Non-Scotland plans in Germany

For those staying in Germany for a while what's the plans outside Scotland matchdays other than the pub or fanzones?

So far we're going to Spain v Croatia in Berlin this weekend, got a night in Bamberg on the way back from Stuttgart to sample the local beer and heading to Dresden and Leipzig for a couple of days. Trying not to cram too much in and leaving space in case tickets pop up at a reasonable price for any other games.

I dont drink so convinced my mate the following...

Munich- Free Walking tour

Zurich-fanzone for Swiss v Hungary game.  The next day FIFA museum and then Free walking tour.

Cologne-Free walking tour

Stuttgart-Free walking tour. Mercedes museum.  Porsche Museum.  Also visit the town of Essingen.

But we are flexible.

I was intending to take a trip from my base in Berlin to Poznan in Poland, but I luckily had a taxi driver from there the other day who told me it's a terrible time to visit, major building work going on in the old town, so he recommended Szczecin instead. I'll probably just wander about Berlin wasting my Interrail pass.

It's our family holiday, 5 of us going but only my older son and I are interested in football so we'll be doing lots of non-football things. We don't know Germany so I'll be reading this thread for ideas.

Next week we're staying near Venlo on the Dutch border and I'm planning on going to Arnhem (because I'm a middle-aged man so I automatically developed an interest in WW2) and the German-Belgian-Dutch three country point, because I've never seen one of those. The boys will go to the Toverland amusement park, looks quite good.

For the week around the game in Stuttgart we're staying in the Black Forest and will probably do a lot of the touristy stuff there, like Frieburg, Baden Baden and the Black Forest railway. Eat cakes and swim in lakes. I'm looking forward to trying one of those summer toboggans. We'll send the two boys to Europa Park and leave them to it.

Karlsruhe looks impressive and we might make a trip to Strasbourg because we're nerds. 

If we get knocked out or if we have a game within travel distance, we'd love to spend some time in Saxony, see Leipzig and Dresden and do some walks in Saxon Switzerland.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's our family holiday, 5 of us going but only my older son and I are interested in football so we'll be doing lots of non-football things. We don't know Germany so I'll be reading this thread for ideas.

Next week we're staying near Venlo on the Dutch border and I'm planning on going to Arnhem (because I'm a middle-aged man so I automatically developed an interest in WW2) and the German-Belgian-Dutch three country point, because I've never seen one of those. The boys will go to the Toverland amusement park, looks quite good.

For the week around the game in Stuttgart we're staying in the Black Forest and will probably do a lot of the touristy stuff there, like Frieburg, Baden Baden and the Black Forest railway. Eat cakes and swim in lakes. I'm looking forward to trying one of those summer toboggans. We'll send the two boys to Europa Park and leave them to it.

Karlsruhe looks impressive and we might make a trip to Strasbourg because we're nerds. 

If we get knocked out or if we have a game within travel distance, we'd love to spend some time in Saxony, see Leipzig and Dresden and do some walks in Saxon Switzerland.

Good shout about Toverland, have added it to our itinerary, less than 2 hrs from our Villa.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I was intending to take a trip from my base in Berlin to Poznan in Poland, but I luckily had a taxi driver from there the other day who told me it's a terrible time to visit, major building work going on in the old town, so he recommended Szczecin instead. I'll probably just wander about Berlin wasting my Interrail pass.

I agree with the taxi driver.  Her mother came from Poznan the other week.  Said all the roadworks have been a nightmare.  I go to Poznan twice a year and to be honest,  ot that much there considering it is about the size of Edinburgh.

I suppose you have been to Berlin before, but loads to do and see.  It has historical, third reich communism and post wall stuff as well as being a party city.

Who knows, if you buy that kilt you showed me might even get an invite to their thriving fetish scene 😉

Plenty of Nazi history in Munich if you're into that sort of thing.

The first concentration camp, Dachau is fairly easy to get to and is free. Also free is the NS-Dokumentationszentrum just off Konigsplatz.

This video documents the 2.5km route that Hitler, Goring et al took during the Beerhall Putsch.

15 hours ago, GordonS said:

German-Belgian-Dutch three country point, because I've never seen one of those.

Thanks for mentioning this. We're driving from Aachen down to Luxembourg City for a couple of days and it's pretty much en route. Will suggest it to my driver (my dad).

No fixed plans at the moment but thinking of taking a day trip to one of the lakes in Bavaria.

From Stuttgart a trip to Strasbourg for the France v Netherlands game is an option for us. 

From a previous visit I remember the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart being quite good if anyone is interested in cars or has a desire to see the popemobile (assuming it's still there)!

18 hours ago, GordonS said:

When in Arnhem get a bus to Oosterbeek and visit the Airborne Museum Hartenstein, The Hartenstein was the HQ for the 1st Airborne division during Market Garden, highly recommended if you're interested in ww2.

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Plenty of Nazi history in Munich if you're into that sort of thing.

The first concentration camp, Dachau is fairly easy to get to and is free. Also free is the NS-Dokumentationszentrum just off Konigsplatz.

This video documents the 2.5km route that Hitler, Goring et al took during the Beerhall Putsch.

A friend of mine is a tour guide in Munich, his tours are really good. On one of his tours he took us to Dachau and it’s such an interesting place, you can really feel such a heavy and sad atmosphere and I don’t know how to say it without it sounding terrible, but it’s such a great place to visit and I really recommend going there.

Edited by Jambomo

34 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

A friend of mine is a tour guide in Munich, his tours are really good. On one of his tours he took us to Dachau and it’s such an interesting place, you can really feel such a heavy and sad atmosphere and I don’t know how to say it without it sounding terrible, but it’s such a great place to visit and I really recommend going there.

I visited Auschwitz on a school exchange trip when I was 16, and I'd say that seeing a death camp is something everyone should do once in their life if they get the chance. You can read about it and watch films but there's nothing to match being where it happened.

Anyway, not to make the tone too heavy, an anecdote. I think I heard it on QI. Disney Studios employees didn't always find it the best place to work and for a while they called it Mouschwitz. After a memo came round telling them anyone caught saying this would be fired, they started calling it Duckau. 

You can do a day trip from Munich to the Eagle nest ( from memory I believe the tours are usually on Mondays and Fridays) I've done it a couple of times, the scenery is spectacular, from the car park at the Eagles nest you can walk down the road and see the ruins of the Berghof.

On 10/06/2024 at 19:49, shibbydoo said:

Europa park!!

Yes! Booked this earlier. Group of us will be there on the Saturday before the Hungary game. Looks cracking and reasonably priced as well! 

A couple of days in Copenhagen before hitting Germany, then, based in Hannover, so will see plenty of it. Day trip to Bremen planned and will likely pop up to Hamburg on a game day there for some beers with whoever is in town.

17 hours ago, Jambomo said:

It is unreal walking through a nice suburbs area and then coming across the wire fence and  the camp