Germany - Scotland

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Singing about a loss. Have some pride and bin it.

Anyway, "och aye that wee bit hill and glen" sounds like something they'd say on Take The High Road.

I've always like the song Caledonia,

Think that's a much better anthem than Flower of Scotland.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Over 25 years ago I started asking when anyone would notice that the standard of player coming through was well below previous generations. I stopped asking about 10 years ago when I realised almost nobody in any position to do something about it even recognises the problem. What's the point, I might as well stop caring and enjoy the spectacle. 

Players coming through?  There are a hardly any club level players coming through.  Just look at the numbers of Scottish U21s getting regular game time at Scottish Premiership level, it's a handful, literally 3 or 4.  

One of the most damning things about our game is that about 60% of the players in our top national league are non-Scots and how many of them are playing at these Euros?  That's right exactly 0.  To borrow a phrase from The Thick of It, our top league is 'stuffed to the gills with dreck' because most teams aren't interested in developing talent.  They want it cheap and easy.  

Even now we are pretty close to asking supporters to bring boots to fill some positions but the really scary thing is most of our best players are around their peak now so when guys like Robertson or McGinn retire there is no one close to that level to replace them.

As bad as that was last night the Scottish national team is going to be in a record bad place in the 2030s.  At this point we might as well forget youth coaching and concentrate on scouring Ancestry.com for Scottish grand dads.

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Just watching the highlights and that Porteous tackle was a complete shocker. He could have cleared that without going in like a thug.

He should be nowhere near the first XI anytime soon.

Edit - He got a hand shake from Clarke as he walks off. 💀 - Skull Emoji 📖 Emoji Meaning ✂ Copy & 📋 Paste (◕‿◕) SYMBL

I thought it was Nagglesman that shook his hand. 

24 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Just look at the numbers of Scottish U21s getting regular game time at Scottish Premiership level, it's a handful, literally 3 or 4.  

Not sure that's relevant. Our best youths are playing in other leagues having left at 16/17.

4 hours ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

I think Hickey, Ferguson and dykes are Huge misses for us too.

Serie A midfielder of the season but I honestly don't think, even if he had been 100% fit, Clarke would've given him anything but 20 minutes here or there in this tournament.

That for me is where Clarke is being shown up, a steadfast inability to look beyond plan A and the players who once upon a time made plan A work.

Guys like Lewis Ferguson and Max Johnston SHOULD be getting far more minutes at full international level than they have so far managed at this stage of their career. 

We'll leave somebody like John Souttar or even Stephen Kingsley at home and take Liam Cooper. Im no apologist for either player and there could be debates on the merits on each for another 100 pages on here, but how that decision benefits our national team in the short, medium or long term truly baffles me.

Last nights result and performance, which let's be honest isn't a one off, shines the spotlight directly on the manager and his circle the wagons / club team mentality in the press conference after the match is wearing thin as well.

He and the players will say all the right things going into the Swiss game but they've been saying the same things for too long with no positive reaction on the back of it.

Put up or shut up.

Gunn is getting it in the neck to such an extent because his worst error is the first goal. Looking at the amount of room Germany were already getting in midfield and then the way the game went afterwards it was probably only a matter of time until the goal came and we were always going to be comfortably beaten there, but you never know if frustration could have started setting in for them if we'd kept them to 0-0 for even 25 or 30 minutes.

Instead we went behind after 10 minutes through a frankly disgraceful piece of goalkeeping. That is a ridiculously easy save that you'd be livid at a Lowland League goalkeeper failing to make. We know that every goalkeeper in this squad is error prone but that mistake is several orders of magnitude worse than Clark v Norway, which was itself an error that should simply never happen with goalkeepers at this level, and the game was over with it.

There were many more problems with the performance in every other area of the park too, but when you're going behind through a mistake that every goalkeeper in League Two would be humiliated by everyone's going to point at the goalkeeper first and foremost.

48 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Players coming through?  There are a hardly any club level players coming through.  Just look at the numbers of Scottish U21s getting regular game time at Scottish Premiership level, it's a handful, literally 3 or 4.  

One of the most damning things about our game is that about 60% of the players in our top national league are non-Scots and how many of them are playing at these Euros?  That's right exactly 0.  To borrow a phrase from The Thick of It, our top league is 'stuffed to the gills with dreck' because most teams aren't interested in developing talent.  They want it cheap and easy.  

Even now we are pretty close to asking supporters to bring boots to fill some positions but the really scary thing is most of our best players are around their peak now so when guys like Robertson or McGinn retire there is no one close to that level to replace them.

As bad as that was last night the Scottish national team is going to be in a record bad place in the 2030s.  At this point we might as well forget youth coaching and concentrate on scouring Ancestry.com for Scottish grand dads.

Most of our young talents are in the English club youth system. Arsenal are trying to woo a 15yo at St Johnstone as an example of how they operate. 

It's up to you to decide whether that's better for their development or not, but the days of judging our youth talent by how many are playing in our top flight has been gone for the best part of a decade.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'd blame McTominay a fair bit for the first, FWIW. Just strolls back and watches Wirtz stroll unmarked to the edge of the box. Meanwhile Ralston, who it seemed was meant to follow Wirtz, was yet again caught ball watching.

You wonder why those two were slow to react to things.

49 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think part of that problem is English clubs nicking all our best young talent due to them paying extortionate wages to 16 year old players who are breaking through at the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee united.

I heard Neil Lennon mentioning this on the radio a couple of weeks ago and I thought he was absolutely spot on in that he thought if clubs could keep hold of these types of young players and promote them to 1st team then it would benefit the country massively.

Just look at how Aaron Hickey, Josh Doig and Lewis Ferguson all developed at Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen respectively and have went on to develop in Italy and England to become really top players.

I think the main onus is on the parents or those guys though, they need to not see the pound signs in there eyes and put the development of their kids first and hopefully we should see alot more talent emerge in the future.

I don't know if it would be possible for the SPFL to bring back the two academy graduates rule that used to be around (as in you would need to have a minimum of two players from your academy in match day squad or even in the starting line up would be better imo.

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Who came up with the idea to have two match threads?

Yeah Admin need to clear out the general Scotland forum and move it to the Euro one

7 hours ago, Sonam said:

Not helped by xenophobic national anthem that is essentially about a defeat. Self fulfilling prophecy. Time to sing about something else, unique and that has no mention of England for starters. Makes me cringe tbh

FoS has one main fault and it's not this. The main fault is that it's a fucking dirge.

Everything about that performance was terrible, but I think your main problem (and one that unfortunately there's no short term solution to) is that at the top level you cannot afford to have defenders who can't play football under pressure. Every time the ball came to Ralston, Hendry or Porteous, and Germany pressed them even a little, they simply hoofed it away.

You can't play like that for 90 minutes and expect not to concede.