Your Candidates Tonight

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

You're completely missing the point on American Foreign policy which has been involved in conflicts/wars continually since the end of WW2, we need to isolate the UK from military association with the US and the wallowing in American culture and foreign policies, we have been dragged into their affairs for far too long, the latest being aerial attacks on the Houthi in Yemen from an RAF base in Cyprus, the more we take part in this type of American policy the more of a retaliatory target we become.

The American military use us with basing nuclear weapons and stealth flights from Macrihanish, US nuclear subs still secretly using Faslane, six USAF bases in england, the fact that westminster are leasing not owning the new Trident system costing £35 Billion where the UK military cannot service the missile guidance system but have to ship them back to the US for servicing. Basically the US military is using the UK as a type of aircraft carrier, imagine the uproar if France, Germany and the UK were to set up fighter bases in the US?

No we here in Europe need to isolate ourselves from the US military and stand on our two feet which will reduce the tension between Russia and the US, and also reduce the glorification of all things american especially the over interest in presidential elections and candidates.

The very high threat of nuclear war threatening Europe from Russia has been singularly brought about by American Military over presence here in Europe.

Not a lover of Russia but having lost 26 million people in the last war I do understand their hysteria over being surrounded by American driven NATO countries surrounding their borders, do you remember when the US went mental when Kruschev wanted to install missies on Cuba.

American foreign and military policy is America first and the rest be damned, America, as much as I love the country is an aggressor.

I’m more interested in how things are than how they should be.

I agree that we should not be following US foreign policy slavishly but we will regardless of whether we have a Tory or Labour government.  You can bet other European countries will too, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

I am no fan of Biden or of his foreign policy, though I might have a different perspective on a Putin-led Russia than you do, but any foreign policy driven by Biden will at least be advised on and scrutinised by rational people, or at least as rational as US foreign policy and military advisers allow.  Trump will surround himself with Christian Nationalist nut jobs whose whole perspective will be skewed by their beliefs.

The elections in the UK, the country where I live, are more important to my life and that of my family and those close to me than the elections in the USA, where I do not live.  

Searing hot take, I know.  Pick yourselves off the floor and deal with it.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The elections in the UK, the country where I live, are more important to my life and that of my family and those close to me than the elections in the USA, where I do not live.  

I hope that’s true.  If Trump wins maybe we can revisit that in a few years.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I hope that’s true.  If Trump wins maybe we can revisit that in a few years.

Nikki Haley was the most dangerous option. She had the potential to bring Bush-style chaos but gladly she's no longer in the running.

Trump is worse than Biden on foreign policy but I don't think the difference between them is as large as you're suggesting. Biden has actually doubled down on much of what Trump did. He has continued to push Taiwan away from its neutrality, the very neutrality which had allowed Taiwan to become the prosperous and progressive society it now is. Although in fairness, the damage Trump did on that - poking China into action over it - maybe meant it had already become a runaway train before Biden came in. Biden has continued with the belligerence towards Iran but again, I think things with Iran had already been so badly fucked by Trump that Biden couldn't have turned it around even had he wanted to. Where Biden has been a complete bellend of his own making is on west Asia. He has continued with Trump's Abraham Accords when he could easily have reversed course on them. He's currently offering a security deal to the Saudi royal family which would see USA duty-bound to intervene on their behalf. Rewarding a brutal dictatorship in that way because it helps Netanyahu is a disasterstroke. 

Regarding how we're affected here in UK, you could draw a straight line between the Manchester Arena massacre and the Nato intervention in Libya, to give one example. That happened during a Democratic party presidency. So while the world is generally safer with a Democratic party rather than Republican party president in USA, they're different points on a spectrum rather than polar opposites.

Been down a rabbit hole. 

We have a new independent candidate in Falkirk

image.png.2ba013a8d1d221ec2f44592b5d50ee0f.png

I wanted to know where he stood on things and why he was standing, so I googled him and came across this:

https://www.divergentparty.com/mark-tunnicliff

His page for the "Divergent Party" from 2019

The bottom half of that page is him explaining why he isn't far-right, as people have called him, but patriotic instead. 

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Been down a rabbit hole. 

We have a new independent candidate in Falkirk

image.png.2ba013a8d1d221ec2f44592b5d50ee0f.png

I wanted to know where he stood on things and why he was standing, so I googled him and came across this:

https://www.divergentparty.com/mark-tunnicliff

His page for the "Divergent Party" from 2019

The bottom half of that page is him explaining why he isn't far-right, as people have called him, but patriotic instead. 

I like this bit from him:

Screenshot2024-06-122_58_17PM.thumb.png.0afd0f8c50f7172cd591e90380a43238.png

The “heritage party” are standing a Neil Oliveresque freak here in wonderful Dumfries and (not so wonderful) galloway. Interesting statement to voters…

Freedom • Family • Nation. The Heritage Party/Scottish Heritage Party stand for No to mandatory vaccines • No to ULEZ/LEZ • No to mass illegal immigration • No to indoctrination of children • Keep the culture of the United Kingdom

ULEZ is definitely top priority here in Dumfries. 

21 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I think he has got Carol Vorderman confused with Carol Thatcher

I think he has got Carol Vorderman confused with Heinrich Himmler

47 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think he has got Carol Vorderman confused with Heinrich Himmler

Easy mistake, they both appeared in game shows with Richard Whiteley didn’t they?

37 minutes ago, Cheese said:

A loose party of independents is standing across Edinburgh.

20240617_215653.thumb.jpg.60919f44965e84ec403a8e00d571ca85.jpg

Edinburgh People - Edinburgh People

Pointless in GE; but until few years ago was a Border Party that held a couple of seats on the council and were even part of the executive for a while.

Been local parties in Shetland:     Shetland Movement - Wikipedia

and I think Dunbartonshire.

Local council ‘independents’ were rarely a thing in Dundee but there were quite a few in Angus.  They were always pretty right wing types as far as I’m aware.

16 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Every person in Edinburgh is called Markham Rowbotham 

You can make up posh names from the bus destinations in Edinburgh

Signed 

Torphin Clermiston