General Election 2024

What I want to know is why he’s decided that this is the time to have a GE. Does he think he’s done something amazing recently and the tide has turned?

If the Reform UK support is as large as social media has us believe, we'll get a hung parliament and nobody wanting to enter into a coalition with anyone else. 

Right now, knowing the choice is between the blue Tories and the red ones, I think my choice will be to go to Switzerland and get that injection 

21 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It bamboozles me that someone as absurdly rich as Sunak hasn't been able to source a fitting suit jacket yet. 

To be fair, it's quite shiny

Just now, Derry Pele said:

What I want to know is why he’s decided that this is the time to have a GE. Does he think he’s done something amazing recently and the tide has turned?

If the Reform UK support is as large as social media has us believe, we'll get a hung parliament and nobody wanting to enter into a coalition with anyone else. 

Right now, knowing the choice is between the blue Tories and the red ones, I think my choice will be to go to Switzerland and get that injection 

I think it's a case they know they are going to get decimated so may as well get it over with then wait for Labour to make an arse of it while they rebuild.

3 minutes ago, The DA said:

He will.  The electoral boundary changes alone will make it difficult for Labour to get a majority.

If it’s a hung Parliament the LibDems/SNP should make abolition of FPTP a condition of their support.

I think it’s self-preservation. Apparently votes of no-confidence in him were going in. Let’s face it, there’s not going to be a good time for it now, they’ve massively drained this country for themselves and people have finally realised it, they’re fucked for the foreseeable future. 

5 minutes ago, The DA said:

He will.  The electoral boundary changes alone will make it difficult for Labour to get a majority.

DId they make any real changes to the boundaries. They certainly never passed the reforms of cutting the number of MPs. And the dramatic map changes in Scotland which planned to slice every major town in two.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If it’s a hung Parliament the LibDems/SNP should make abolition of FPTP a condition of their support.

Aye, that's worked well in the past.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

The SNP would be daft to do this. No party has benefitted more from FPTP than the SNP. Dozens of seats with at most 5% of the vote. 

What does Sunak care?

Him and his family are billionaires.

He's already given his cronies and mates billions of the tax payer's money as well as ensuring that his father in law and wife will will rake in £1.5bn from North Sea contracts. Strange that no one is investigating that insider trading.

In terms of elections, if you're Scottish and you vote for an English party (Labour, Conservative, Greens, Lib Dems) then the photograph below is you:

Screenshot_20240117_225035_X.jpg

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The SNP would be absolutely mad to do this. 

11 minutes ago, Derry Pele said:

Lots of people who don't vote Tory will be getting their passports renewed in time for a summer holiday. 

Thus they won't have valid photo id on election day, won't be able to vote and hence Rishi wins the election.

Just a thought.

10 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

DId they make any real changes to the boundaries. They certainly never passed the reforms of cutting the number of MPs. And the dramatic map changes in Scotland which planned to slice every major town in two.

The BBC News Channel earlier was saying that Labour now needed a 14.7% majority rather than 14%.

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Lots of people who don't vote Tory will be getting their passports renewed in time for a summer holiday. 

Thus they won't have valid photo id on election day, won't be able to vote and hence Rishi wins the election.

Just a thought.

Pity you can't vote using the post these days.

Just now, doulikefish said:

7 weeks of "Stop the boats" will be really exciting 

We are heading into the busiest time of the year for dinghy crossings across the channel. 'Stop the Boats' will be a difficult message for Sunak to sell I suspect. 

7 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Just a thought.

How to vote: Photo ID you'll need - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

The photo on your ID must look like you. You can still use your ID even if it has expired.