24/25 Predictions

3 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

So the majority the posters on here think Annan will be last.

We've now beat both the relegated teams - u boys no F all

Into them pal

8 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

You scraped past ICT youths and a 10 man Arbroath side playing without any strikers. I'd maybe save the cockiness until you've played a few league games. 

9 hours ago, the philosopher said:

How did your bet go pal ?

sore at losing money.

I don't bet money I can't afford to lose. I think I'll survive. 

On 21/07/2024 at 00:45, the philosopher said:

Are you Thomas Hobbes? 

2 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Are you Thomas Hobbes? 

Fair play @MazzyStar ... you do ken some stuff ... 👏

Oh, and aye ... I had to ask my good friend Google who Thomas was ... 😎

I'm writing my prediction for the paper, and this is a nightmare. I've got my top four (in a TBD order) as Arbroath (with or without McIntyre), Alloa, QoS and Montrose. But I've had the other six clubs in just about every possible position.

I liked the look of Annan at the end of last season; I like Smith and Goss. They've recruited fairly well with Todd, Kilsby and Zaid. And they've done well in the League Cup. But I've had them in fifth and ninth in the last five minutes.

I think we've got a decent spine of a team (Long, Durnan, Shiels, Pignatiello, Sena, Gray, Ruth) and have enough to stay up. But a few injuries hurt us big time, and there's probably still a question mark over Faz after how our last League One season ended.

Kelty losing Lyon and Gourlay is a blow, but their result against Hibs really caught my eye, and Tidser seems to know what he's doing. And Stenny? Well they were miles above us last season and don't concede goals. I think they've got a cracking manager, but they finished with a whimper and lack attacking firepower.

That leaves me with the two unimpressive full-time sides. God knows what's happening at Inverness. A points deduction might come into play; they've still probably got the best striker in the league in Billy McKay, but that's negated by Ferguson, the shambles they are and the fact their squad is mainly youth regens. And Cove. I've not fancied much of their summer business at all, they have Hartley in charge and they've lost Burrell. But they'll have the money to sign some decent players between now and the end of the window. They won't go down, will they?

Basically this is a lot harder than I expected. There's no stand-out side and no absolute diddies. 

Edited by Jan Vojáček

37 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm writing my prediction for the paper, and this is a nightmare. I've got my top four (in a TBD order) as Arbroath (with or without McIntyre), Alloa, QoS and Montrose. But I've had the other six clubs in just about every possible position.

I liked the look of Annan at the end of last season; I like Smith and Goss. They've recruited fairly well with Todd, Kilsby and Zaid. And they've done well in the League Cup. But I've had them in fifth and ninth in the last five minutes.

I think we've got a decent spine of a team (Long, Durnan, Shiels, Pignatiello, Sena, Gray, Ruth) and have enough to stay up. But a few injuries hurt us big time, and there's probably still a question mark over Faz after how our last League One season ended.

Kelty losing Lyon and Gourlay is a blow, but their result against Hibs really caught my eye, and Tidser seems to know what he's doing. And Stenny? Well they were miles above us last season and don't concede goals. I think they've got a cracking manager, but they finished with a whimper and lack attacking firepower.

That leaves me with the two unimpressive full-time sides. God knows what's happening at Inverness. A points deduction might come into play; they've still probably got the best striker in the league in Billy McKay, but that's negated by Ferguson, the shambles they are and the fact their squad is mainly youth regens. And Cove. I've not fancied much of their summer business at all, they have Hartley in charge and they've lost Burrell. But they'll have the money to sign some decent players between now and the end of the window. They won't go down, will they?

Basically this is a lot harder than I expected. There's no stand-out side and no absolute diddies. 

Can't fault any of that.  Getting my first view of this new Queens side tonight so will have a better idea of us after that.

Experience tells me that you really can't read much into LC Group stage results - they never seem to be much of a barometer for the real deal in the league games.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Losing Lyon & Gourlay indeed a blow. However in Flatman & McArvel I think we've found a couple of gems. Allan if he stays fit should do a turn also. We were lucky against Hibs & tonight will be a far greater measure of where we are. My prediction for Kelty is 6th or there abouts with ups & downs.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Under Hartley nothing can be ruled out. Defensively we are a mess and have been since his return. Conceded 63 in 36 league games last season (1.75 avg per game). 

Has the money dried with our previous sponsor Terry Cobban (ACE) departing under unceremonious circumstances, quite possibly. It looks that way to most fans. 

A poor start and I doubt we can even afford to send him packing with still 2 years left on his contract. Up a creek without a paddle.

We're still looking for 6 more players, most will be loans and we're waiting in hope. They could severely dictate our placing this season but it's a fickle situation to be in. Never fall in love with a loanee.

I heard Alfie Bavidge touted amongst the terraces. He's not been involved in any matchday squad for the Dons in the League Cup. Wouldn't surprise me to see us in for Findlay Marshall too although a CM is bottom of our priority.

I'd imagine we'll be tapping Dundee and Dundee United for a few.

Only 3 new signings to date.

Declan Glass, I rate highly for L1.

Grady McGrath is an unknown at this level but could work with the right fellow striker alongside him.

Ryan Harrington should be fine at this level. Arguably came from a higher standard with Connahs Quay Nomads last season.

I'd have us anywhere from 5th to 9th right now.

Could this be the tightest, most competitive L1 in a considerable time. Looks that way to me.

1 hour ago, leomessi1984 said:

Losing Lyon & Gourlay indeed a blow. However in Flatman & McArvel I think we've found a couple of gems. Allan if he stays fit should do a turn also. We were lucky against Hibs & tonight will be a far greater measure of where we are. My prediction for Kelty is 6th or there abouts with ups & downs.

Really hoping Lyon can stay fit. Very early days but he looks far too good for this level. My new favourite already. 

I've figured it out. Close thread.

1. Alloa Athletic

2. Arbroath

3. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

4. Queen of the South

5. Montrose

6. Stenhousemuir

7. Kelty Hearts

8. Dumbarton

9. Cove Rangers

10. Annan Athletic

On 23/07/2024 at 14:47, 19QOS19 said:

Really hoping Lyon can stay fit. Very early days but he looks far too good for this level. My new favourite already. 

Played practically every game for us last season and was ace so maybe due an injury or two now neeb(joke by the way) 😂😂 scores a few as well 

On 19/07/2024 at 11:02, The Moonster said:

Every season, in every division, there's a team who do well in the League Cup groups, their fans get all excited about the season and fans of other clubs tout them to win things yet when the season starts their team turns out to be utter shite. Every year without fail. East Fife looking good for it this year. 

Said the above in the League 2 predictions. Annan looking absolute stick ons for it in League 1 tbqhwy.