Major election gaffes 2024

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This sums up how out of touch he is.

As a child I didn't have a TV never mind Sky TV.

Only time we ever had Sky was went they would renew the subscription card in the (very) old style boxes, but the old cards would still work for a while. Think we got about 6 months out of someone's old card before it got wiped

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

This one’s a belter.

Rishi Sunak aide placed bet on election date days before announcement

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/12/rishi-sunaks-closest-aide-placed-bet-on-election-date-days-before-announcement

Ladbrokes declined to comment. A spokesperson for the Gambling Commission said: “If someone uses confidential information in order to gain an unfair advantage when betting, this may constitute an offence of cheating under section 42 of the Gambling Act, which is a criminal offence.

f**k the Tories and everything, but I'm not going to be pouring one out for Ladbrokes tonight.

31 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This sums up how out of touch he is.

As a child I didn't have a TV never mind Sky TV.

We had a wee black & white portable when I was little. I inherited it for use with my ZX Spectrum 48K after we rented a colour set.

It's incredible that social services didn't step in.

24 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Only time we ever had Sky was went they would renew the subscription card in the (very) old style boxes, but the old cards would still work for a while. Think we got about 6 months out of someone's old card before it got wiped

See back in the old analogue Astra satellite days, could you get pirate cards that bypassed Sky's encryption? I seem to remember hearing that being true, but was too young to know much about it.

19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

If only my parents had resisted SKY TV, maybe I could have gone to a £52k a year private school instead, too.

Yeah, we're right into "stop buying avocados if you want to buy a house" territory.

9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

See back in the old analogue Astra satellite days, could you get pirate cards that bypassed Sky's encryption?

That rings a bell! The actual box might have been the hand-me-down, the card might have been a friend of a friend thing! I was too young myself to understand but managed to suss out the original PlayStation disc swap with the wee spring trick quickly enough 👀

20 minutes ago, BFTD said:

We had a wee black & white portable when I was little. I inherited it for use with my ZX Spectrum 48K after we rented a colour set.

We used Radio Rentals, although there were others, such as Granada

3 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

We used Radio Rentals, although there were others, such as Granada

We had a black and white TV that you had to put 2 shillings (10p) in to keep it going.

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I watched all the Emmanuelle films on Friday nights on RTL.

Happy days.

The European channels were something of an eye-opener. German TV with random nudity in the adverts during the day. Hey, here's a woman using our new microwave oven with her tits out - maybe if you buy one, topless women will come over and nuke your TV dinner for you! Can't hurt to try, eh?

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The European channels were something of an eye-opener. German TV with random nudity in the adverts during the day. Hey, here's a woman using our new microwave oven with her tits out - maybe if you buy one, topless women will come over and nuke your TV dinner for you! Can't hurt to try, eh?

I distinctly remember a German advert for shampoo that consisted of a gorgeous blonde in the shower, soaping her tits with the suds.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I distinctly remember a German advert for shampoo that consisted of a gorgeous blonde in the shower, soaping her tits with the suds.

That makes sense, at least. Here in the Nineties, Garnier was allowed to sneak out a European advert with a brief flash of nipple from some lassie in the shower and the press predictably went ballistic, so it had to be pulled. Meanwhile on the continent, "hey, check out this new Bic razor!" says attractive young lady with her knockers exposed.

IIRC, this was around the time that TV channels were finally allowed to show adverts for feminine hygiene products. We're an odd little island.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That makes sense, at least. Here in the Nineties, Garnier was allowed to sneak out a European advert with a brief flash of nipple from some lassie in the shower and the press predictably went ballistic, so it had to be pulled. Meanwhile on the continent, "hey, check out this new Bic razor!" says attractive young lady with her knockers exposed.

Oh.jpg.069f93e00396118a1fc660fecaa51e7d.jpg

This is the Sunak aide who bet on the date of the election.  Surely this photo should disqualify him for holding office.  Definitely oftw.

IMG_1661.jpeg.f7cc088649c7357ddd7a3beeaeb35c05.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is the Sunak aide who bet on the date of the election.  Surely this photo should disqualify him for holding office.  Definitely oftw.

IMG_1661.jpeg.f7cc088649c7357ddd7a3beeaeb35c05.jpeg

You really have to question the intelligence of these people. If you are, allegedly, going to use any inside information you may have, surely you would use a traditional betting shop and put the bet on anonymously using cash, rather than online where you need to provide proof of identity etc.

10 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

You really have to question the intelligence of these people. If you are, allegedly, going to use any inside information you may have, surely you would use a traditional betting shop and put the bet on anonymously using cash, rather than online where you need to provide proof of identity etc.

Noted for future reference, cheers.