Group C 🇸🇮🇩🇰🇷🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Some England fans' reactions to the team's performances at Euro 2024 are "creating an unusual environment" which is "causing an issue for the group" says manager Gareth Southgate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cw00y6x3j07o

Why does this read as the Executive Summary of a consultancy memo? 

It must be hard when the fans are acting like complete arseholes, but it's a very weird comment. 

10 hours ago, Richie said:

Austria a toughie for them on that side as well

They've certainly been the best team in that half of the draw. But Austria have no experience of playing knockout international football and could easily freeze (or just play poorly) in the next stage of the competition. 

10 hours ago, sparky88 said:

England have never beaten teams of the quality of Netherlands, Belgium and Italy in the knockout stages of a major tournament away from home. 

Belgium particularly look impressive.

The same Belgium that lost their first game to Slovakia? Impressive?

Those big name sides have all been as ropey as England in their own way, and have bigger flaws in their starting lineup to resolve. Belgium's defence still relies on some relics from it's golden generation: Italy have somehow found even worse centre forward options than Belotti at the last tournament (and are themselves likely to struggle to beat Switzerland). The Dutch team does nothing well and hasn't done for years.

This wouldn't even be a discussion if France had simply stayed in their lane or if any one of Spain, Portugal or Germany ended up in England's side of the draw. It's ridiculously lop-sided in quality, and despite the overrated squad, England do actually have a better squad in terms of quality than anyone in that half of the tournament.

For Southgate to fail to reach a final should be regarded by them as a sackable offence now, whether he's planning to leave at the end of his contract or not. 

16 minutes ago, Michael W said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cw00y6x3j07o

Why does this read as the Executive Summary of a consultancy memo? 

It must be hard when the fans are acting like complete arseholes, but it's a very weird comment. 

The England support are clearly arseholes for non footballing reasons but they have every right to be fuming about the shambles Southgate is making of this tournament. 

Bemused to hear some chat that the Slovenia game was a step forward.  I thought England were terrible again. 

But could still easily win this. They are pretty hard to score against and have players that on the right day can nab you a couple. 

They are so bad to watch though 

13 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

The England support are clearly arseholes for non footballing reasons but they have every right to be fuming about the shambles Southgate is making of this tournament. 

Bemused to hear some chat that the Slovenia game was a step forward.  I thought England were terrible again. 

But could still easily win this. They are pretty hard to score against and have players that on the right day can nab you a couple. 

They are so bad to watch though 

They've always been shit to watch under Southgate. But in qualifying they would turn up and put 4 past that Slovenia side quite easily. The ability is very clearly there. 

Much as I would prefer them to face The Netherlands than some of the other "easier" sides, I equally think that they have a very good chance of beating them. The Dutch are no great shakes, the defence suspect and they will not sit in like Denmark or Slovenia did. Space will be granted and that's dangerous with Saka/Foden around, who can revert to the classic 'cut it back to Kane' that served England well before Pep Guardiola ruined Raheem Sterling's career by coaching him into oblivion.  

This group was only one Serbia goal against England from being a straight 4-way tie, with identical records. 

All else being equal, it would have gone to disciplinary points, then qualification performance and left the ranking as:

Denmark
Slovenia
England
Serbia

Denmark finish above Slovenia (as they did in reality) thanks to a 54th-minute Thomas Delaney goal on the penultimate match day of qualifying. Denmark won the game 2-1, to ensure a 3-2 aggregate head-to-head record. 

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

This England chat is reminding me of the World Cup in 1990, where they were so duff that everyone was bemoaning the state of English football after the group stage (where they won 1-0, drew 1-1 and 0-0, and finished top of the group).

Happily, everything was fine after they shaded an extra-time game against Belgium, beat rank outsiders Cameroon thanks to a couple of dodgy penalties, and didn't get completely horsed in the semis by Ze Germans. Dunno if such a redemption arc is possible here, considering finishing fourth is no longer an exceptional result.

Euro 96 gets the same misty-eyed treatment and it would be easy to think that England had a great side then, but it's a bit of a myth. They drew against Switzerland, were poor against us and if Gary Mac scores the penalty they draw that game. They were great against the Dutch to be fair (the match which the myth has been built on), but then drew against Spain and Germany, winning and then losing on penalties. With every game being a home game too.

England have been terrible so far but as long as you are relatively solid at the back and can get results when not playing well you've always got a chance and buy yourself time for things to click. Of course it helps when you get the draws that England seem to get.

Portugal won it in 2016 without winning a single group game, and only won 1 game in 90 minutes in the whole tournament, which was against Wales in the semi-finals. I wouldn't be that surprised if England had a similar scrappy/flukey run in this tournament.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

4 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

That gives me the fear. 

Holland are possibly the only country in world football worse at penalties than England

They've both got shit records on penalties, hopefully a repeat of this.

https://www.uefa.com/under21/news/0257-0dee200058b6-9ea2cb0be0bb-1000--watch-the-longest-ever-shoot-out-in-uefa-competition/

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Euro 96 gets the same misty-eyed treatment and it would be easy to think that England had a great side then, but it's a bit of a myth. They drew against Switzerland, were poor against us and if Gary Mac scores the penalty they draw that game. They were great against the Dutch to be fair (the match which the myth has been built on), but then drew against Spain and Germany, winning and then losing on penalties. With every game being a home game too.

England have been terrible so far but as long as you are relatively solid at the back and can get results when not playing well you've always got a chance and buy yourself time for things to click. Of course it helps when you get the draws that England seem to get.

Portugal won it in 2016 without winning a single group game, and only won 1 game in 90 minutes in the whole tournament, which was against Wales in the semi-finals. I wouldn't be that surprised if England had a similar scrappy/flukey run in this tournament.

Aye, they were fortunate to get through the Spain match in particular - IIRC, they had two goals disallowed and were generally the better side.

It looks like being a standard tournament for them (much like us); bumble along, then out against the first quality opponents they face. I feel a bit for them, as they seem like a decent enough bunch and they're going to be slaughtered by the press and public yet again. Certainly not enough to hope they win, though.

2 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

I do remember wondering what happens when a team finishes the game with fewer players and the shoot-out goes through the full squads.

Something else I've wondered (as I have a busy internal life) is what would happen if a player injured himself taking a penalty, then his turn came around again and he was incapacitated.

I do particularly like the mewling "poor us" cries at all the criticism they're getting.  Lineker is turning into more than a bit of a smug c**t, but saying "you haven't won anything either" is pish stuff, along the lines of "you haven't played the game".  Lineker was a very good player, but whether it's him or Barry from Bootle with his bulldog tattoo, they're right to point out that England have a wealth of resources and have served up, what, like 20 minutes of good football over 3 games?  And that 20 minutes can be heavily caveated with them absolutely shitting themselves and withdrawing for the remaining 70.  

The worst thing you could probably level at them is that they look very much like Scotland in fancy clothing.  For all their money, and all their hype, I'm not seeing a massive difference in approaches from what we did.  Both of us looked terrified.  Both of us were ponderous.  Both of us playing beneath what we're capable of.  Difference being just how far beneath, as we were always going to be up against it.  Main difference, they were obviously top seed, didn't have a big side in there, and got an unconvincing win against Serbia.  Without that, I think Southgate gets more than a few pints thrown at him.

But I bet the c***s go further in the tournament.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I do remember wondering what happens when a team finishes the game with fewer players and the shoot-out goes through the full squads.

Something else I've wondered (as I have a busy internal life) is what would happen if a player injured himself taking a penalty, then his turn came around again and he was incapacitated.

Do they not assign someone to miss out and then it goes 10 vs 10 or whatever?  Pretty sure that's the rule.

That’s correct, because otherwise being a man down could be an advantage (when 10 penalties each have been taken it becomes the short handed team’s best taker against the other team’s worst).

I want to say that the nominated player can’t be the goalkeeper as they must take no part in the shootout.

14 minutes ago, forameus said:

Do they not assign someone to miss out and then it goes 10 vs 10 or whatever?  Pretty sure that's the rule.

Aye, that's what happened in that U21 game.

Can't think of a time anyone wasn't able to take a penalty during a shoot-out though, although Italy seemed like they were stuck together with tape by the end of USA 94.

Thought they were favourites for the tournament 😬

See Foden has left the camp and returned to the UK temporarily for family reasons, can't wait to hear the usual gammons reacting to that news.

29 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Thought they were favourites for the tournament 😬

See Foden has left the camp and returned to the UK temporarily for family reasons, can't wait to hear the usual gammons reacting to that news.

Mrs having a baby apparently 

It's the same thing every other year:

The English media whip up incredibly unrealistic expectations.  When the team inevitably fails to reach said unrealistic expectations that the media creates, the English media eviscerates the team.

Rinse and repeat.