League Cup Group A - Dandies, Diamonds, Doonhamers, Sons & EK

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

... Why do you keep calling Zander Craik, Zander Craic? Am I missing an 'in joke'?

Thanks for the correction SD, early days - I'm sure we'll get it right soon ... tbf our wonderful peerless BBC also described him as "Craic" in their match updates last night too ... nuff said I suppose.

Thoughts on the game (probably similar to previous)

- First half we were by far the better team, however, Aberdeen had the better chances. Most of these were caused by us trying to be too cute. However, it was enjoyable to watch us play with such confidence against a top league team

- Second half Aberdeen obviously came out and looked more up for it. Whilst Miovski clearly wasnt fit, i think his presence gives the whole team a lift. First goal is a lucky deflection but got to be in the position to get that luck. Second goal was due to us giving the ball away so cheaply. 

- We got a bit more control back and, again, some of our passing from the back was scary at times but when it worked it was superb. Really like the look of the new team. We might even be better than last season. 

- Wilson up top looks like he will score plenty goals. 

- i wonder whether the boy in the middle of the park for Aberdeen should have been sent off. Had been booked and then clattered one of our players late. He looked like a complete hatchet man. 

- I would say we should have got a draw and it would have been well deserved. Hopefully win on Saturday and get through anyways

- on hancock, ive heard Aberdeen want him back. Hopefully he stays. Great player so wouldnt be surprised if he leaves but someone will have to pay a decent sum for him. 

Hancock was definitely helped to look better by being up against Morris and Devlin, although Devlin did stop a cross coming in at one point so he might be getting the whole "defending" thing. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Thanks for the correction SD, early days - I'm sure we'll get it right soon ... tbf our wonderful peerless BBC also described him as "Craic" in their match updates last night too ... nuff said I suppose.

I wasn't trying to correct per se. I'm genuinely not sure if I'm missing something. Is there some sort of Irish nickname thing going on here? I didn't realise the BBC had done the same.

He's definitely registered as 'Craik' in case there's any doubt.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I wasn't trying to correct per se. I'm genuinely not sure if I'm missing something. Is there some sort of Irish nickname thing going on here? I didn't realise the BBC had done the same.

He's definitely registered as 'Craik' in case there's any doubt.

Never doubted you ... was sure you/ the club would have the correct version.

16 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Apparently there is some interest in Hancock and he might not be an Airdrie player come 1st September. I believe Hearts made an enquiry but were scared off by the £200k asking price. 

Having said that tonight was nowhere near his best!

We should've given him a chance, I feel. 

The last time we were in the league cup groups (2022/23 I think) he was playing for Aberdeen and I thought he looked pretty decent but then he was shipped out on loan.

Thought we competed well last night to be honest, if it had been 1-1 at HT I couldn't have complained, some miss from the boy right on half time.

Armstrong looked good, I thought the Aberdeen number 3 done ok, but against better opposition I can see the potential cause for concern.

Nearly 30 years on from my last trip to pittodrie with my old man, and I got to take my teenage daughter, wee daft things like that I'll remember. Oh, and Ben Wilson's finish 😍

On 24/07/2024 at 08:53, Otis Blue said:

Good job your no' responsible for putting the names on the shirts then.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Good job your no' responsible for putting the names on the shirts then.

Indeed!

Tbf ... I think SD was actually correcting a post by @19QOS19 and I had just picked up on it (that's my excuse anyway), pointing out that the glorious BBC had made the same error.

So, onto Saturday ... Anyone think Queens will have enough fit players to sufficiently test a good Airdrie side? And will McCabe be taking the game/2nd spot seriously? Thoughts ...

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

So, onto Saturday ... Anyone think Queens will have enough fit players to sufficiently test a good Airdrie side? And will McCabe be taking the game/2nd spot seriously? Thoughts ...

I suspect he will, as much as anything we made serious cash from our cup exploits last season so there's that. Plus we have the best GD of all teams going for second so that will also figure in.

I actually think it'll be reasonably close in both the score and the "who has more disdain for Ally Roy" stakes.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I suspect he will, as much as anything we made serious cash from our cup exploits last season so there's that. Plus we have the best GD of all teams going for second so that will also figure in.

I actually think it'll be reasonably close in both the score and the "who has more disdain for Ally Roy" stakes.

This should be a good run out for us. Hopefully those missing from Tuesday make a return. I think Airdrie would probably beat us comfortably if not. Airdrie will likely win regardless but I'm hoping we have a go and give a good account of ourselves before the serious stuff starts next weekend. 

I think my only hope is McKechnie benched and Craik gets a start. A goal for the latter would be ideal before next week. 

Situation for the dandies for the latest of our interminable cup matches with Dumbarton in recent times.

A point wins the group. Defeat and we will potentially be out unless Airdrie fail to beat QoS at home.

If we do win, a seeded place in the last 16 will likely depend on goal difference as four sides could well end up on 12pts with one missing out.

That should be ok with a win, but half an eye should be checking that Livi and Ross Co are not both pumping Spartans and Stirling by a few in home matches - then we may need a decent margin of victory.

Edited by tarapoa

Brilliant to see Brydon on the bench. Be good to see him get some game time later on if the game is gone and be challenging for a start next weekend. 

Concerning there's no sign of McIntosh, Doherty (I know, right?!) or in particular, Benji. Hopefully precaution. 

If we start like we did against EK I think we could be beat by HT. Hopefully come out straight away this time and give Airdrie a game. 

Screenshot_20240727-142557.png

On 26/07/2024 at 13:58, Otis Blue said:

Indeed!

Tbf ... I think SD was actually correcting a post by @19QOS19 and I had just picked up on it (that's my excuse anyway), pointing out that the glorious BBC had made the same error.

They've made the same error today, too.

Brydon back in the squad and on the bench.

2 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Strong looking Airdrie side today. Looks like Rhys is definitely after that second spot 

Be daft not to go for it given how strong favourite you are for it. I'm hoping Murphy has thought better of it and that's why the other 3 players aren't featuring. Very low on numbers if they're out for any length of time. 

Hadn't thought about it until they were chasing the same ball there, but Nicky Devlin and Tony Wallace must've been in the same Sons under-20s team. A tragedy Nicky has never had a Scotland cap imho.