General Election 2024

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

People on the Scottish electoral roll yes, I very much doubt they were all Scots.

A very reformy sounding post this...

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

So Jeremy Corbyn won more votes in 2019 despite one of the biggest political smear campaigns in history, and while his own party was quite openly trying to sabotage it from within, than Sir Keir did with fawning coverage versus the worst Tory government of recent times. 

Then JC holds his own seat as an independent against the party that kicked him out.

Jezza the real winner here IMO.

67.5% turnout in Islington North; Corbyn with 50% of total vote. Be a bit more neighbourly, Starmer.

6 hours ago, AyrExile said:

How could anyone not see that coming? When party influencers like Gillian Sturgeon can't even be bothered voting you must surely know the ball has long been burst. 

The level of defeat no-one saw.

27 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Can I put any hope in that even this clusterfuck version of the SNP still managed to take around 30% of the vote in Scotland?

Yes you can, particularly when you realised they were obliterated in Scotland by a party that only got 5% more of the vote and now have to prove their worth.

6 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Just imagine the kind of freaks that inhabit North Antrim :o

Thank christ many of them left these shores tbh, a shame for the Irish ; but basically the mutants that live here but over there.

2 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Is that a dog whistle I can hear?

If English/Welsh voters are twice as likely to vote Reform than Scottish voters is it dog whistle politics to suggest/imply that English/Welsh people living in Scotland are more likely to vote reform than Scots?

Just now, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

He stated that if there was FPTP in play, Reform would have had over 100 seats, I guess he wants it.

The current system is FPTP.

He wants PR. 

1 hour ago, Jedi2 said:

Labour with 3.5 million fewer votes than 2017 (on probably the most left-wing programme since 1945) and 500,000 fewer than 2019.

Shows that it was Reform wot won it, by pulling down the Tory vote.

Certainly something for Starmer to reflect upon..both that Corbyn actually won more votes (twice) and that an openly 'left' manifesto went down better across the country.

Also, in terms of winning a 2nd term, that ironically Reform would probably have to continue eating away at the Tories. 

Corbyn was box office compared to Starmer. But he mobilised and galvanised the opposition as much as his own side. 

If Starmer had had half of Corbyn's manifesto, he would have had all the friction from the media, vested interests lined up against him and might have kept tories voting tory.

No way would turnout be as low. And he'd probably not enthuse the left as much as corbyn did. 

He won by being a blank slate for people to project their own hopes onto while never thrratening the sratus quo. I doubt he could have won with anything controversial. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Corbyn was box office compared to Starmer. But he mobilised and galvanised the opposition as much as his own side. 

If Starmer had had half of Corbyn's manifesto, he would have had all the friction from the media, vested interests lined up against him and might have kept tories voting tory.

No way would turnout be as low. And he'd probably not enthuse the left as much as corbyn did. 

He won by being a blank slate for people to project their own hopes onto while never thrratening the sratus quo. I doubt he could have won with anything controversial. 

Said it before, will say it again, it must be shite being a left-leaning voter in England.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Said it before, will say it again, it must be shite being a left-leaning voter in England.

Yes, yes it is. Greens will have given a bit of hope to some constituencies for the future.

Just learned that it's the big Orange Walk in Glesca ramorra.

Will they be more ebulliantly obnoxious than usual given the kicking their hated SNP got, and their beloved Union looking pretty secure? Or will the doing the Tories got bring them down a bit?

Shouldn't matter after the tenth Buckfast, I suppose.

Just now, KirkieRR said:

Will they be more ebulliantly obnoxious than usual given the kicking their hated SNP got, and their beloved Union looking pretty secure? Or will the doing the Tories got bring them down a bit?

SNP should have run on a promise of banning the c***s. Would have cut the voter apathy 

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I never thought it would be so depressing to see an election in which the Conservative Party were crushed.

Dark days ahead unless Labour have something incredible to pull out of the hat. There must be a lot of scared "non-Britons" out there right now.

Yes, this.

Delighted to see the Tories spectacularly chucked out.

However, there are several troubling elements, and I feel kind of flat today.

5 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

I'm sure they are also big fans of FPTP. Or something similar.