Plastic Pitches Dilemma

I'm maddened to read people referring to quality grass surfaces as if they're achievable in Scotland. Climate change has made our weather much wetter giving our pitches no time to dry out. Perhaps only Ibrox has had a consistently good surface this season. Hampden has been rubbish this season and I think even Celtic Park has had moments of resembling a tattie field (reporting myself for anti Irish racism).

I would like to see Championship clubs banding together to challenge this, possibly by boycotting the cups or just refusing promotion. I'm not sure what legal challenges can be brought, but surely the top league changing the rules of admission based on nothing more than a whim can't be legally watertight, especially when it isn't a breakaway division anymore.

The bulk of the teams not in the Premiership are the very same ones that were there when Sevco appeared. They had the chance then to sort the league structure and a fair distribution of wealth. They shat it and will never get another chance. This is another example of why weak leaderships at clubs (and I include my own back then) has sold themselves down the river. 

50 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm maddened to read people referring to quality grass surfaces as if they're achievable in Scotland. Climate change has made our weather much wetter giving our pitches no time to dry out. Perhaps only Ibrox has had a consistently good surface this season. Hampden has been rubbish this season and I think even Celtic Park has had moments of resembling a tattie field (reporting myself for anti Irish racism).

I would like to see Championship clubs banding together to challenge this, possibly by boycotting the cups or just refusing promotion. I'm not sure what legal challenges can be brought, but surely the top league changing the rules of admission based on nothing more than a whim can't be legally watertight, especially when it isn't a breakaway division anymore.

That would only serve to harm the Championship clubs. The top flight clubs wouldn't give a shit; in fact, they'd probably welcome it.

Agreed with the general principle that the SPFL allowing this whole thing to happen is awfully murky. Not the result of the vote itself, but the manner by which the vote occurred, in only consulting the Premiership clubs. It's a disgrace.

16 hours ago, Nightmare said:

This won’t be the most detailed explanation ever, but I’ll give a brief synopsis.

It dates back to when our old board sold off the city end of the ground, where the purchasers of the land were planning on building a small stand & attached office space. The old terracing was then bulldozed before planning permission was even granted for this new project. Planning permission was then refused, and we’ve been sat looking at a hideous grassy mound / scaffolding ever since.

The city end is now back in the hands of the club, thankfully. So at some point I’m sure get it sorted, but it’s quite low down the list of priorities for the club at this point.

ETA - to answer the other part of the question, this end was sold and the terrace demolished in the late 2000s iirc. The land was only returned to the club a few years ago.

Be sure to check with Doncaster and the Bigot Brothers before building a stand, it may not be to their liking!

On 02/06/2024 at 13:08, Mediocre Pundit said:

The football authorities are responsible for collectively selling our game to broadcasters, sponsors etc. It’s perfectly acceptable for them to want to have a minimum standard for pitches, as with any other element of fan experience that flows through into broadcast experience. 

Good grass pitches make for a better spectacle. 

I’d also go further on broadcasting bit - clubs should be forced to fill the bits of the stadium that tv cameras face first. We often have games with decent crowds but stadium looks empty on TV. Again, stuff that can make the game a more attractive proposition. Point is, I’m not just against plastic pitches per se - it’s more about what our game should be / how we should market it. 

ETA: and for the exact reason we should bin VAR - not just because it’s shit, but because we could differentiate our game as “traditional” football. 

So we should show how attached to traditional football we are by making the experience of matchgoing fans who are actually keeping our clubs afloat considerably worse through forcing them into areas of stadiums with a poorer view, for the sake of television viewers who think it'd look better if fans were in shot?

20 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

So we should show how attached to traditional football we are by making the experience of matchgoing fans who are actually keeping our clubs afloat considerably worse through forcing them into areas of stadiums with a poorer view, for the sake of television viewers who think it'd look better if fans were in shot?

I actually thought it would be easier for clubs to move the Tv gantry. But whatever. 

On 06/06/2024 at 11:14, CumbyDiamond said:

Not comfortably if you are taller than 5ft 1"

Aye and if you dare put your legs over the seat in front to stretch them for a bit you'll get a steward running over to give you a row, then stared at for the rest of the game (unless they've chilled the f**k out since the last time i was there 7 years back).

On 06/06/2024 at 11:14, CumbyDiamond said:

Not comfortably if you are taller than 5ft 1"

On 05/06/2024 at 08:17, Disco Duck said:

Apart from the “sit” bit, assuming you’re over 5 foot 0.  

That's simply not true. I'm 6 foot 3 and have watched games in the main stand no problem. I choose not to because there are three superior viewing ends at the greatest ground in the country. 

And good to see your rancid chat is still a carbon copy of that from 5 years ago.  Champ.

Rancid chat after peddling the above nonsense? Sit down and shut up. 

On 03/06/2024 at 14:07, DiegoDiego said:

I quite like the idea of brining rattles back. I think.

Sure there was a QoTS fan with a rattle when we last played them. Think Dumbarton had a tambourine in their support too

On 05/06/2024 at 09:17, Nightmare said:

That would only serve to harm the Championship clubs. The top flight clubs wouldn't give a shit; in fact, they'd probably welcome it.

Agreed with the general principle that the SPFL allowing this whole thing to happen is awfully murky. Not the result of the vote itself, but the manner by which the vote occurred, in only consulting the Premiership clubs. It's a disgrace.

Ach aye, I was fairly sure boycotting the cups wasn't sensible, but I'd like to see us do something to challenge this. It's an appallingly harmful decision.

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's simply not true. I'm 6 foot 3 and have watched games in the main stand no problem. I choose not to because there are three superior viewing ends at the greatest ground in the country. 

Take it that's because nobody wants to sit next to you, giving you plenty room to man spread your legs.

Only place i've been with less leg room sitting down than Cappielow is Cliftonhill. 

47 minutes ago, virginton said:

Reacher-APV.thumb.jpg.7e9c86d9354139f7fb3766d783a18cf3.jpg

Perception 

skinny-topless-man-27194074.thumb.jpg.e2f1be3fa65d7565cbb924376c0ebd53.jpg

Reality 

On 03/06/2024 at 14:07, DiegoDiego said:

I quite like the idea of brining rattles back. I think.

Did QotS not try this a while back? I liked it.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Take it that's because nobody wants to sit next to you, giving you plenty room to man spread your legs.

Only place i've been with less leg room sitting down than Cappielow is Cliftonhill. 

Spare seats clearly wouldn't pose an issue for Livingston's travelling fanbase, but here we are. 

Meanwhile the vast majority of the spectators do not need to mewl about leg room, and also aren't watching the game from a Legoland dump located next to a parade of roundabouts. 

Thanks for playing anyway.

IMG_20240228_202524.thumb.jpg.1bf692807090b064a0fdac0cc320feb8.jpg

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, virginton said:

3  ends? greatest ground in the country?

Puro Despido Zapatos straight jacket gif Actor Trágico eternamente

Edited by Bairn in Exile

10 hours ago, virginton said:

Spare seats clearly wouldn't pose an issue for Livingston's travelling fanbase, but here we are. 

Meanwhile the vast majority of the spectators do not need to mewl about leg room, and also aren't watching the game from a Legoland dump located next to a parade of roundabouts. 

Thanks for playing anyway.

IMG_20240228_202524.thumb.jpg.1bf692807090b064a0fdac0cc320feb8.jpg

Rattled, verge of tears, etc.

20 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Did QotS not try this a while back? I liked it.

Not a case of trying it, they've been there for a very long time now, I think is just down to about 3 or 4 rattle twirlers now and even their rattling isn't as enthusiastic now but that may be down to having little to rattle about recently.