Line up face Germany

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

The same people obsessed with form and against the loyalty idea. Gilmour hadn't been playing for Brighton at that time and so wasn't in good 'form'

I know you don't believe I the whole form thing but you're reaching there with your example used. 

A players form is very much part of the thinking of managers, you only have to look at Southgate's squad where he dropped the likes of Rashford who has not been playing well for a while as one example of that

Edited by Butters Scotch

18 hours ago, ArabFC said:

The midfield four will be (without a doubt) McGregor, McTominay, McGinn and... either Christie or Gilmour.

Does Clarke want McTominay in the middle for increased physicality, or with the freedom to get forward? That's what I reckon it'll boil down to. Christie plays in the former case, Gilmour in the latter.

The other choice is RWB. I really can't see Forrest starting there against Germany up against Musiala. Hendry is a possibility, but I'd go Ralston.

And I think folk forget bow much Clarke loves Hanley. He starts if deemed ready.

So I go...

Gunn -- Ralston, Hendry, Hanley, Tierney, Robertson -- McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn -- Adams

Think it says a lot about Steve Clarke as a manager that of 10 outfield players there you have 2 left backs and 4 central midfielders, but if that turns out to be the line up nobody would bat an eyelid. He knows how to make the best of what he has.

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

I know you don't believe I the whole form thing but you're reaching there with your example used. 

A players form is very much part of the thinking of managers, you only have to look at Southgate's squad where he dropped the likes of Rashford who has not been playing well for a while as one example of that

Pointless trying to educate him mate, wasn't long ago he didn't think gilmour was even good enough.

3 hours ago, One off poster said:

Think it says a lot about Steve Clarke as a manager that of 10 outfield players there you have 2 left backs and 4 central midfielders, but if that turns out to be the line up nobody would bat an eyelid. He knows how to make the best of what he has.

This is one of the things I love about international football - you have to play the cards you're dealt, which leads to tactics you would never see in the club game. Stand-out examples are things like Romania's 3-6-1 with Hagi dictating the game with his left foot from the right touchline and Spain massacring Italy 4-0 without a forward. Austria are a bit like Scotland in that their star is a left back so they use him further forward and coming infield, but we're especially weird in having two of them. Then there's the perennial conflict between picking better players or a better formation. IMO it's a bigger test of a manager's talent than club football. 

4 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

I was just saying that was part of the reasoning as to why some Scottish fans were saying he shouldn't play in those games was the form argument. He wasn't having a good time of things at club level at that time.

With Scotland form is important for some players, but not for others - that we know. Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, Cooper, Gilmour, Patterson, Dykes and probably the majority of the squad don't need to be in form, it doesn't play into the thinking. Players that do are closer to the periphery Morgan, Forrest, Fraser, Shankland.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/billy-gilmour-warns-typical-scotland-33017644

According to the Daily Record "Steve Clarke has already been hatching a secret tactical masterplan to create an explosive opening night shock here at the Euros."

I suggested two personnel/tactical tweaks. It would be great if they actually happened.

Would I be surprised? Not really. They're brilliant ideas.

It would be equally great if it brought a win.

Watch this space.

Edited by SlayerX

5 minutes ago, IggyStooge said:

1 Angus Gunn

2 Anthony Ralston

3 Andrew Robertson

6 Kieran Tierney

13 Jack Hendry

15 Ryan Porteous

4 Scott McTominay

7 John McGinn

8 Callum McGregor

11 Ryan Christie

10 Che Adams

Is this confirmed?

I trust SSC but Gilmour would be in my starting 11. As press resistant as we have and not spectacularly efficient in a ‘super sub’ role. Christie is like a dog chasing a ball (in a good way) but I’m not sure we are high pressing here and would be really effective against a tiring German team. So very much hope I’m wrong.

This would have been my team also. They aren’t invincible and we aren’t good enough to sit back all game, and if it’s a straight choice between McGregor and Gilmour I’d always elect for CM as he recycles the ball quicker. BG is talented but is a tad slow in everything he does.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not Steve Clarke

We have 5 top class midfielders fighting for 4 spots. It's a great position to be in

I love Gilmour but Christie has shown himself to be so important in these games and I have no issues with him going with a more physical presence in there

I guess if we don't plan on playing through midfield then Gilmour loses effectiveness and value compared to McTominay/Christie/McGinn.

Not surprised at all with Clarke leaving out Gilmour, defensively and off the ball is a major weakness for him (as much as he tries and has improved in this side of the game)