Major election gaffes 2024

Sunak leaving D-Day early to go and do an ITV interview is a horrific gaffe at the best of times never mind during an election campaign. All the papers will run with it tomorrow.

Easy Reform and Labour win that - especially with Starmer meeting Schulz and Macron.

It's also just incredibly stupid, who on earth is advising him.

55 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Sunak leaving D-Day early to go and do an ITV interview is a horrific gaffe at the best of times never mind during an election campaign. All the papers will run with it tomorrow.

Easy Reform and Labour win that - especially with Starmer meeting Schulz and Macron.

You do rather get the impression that the party are giving Rishi an unlimited amount of rope to hang himself with.

Certainly makes sense to do so, considering Zombie Thatcher couldn't save them at this point (and would probably be too much of a lefty for them now anyway).

6 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Tories are not pleased with this.

Tim Montgomerie, the founder of the grassroots Conservative Home website, told BBC Newsnight: “I want to put my head in my hands. If he came back for a political interview from the D-day commemorations that is indefensible.

“This is going to be the last big commemoration where survivors will be present,” he added. “I think it’s political malpractice of the highest order if Mr Sunak absented himself for an election interview on ITV.”

How would you feel if you were a 100 year old d-day veteran attending what is surely the last major anniversary you’ll see, only for Sunak to turn up for a few photo ops and then swan off for an ITV interview leaving yesterday’s man Lord Cameron to represent our country instead?

Disgusting.

Real prime ministerial class shown by Starmer on the other hand.

7 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Not sure it’s a Reform win, given their side lost at D-Day. 

Asked where the prime minister was while Foreign Secretary David Cameron "was standing next to the presidents of America and France" at a D-Day memorial, Johnston tells Radio 4's Today programme that he doesn't know.

Pressed by the BBC's Nick Robinson whether he thinks it was "inappropriate" for Sunak to leave early, Johnston repeats that doesn't know where Sunak was and that he doesn't have access to the prime minister's diary.

As a reminder, Sunak gave an interview to ITV after returning from France, defending a claim he had made in an earlier TV debate that a Labour government would raise taxes by £2,000.

Add that to election gaffs like parachuting a Tory minister into a safe seat constituency at the last minute (despite being told 7 months ago the sitting Tory was leaving) so there was no other Torys go possibly stand is looking out for the boys stuff.

Imagine writing a desperate last-minute back of a fag packet policy involving the reintroduction of a years national service just to appease the gammon, then pissing them (and everybody else) off by being too busy for an afternoon with the other world leaders for a landmark D-Day commemoration.

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

How would you feel if you were a 100 year old d-day veteran attending what is surely the last major anniversary you’ll see, only for Sunak to turn up for a few photo ops and then swan off for an ITV interview leaving yesterday’s man Lord Cameron to represent our country instead?

Disgusting.

Real prime ministerial class shown by Starmer on the other hand.

Surely some would've liked them all to have been banned from these occasions many moons ago.

There can't be many soldiers from the world wars who weren't well aware that the country's leaders have never given a shit about them, and only turned out for the good press.

Just been driving and listened to the 5 Live phone in (yes, i know - idiots with a megaphone). 

The callers can be categorised into the following camps:

• It's his adviser's fault
  • He's apologised, leave him be
  • This is outrageous and disgusting. 
  • Imagine if Jeremy Corbyn had done this. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Pretty much how I feel just now.

I did not know you had reached 100.  Congratulations!

Did you get a card from the King? 

He could have gave you one of the medals he wore when he met the veterans.

1 minute ago, Sugar_Army said:

I did not know you had reached 100.  Congratulations!

Did you get a card from the King? 

He could have gave you one of the medals he wore when he met the veterans.

I’m 69 but it feels like 100.

If I reach 100 I’ll feel like 200, and hopefully the monarchy will be abolished by then.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m 69 but it feels like 100.

If I reach 100 I’ll feel like 200, and hopefully the monarchy will be abolished by then.

More likely that democracy will have been abolished by then, I'm afraid.

Edit: almost forgot; 69 - nice!

Edited by BFTD