Germany - Scotland

Deserved post mortem aside, one thing is absolutely true. This is tournament football and there are still 6 points on offer. But how you get this squads chins up after that, I do not know. Some very hard decisions and conversations need had. 

The game was 90 minutes of shootie-in and we blame the goalie for letting some in?

It was one-way traffic because we couldn't get out of our own half. That was down to the midfield being totally unable to play through the press - the much-vaunted McGregor, McTominay, and McGinn just didn't do their most basic job. (Not helped by Ralston's limitations but he's not so vaunted). Just play Gilmour or we'll never get out of our own half.

What gets me is that I can never understand why Scotland can't perform in a big game at a big tournament? How can Australia give Argentina a game and lose narrowly at the last world cup and how can Iceland beat England at the Euros in 2016 or whatever it was ? Yet every time Scotland are up against a semi decent opponent, we shite the bed ? Why is that ? It's not about the players because their are teams who have worse players than us that do well in major tournaments, so what is it? Mentality? Stage fright?

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I don't think Germany being a level above can be used as the main excuse as to why they've utterly shat it here.

Giving Kroos the freedom of the pitch, Porteous being a psycho again and Gunn's hologram hands are not a good recipe. Not sure who got passmarks though.

MacGregor was awful, Robertson, Ralston, Christie and donkey Hanely, again, all pish. Hendry looked like a toddler against the Deutsch.

If we play as awful against the Swiss and Hungarians as we did tonight and for the past 7 or 8 games, Clarke needs emptied.

1 minute ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

What gets me is that I can never understand why Scotland can't perform in a big game at a big tournament? How can Australia give Argentina a game and lose narrowly at the last world cup and how can Iceland beat England at the Euros in 2016 or whatever it was ? Yet every time Scotland are up against a semi decent opponent, we shite the bed ? Why is that ? It's not about the players because their are teams who have worse players than us that do well in major tournaments, so what is it? Mentality? Stage fright?

Whom do you think lacks mentality or suffers stage fright? 

Journalists slating Clarke for not giving them headlines in the interviews and press conference. STFU you infants.

He owes you nothing. His one job is to do what's best for the squad, and right now that means giving away no criticism in public, especially while emotions are raw. He did exactly the right thing by playing a straight bat.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Good point Mate.

I was miles off. I've said already, really didn't expect the gulf to be so great.

Easy to be smart after the event.

1 minute ago, Crùbag said:

Giving Kroos the freedom of the pitch, Porteous being a psycho again and Gunn's hologram hands are not a good recipe. Not sure who got passmarks though.

MacGregor was awful, Robertson, Ralston, Christie and donkey Hanely, again, all pish. Hendry looked like a toddler against the Deutsch.

If we play as awful against the Swiss and Hungarians as we did tonight and for the past 7 or 8 games, Clarke needs emptied.

I think what you are saying is that our squad is pish and the manager can't work a sensible formation?

I agree.

Just now, itzdrk said:

Tonight, I would say Christie for one. He was wild-eyed and on the verge of tears. And Porteous, obviously.

It was the sternest possible test and there's no shame for less experiences players in wilting a bit. The rest of us would have adopted the foetal position and prayed for the sweet release of death.

Qualifying with ease was not necessarily a good thing as we can see with this shitshow. Embarrassing stuff, no way can a positive spin be put to it. Gunn must be dropped for starters

3 minutes ago, AndyX said:

The game was 90 minutes of shootie-in and we blame the goalie for letting some in?

It can be argued that with competent goalkeeping we only lose that 2-0 (if we are ruling out Germany's goals due to shite goalkeeping then only fair I rule out the flukey goal we score) and finish with 11 men on the park.

We'd put that down as a shite performance but expected result and dust ourselves down without being too down on ourselves but still with huge concerns.

It's not Gunn's fault we lost and it's not his fault we were absolutely fucking insipid but he's the difference in the level of defeat IMO.

Just now, Sonam said:

Qualifying with ease was not necessarily a good thing as we can see with this shitshow. Embarrassing stuff, no way can a positive spin be put to it. Gunn must be dropped for starters

Norway Hibsed it against us, giving away a winning position late in the game with two awful bits of defending, brought about by a stupid substitution and change of shape. If we'd lost that 1-0 it would have been a very different campaign.

Just now, allyo said:

I was miles off. I've said already, really didn't expect the gulf to be so great.

Easy to be smart after the event.

I thought it was a daft remark when I read it this morning.

We should have been capable of doing a lot better than we did.  It's silly to see our side as on a par with theirs though.  

I was fairly pessimistic about tonight even though I was looking forward to it.

It turns out, however, that I wasn't nearly pessimistic enough.  An absolutely pitiful display.

Just now, itzdrk said:

Don't know mate? But it's just just weird that we seem to drop our heads quickly at major tournaments, other countries with less quality than this Scotland team/squad can do well at major tournaments, yet Scotland can't? I find it very strange.

I mean just look at Australia and Morocco at the last world cup, would you say they are better than this Scotland team? 

So why can they go far in a tournament ?and we look like we are going out at the first hurdle?