goss. Other than one chance he was well marked. When you consider he should have had 5 goals in one of the games last season I think it's fair to say our defence had him handled. 

3. Perhaps not common knowledge just yet then and it's not my place to say. If things don't change down there you'll soon find out what I'm meaning. 

Cheers. Be happy with a point at this stage. 

Im hardly in any loop but not heard any rumours. No secret that change at board/ committee level is badly needed at Annan. When you ask a Gretna supporter the reason the change of results etc, the answer is a simple ( there are better people running the club).

45 minutes ago, marco44 said:

Better late than never. 

Cheers. Pretty incredible he's had until Thursday to calm down and he comes out with such deluded nonsense: deserved a point, ffs :lol:

Good to hear Hooper almost back to fitness though. Remarkable he's going to be playing again tbh. 

Edited by 19QOS19

• 2 weeks later...

Three poor results on the bounce. Not having any Centre backs doesn't help. Tam Muir was a striker, Kilsby a left back and even Hooper when he's fit was a right back. Our recruitment this preseason has been strange to say the least. 

5 hours ago, JimThorburn said:

Three poor results on the bounce. Not having any Centre backs doesn't help. Tam Muir was a striker, Kilsby a left back and even Hooper when he's fit was a right back. Our recruitment this preseason has been strange to say the least. 

Wullie's Warchest Wasted?

Losing Matty Douglas and not replacing him with a proper CB is starting to look like a serious oopsy from wullie. Before the window opened I would have said we were weakest in our defence and it's the one area that's had the least attention paid. Time will tell but hopefully it won't come to bite us too much over the season.

On 01/09/2024 at 07:54, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Wullie's Warchest Wasted?

On 01/09/2024 at 12:13, annanbear said:

Losing Matty Douglas and not replacing him with a proper CB is starting to look like a serious oopsy from wullie. Before the window opened I would have said we were weakest in our defence and it's the one area that's had the least attention paid. Time will tell but hopefully it won't come to bite us too much over the season.

Not only Matty Douglas. Stevie Swinglehurst also left. Tam Muir and Kilsby are a decent partnership but any sort of injury and we're in trouble. Maybe Gibson see's it as an opportunity to carry on playing himself in defence if we've not got cover. Doesn't inspire much confidence.