General Election 2024

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

It does make you wonder what they think is going to happen between now and the 4th of July. Considering they're obviously unprepared, what's the benefit to throwing a snap election at an unusual time? Even if you ascribe to the theory that the top Conservatives will be fairly relieved to lose this election, I'm not sure how this even helps with that aim - they're losing regardless, and likely quite badly.

Is there some catastrophic economic news coming before the end of the year that they want to be well clear of?

I reckon Sunak thinks England are going to win the Euros and they’ll be reelected on the back of some English wave of nationalist joy. 

14 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I reckon Sunak thinks England are going to win the Euros and they’ll be reelected on the back of some English wave of nationalist joy. 

4th July? His advisors must reckon they are good for the QFs (5th July) but that’s about as much as can be guaranteed.

12 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Translation -

"fucking coward with wafer-thin majority dodges long-overdue humiliation".

Every incumbent should be forced to stand in perpetuity, until they either drop dead, or are punted by the electorate.

This. I was angry to hear that Gove was running away yesterday.  This useless, venal, mendacious c4nt has for years been happy to defend the indefensible on TV and radio, plugged his pals into VIP lanes to get their snouts in the trough for millions/billions of public money (especially during the pandemic), tell us "we've had enough of experts" during Brexit, which he fully supported, and then more recently casually admitted that the UK was "broken" and nothing worked anymore. The least he could have done was stand and be publicly humiliated on 4/7. He is an absolute weasel, the Tory's Tory.

TL/DE; I hate Michael Gove.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

As Scary Bear says, I don't think another quarter-final will do much for him. England fans consider that the bare minimum.

It is a bit perplexing why he wouldn't wait a few more weeks and cross his fingers that "football's coming home", unless he's not actually wanting to win and/or knows that not even a sudden decisive victory over Zombie Hitler's Spanish armada of evil Muslim childmen would make any difference.

12 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

You realise that the election is being held before the quarter finals even take place? Besides, the idea that lots of voters will be swayed by the football results is for the birds 

9 hours ago, Jedi2 said:

Barnett Formula funding has averaged £41 billion per year for the past few years. Also, as agreed in August:

'Holyrood’s capital borrowing powers will rise in line with inflation, enabling the Scottish Government to invest further in schools, hospitals, roads and other key infrastructure that will help to create better paid jobs and opportunity in Scotland.

The new deal maintains the Barnett formula, through which the Scottish Government receives over £8 billion more funding each year than if it received the levels of UK Government spending per person elsewhere in the UK. It also updates funding arrangements in relation to court revenues and the Crown Estate'

(UK govt website)

Yes, they have to 'balance the books' at the end of each fiscal year, but extra borrowing powers in line with inflation, keeping every penny of tax raised in Scotland, and bringing in on average..£41 billion from Barnett?

Any Labour govt will only borrow to invest in public services. (So more spend on  Education, Health, Social Care etc thanthe Tories).That borrowing has a knock on positive effect on money available in Scotland.  Its entirely up to the SNP (at present) how they allocate these funds (in addition to their own taxation).

I’m not an expert on U.K. funding (of course neither are you, but you think cutting and pasting makes you so).

However as I understand it there is expenditure in England on things like hs2 and the London Underground that are ignored for comparative purposes.  Another example is that BBC spends less in Scotland than Scottish licence fee payers contribute, maybe if they were compelled to buy all the national football teams’ rights that would even things out.

Of course the biggest issue you ignore is that if Scotland had been ‘allowed’ to keep its oil revenue we could have built a sovereign wealth fund like Norway and not be so dependent on the rest of the UK’s ‘generosity’.

8 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Well since the actual question asked makes no mention of "Defacto" anything, would it not make a bit more sense to wait and see what that actual line in the manifesto says before jumping to conclusions?

Page 1 Line 1 is adhering to the agreed Conference motion, so would rather think it means..'most seats-start negotiations'

11 hours ago, virginton said:

Before that you wouldn't have got through and wouldn't have gotten an appointment either. If there's one objective fact about the Blair administration's performance, it is that the NHS delivery for patients was significantly improved under their watch. 

Whether they got sufficient value for that huge investment is another question. Although ironically the most high profile failure of reform was the collapse of giant IT projects to join up the NHS and move beyond the archaic systems that persist to some degree today.

There'll be no similar revitalisation of health care under any party elected now, unless someone can turn all the river sewage into gold bars. 

I'm not sure, the volume of data that the NHS hold is extremely valuable if we invested in the levels of computing power to identify trends and improve diagnosis then that would be worth billions. Of course we will sell access to the data for millions to some American tech firm to trawl through and then make us pay for whatever they find out.

8 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Sunak really hasn't thought this through fully, has he.

Maybe he has thought it through and his thoughts were "f**k these b*****ds. I'm off to count my money on July 5th"

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

You realise that the election is being held before the quarter finals even take place? Besides, the idea that lots of voters will be swayed by the football results is for the birds 

Jeez it was just a joke. Yes I realise that, I’m going to the fucking thing.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

As Scary Bear says, I don't think another quarter-final will do much for him. England fans consider that the bare minimum.

It is a bit perplexing why he wouldn't wait a few more weeks and cross his fingers that "football's coming home", unless he's not actually wanting to win and/or knows that not even a sudden decisive victory over Zombie Hitler's Spanish armada of evil Muslim childmen would make any difference.

Yeah it was just a joke, I don’t really think that’s the reason.

I suspect it’s the much more mundane fact that everyone is putting in letters of no confidence, maybe he knew they were coming anyway and is trying to go out as Prime minister, not be punted for someone else. It’s fairly clear to me the Tories are probably going to get punted out whenever the election happens. 

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

I wonder if Albania do well at the Euros, maybe some people will vote Alba in solidarity or something.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BFTD said:

You’re picking me up wrong. The mood by 4th January will likely be  ‘it’s coming home!’ It’ll be full-on Euros fever with the QFs just the next day. It’s pretty good timing for what is a fairly nationalistic place (I’m meaning England here) these days. Kudos to the Tory advisors there.

A lot of people have very short attention spans. They’ve been brought up on news only being news for a couple of weeks at most before it’s shunted down the pecking order. They’ll be forgetting all about David Cameron and George Osborne’s failed austerity years where we racked up the debts. They’ll be forgetting all about Brexit and the Covid scandals and the cost of living crisis. It’ll be all about England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 flags, and bashing Johnny Foreigner.

Edited by Scary Bear

38 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You’re picking me up wrong. The mood by 4th January will likely be full ‘it’s coming home!’ It’ll be full-on Euros fever with the QFs just the next day. It’s pretty good timing for what is a fairly nationalistic place (I’m meaning England here) these days. Kudos to the Tory advisors there.

A lot of people have very short attention spans. They’ve been brought up on news only being news for a couple of weeks at most before it’s shunted down the pecking order. They’ll be forgetting all about David Cameron and George Osborne’s failed austerity years where we racked up the debts. They’ll be forgetting all about Brexit and the Covid scandals and the cost of living crisis. It’ll be all about England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 flags, and bashing Johnny Foreigner.

I dunno, I still don't think it would do him much good, but I guess we'll see (assuming they make it out of the groups). I think they'd need a tournament win to make people forget about what a glaring, deliberate catastrophe they've been for most people, and even then any feel-good factor could just as easily convince people to vote for the fresh-faced optimistic ideas put forward by Kier Starmer (yeah, I know), like after WWII.

They're surely going out no matter what. The Conservatives could likely announce that they've personally tracked down aliens who are bringing technology to solve all of our energy problems and I'm not sure it would help them much. Probably just have people suspiciously eyeing them for doing deals with immigrants.

5 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Maybe he has thought it through and his thoughts were "f**k these b*****ds. I'm off to count my money on July 5th"

July 5th is a good day to move back to America; everyone’s rough as f**k and the customs guys will likely just wave him straight through 

Apparently Keef's full of chat about lowering the voting age to 16 today.

Looking forward to seeing the Conservative stuff about this being an attempt to gerrymander more Labour votes, considering their tentative steps towards US-style voter suppression in recent years.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Apparently Keef's full of chat about lowering the voting age to 16 today.

Looking forward to seeing the Conservative stuff about this being an attempt to gerrymander more Labour votes, considering their tentative steps towards US-style voter suppression in recent years.

Former Labour MP is already on it. 

ETA - I’m genuinely grateful to Stewart McDonald for ridding my constituency of that utter c**t. 

Edited by carpetmonster