Line up face Germany

On 04/06/2024 at 11:54, kennie makevin said:

We lose to Germany... thinking otherwise is , as you might phrase it, a fundamental lack of self-awareness. Therefore, what's the best method for making the knockout stage ? A. Going full pelt against Germany, getting beat 2 or 3 - 0 and losing MacTomimay, McGinn, Tierney for the next two games ? B. Playing sensibly, within our self, marshalling our slender resources to target two games we could possibly win ? 

What kind of flawed logic is this where trying to win a match = lots of injuries?  I’d argue there theoretically could be more chance of a player getting injured if they’re going half-hearted into challenges in a match where they’re trying to protect themselves.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I think that Gilmour can be the guy to take us up a level against pot 1 sides, as he showed in his excellent performance against the Netherlands, however there's an obvious risk involved as we would be sacrificing some physicality and athleticism in the middle of the park. If we want to genuinely compete in this game - which some signs point towards - then I'd pick Gilmour, but if we want to play more like we did against Spain then it should be McTominay in midfield and Christie in the forward line. 

The way I see it, the problem with playing Gilmour against pot 1 sides - and we saw this last night, even though it didn't stop him bossing the game - is that our centre-backs, with the exception of Tierney, just won't pass to him when he's got a couple of opponents near him, and it's when he can draw in a couple of opponents that Gilmour is most effective. So Germany just need to let Hanley and Hendry, if they play, have the ball and they've effecively taken Gilmour out of the game.

On Shankland, I don't actually think it's terribly close between him and Adams. From the start I can't really think of a time id take him over Adams. He just doesn't do enough without the ball, either when we have possession or don't. Adams runs relentlessly trying to move defenders all over the place even when the ball isn't coming his way. 

Shankland has a place in this squad. If we are behind against Switzerland or Hungary and they are camped, I want Shankland to be the guy sniffing about the 18 yard box. I expect hel be trusted off the bench if we need a goal, but from the start it's Adams for me. 

Posted (edited)
On 05/06/2024 at 20:29, JS_FFC said:

Clearly the plan has to be to sit back, absorb some pressure, try and nick a goal from a set piece or on the counter. A draw would be a great result, a smash and grab win would be unreal, a narrow defeat isn’t the end of the world.

Are you Largs alumnus?

You might as well do what the OP says and not play our best players because all you want to do is stifle them!

A narrow defeat might not be the end of the world but it might go a long way to be the ending of our campaign at the first hurdle again.

We've only three matches to secure progression. Writing the first one off with zero points will just heap more pressure on the following two.

I think you've listened too much to Scottish managers and pundits over the years. This kind of pish is what continues to hold the country back in international competition.

The manager must send the right signals to the players that he believes and trusts that they're good enough to beat Germany and anyone else for that matter, whether he truly believes it or not. That is his role to get the players believing in themselves.

Telling your players to camp out around your own box and try to 'nick' something from a set piece is the opposite of that, and will result in the usual manner of defeat.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

49 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Are you Largs alumnus?

You might as well do what the OP says and not play our best players because all you want to do is stifle them!

A narrow defeat might not be the end of the world but it might go a long way to be the ending of our campaign at the first hurdle again.

We've only three matches to secure progression. Writing the first one off with zero points will just heap more pressure on the following two.

I think you've listened too much to Scottish managers and pundits over the years. This kind of pish is what continues to hold the country back in international competition.

The manager must send the right signals to the players that he believes and trusts that they're good enough to beat Germany and anyone else for that matter, whether he truly believes it or not. That is his role to get the players believing in themselves.

Telling your players to camp out around your own box and try to 'nick' something from a set piece is the opposite of that, and will result in the usual manner of defeat.

Didn’t watch the Spain game? 

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

On Shankland, I don't actually think it's terribly close between him and Adams. From the start I can't really think of a time id take him over Adams. He just doesn't do enough without the ball, either when we have possession or don't. Adams runs relentlessly trying to move defenders all over the place even when the ball isn't coming his way. 

Shankland has a place in this squad. If we are behind against Switzerland or Hungary and they are camped, I want Shankland to be the guy sniffing about the 18 yard box. I expect hel be trusted off the bench if we need a goal, but from the start it's Adams for me. 

Adams makes the runs to give space to McGinn and McTominay so they can score the goals. 

Shankland isn't going to do that, he is the goalscorer. Shankland can come on to play with Adams not instead of him.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Adams barely playing over the 2 friendlies was really strange. Is there any injuries or knocks he's carying that we're not aware of?

He can't be starting Shonklund over Adams against Germany. Please be sensible Steve.

He missed Southampton's play-off semi-final with an injury and was only just back to come on as a sub for the final at Wembley.

12 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Adams makes the runs to give space to McGinn and McTominay so they can score the goals. 

Shankland isn't going to do that, he is the goalscorer. Shankland can come on to play with Adams not instead of him.

Yeah it's probably in modern football terms, a wee bit of a dated concept but I do like seeing the 2 up top, poacher and grafter combo. Seen it completely change how comfortable a defence is over the years plenty of times. Like I say, Shankland I think will have a say, but I don't see an argument to start him at all. 

I’m struggling to pick the midfield positions - I think I’m just about edging to Gilmour to start alongside McGregor with McTominay and McGinn in front. 

The other debatable positions it’s a back three of Porteous, Hendry and Tierney for me. Ralston at RWB and absolutely has to be Adams up front. 

Just picked my Fantasy Football team for the Euros and included Ryan Christie, yet I think he may not be in the first choice 11.

Obviously he may be.

But my logic is that he will almost inevitably play a big part because he's potentially the first choice replacement for any of six players. If McTominay, McGinn, McGregor or Gilmour drop out I think he's nailed on. If one of Robertson or Tierney drops out then the team could be rejigged and he drops in. It's even possible (though unlikely) that he comes in for a striker.

Such an important player, hence why he plays in almost every game.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Do we think Adams is fit to start next week? Seems strange he hasn't featured more in the two matches.

4 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Christie at right wingback? I wouldn't say no to that.

He's the kind of player that you'd trust no matter where he played.

It's something I've never really considered but as soon as I saw it suggested, it made a lot of sense. He's got all the atributes needed to play that position and wing back's an easier transition than traditional full back for a predominatly midfield player. I'd put Christie in there ahead of Ralston or McCrorie.

First 70 last night and first 70 vs Netherlands should be the framework for Germany. We could very well have won both of those matches if not for some better finishing and all the subs because they were friendlies. With that in mind, I think Gilmour has to play as he gives us the highest chance of keeping control and possession for passages of the game. 

29 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Leaving John McGinn out the team. Bold strategy.

Think he's been off it for a while.

Christie, Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay all offer more

20 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's something I've never really considered but as soon as I saw it suggested, it made a lot of sense. He's got all the atributes needed to play that position and wing back's an easier transition than traditional full back for a predominatly midfield player. I'd put Christie in there ahead of Ralston or McCrorie.

Except a right foot!

If there's any player I want on the bench, it's Shankland. I don't mean this in a negative way - if we need a goal he's the one player I'd want to bring on later in the game to find space. I'd start with Adams, even if the expectation is that he'll play 60-70 minutes. 

I think Hendry edges out Hanley. I'd pick a match sharp Hanley but he doesn't seem to be there. I'd pick Gilmour rather than Christie. Ralston or McCrorie 🤷‍♂️